These Simple Cornbread Muffins are superb! They are sweet. Crumbly. And perfectly moist.
Our families try to find any excuse they can to eat more cornbread. Except that requires WE make it for them. Thankfully, this recipe is super simple and comes together in just about 30 minutes. It also requires very few ingredients and is far healthier than most cornbread mixes.
Before this recipe, we used to only make cornbread with chili. But now have a new found love of cornbread for breakfast. Yum! Picture this: fresh out of the oven cornbread muffins with butter + honey. A couple of sausage links and a handful of fresh berries on the side. Now that is delicious!
Hope you Enjoy! =)
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cane sugar (or substitute)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350(F) degrees and prepare muffin tin with non-stick spray. In a small bowl, mix milk and lemon juice and let curdle for a few minutes. Add baking soda and salt then stir again. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk butter and sugar until combined. Add applesauce and eggs then whisk again. Add in the milk mixture and whisk vigorously until evenly combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in cornmeal and flour. Do not over mix. It should look a little bit thin and somewhat lumpy. Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin tine. Bake for 25-27 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Will keep in an airtight container for a few days.