Chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie
If you are looking for a delicious dessert, a morning drink or a tasty mid-day snack, our chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie is the answer. With just six ingredients and 3 minutes of your time, you can make a fantastic, dessert-like smoothie that is just as nutritious as it is delicious.
Easy Chocolate Smoothie Recipe
Smoothies are a wonderful treat that is perfect for both dessert and breakfast- not many recipes can claim that! Almond milk, bananas, chocolate cocoa powder, peanut butter and honey come together to make a delicious drink that will keep you full all morning and satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time. Since the recipe only takes a few minutes to put together, you can enjoy this smoothie recipe any day, anytime! It is healthy, void of any saturated fat and, most importantly, delicious!
How to Make a Chocolate Smoothie
When you think about smoothies, you likely automatically think about fruit. Most smoothies are made using a mix of fruits and ice, giving you a slushy like drink. But what if you want something a little more rich and decadent? What if you want something with some chocolate mixed in? Or maybe just a way to use up those ripe bananas you have on hand. Our banana chocolate and peanut butter smoothie is what you should have! Here is how we make such a rich smoothie that is still healthy and tasty.
- Prepare your bananas by placing them in the freezer overnight. Frozen bananas will add to the creamy texture of the smoothie. Make sure your frozen bananas are nice and ripe- the riper the banana, the more natural sweetness that will be added to your delicious smoothie.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large blender, adding the unsweetened cocoa powder, almond milk, peanut butter, vanilla extract, frozen bananas and honey. You can measure the ingredients right into the blender – no need for an extra bowl or cup!
- Puree the smoothie on high speed, blending it until it is completely smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into your cup and enjoy!
Smoothies are usually very easy, delicious recipes and ours is no exception- you can make it quickly and with just a few choice ingredients. It really is a perfect drink!
What to Add to a Chocolate Smoothie
Another part of smoothie recipes that is wonderful is that they are very customizable. You can add almost anything to a smoothie, blend it up and have a delicious, frozen drink that will keep you cool in the warm summer heat and be full of ingredients that you love. Here are a few ingredients that we have added into our banana, chocolate and peanut butter smoothie to make it more healthy, nutritious and delicious. Follow the instructions, add what you love and then enjoy!
- A 1/4 cup of chocolate protein powder or 1/4 cup of vanilla protein powder
- A cup of Greek yogurt instead of almond milk (be sure to use unsweetened Greek yogurt to keep the carb count down!). Yogurt also has no saturated fat so it is a great option in your smoothie recipes.
- Almond butter in place of peanut butter (almost any nut butter will work as ingredients in smoothie recipes)
- Add some sliced almonds to give a little texture to the smoothie
- Maple syrup in place of honey. Using maple syrup will also make this recipe vegan and give that delicious maple syrup taste at the same time!
- Coconut milk in place of almond milk
- Add a cup of packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds or hemp seeds
- Add dark chocolate chips along with the unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add a handful of strawberries to make a chocolate, peanut butter, banana strawberry smoothie
So many ingredients will go perfectly in our chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie that it will definitely become a base recipe for almost all your smoothies. Start with our perfect recipe and toss in the add ins that you love then turn on the blender.
How to Make Chocolate Protein Shakes Taste Better
If you have had one of those pre mixed chocolate banana shakes that you can get in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, you likely know how unappetizing they can be. Not all chocolate peanut butter banana shakes are made the same! The ones found in the grocery store definitely are not as good as the fresh protein shake you can make at home using frozen bananas, unsweetened cocoa powder, almond milk and peanut butter. Here are a few tips to help make your chocolate protein smoothie taste good:
- Use natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup or agave. Protein powder can have a chalky after tastes so a delicious sweetener will help cover that taste up and make your banana protein smoothie taste much better.
- Don’t add too much protein powder or your chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie will not taste great. A little protein powder goes a long way!
- Use other ingredients other that protein powder to make your chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie. There are actually lots of ingredients in our recipe already that have lots of protein. Almond milk and peanut butter are already full of protein, giving you lots of natural proteins with flavors that you love.
With more than 7 grams of protein already in our peanut butter smoothie with banana recipe, you really don’t need to add anything else in order to get a good amount of protein. Since our recipe is already perfectly crafted, you can follow our recipe exactly and get a tasty, delicious smoothie that we know you will love.
Make Ahead Smoothie Recipes
There are a few ways to make our smoothie recipe even easier and even better. Yes, it only takes a few minutes of time to put together already but these little tips make it even faster and, in some ways, better.
- When you place the bananas in the freezer, be sure to smash them first. Put the bananas in a gallon sized zippered bag, seal the bag and then mash them with your hands. Smashing the bananas will help them freeze faster and, when you go to use the frozen bananas in the chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, they will mix faster in the blender, getting you a smooth smoothie even quicker!
- If you have extra chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, pour it into popsicle molds and freeze to make a delicious pop for later.
- Make the chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie recipe in full and then pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze. When you are ready to enjoy a smoothie, just place the frozen smoothie ice cubes in the blender and mix- you will have a delicious chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie in no time! No need to measure anything!
While delicious smoothie recipes are already very easy and fast to make, these little shortcuts will help you save time in the morning when you want a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie right away. It only takes a few minutes total time to put together this recipe and we know you will love it! Perfect for dessert, healthy enough for breakfast, this smoothie recipe is a total win!
If you love this awesome chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie recipe, we know that you will love some of the other delicious recipes we have on our site. Sign up for our email and have awesome, simple, time saving recipes sent right to your inbox. We will email you things that we know you will love! From delicious smoothie recipes to hearty dinners, we have everything! Send us your email address today and get ready to try some great new recipes.Print
You can’t go wrong with chocolate, peanut butter and banana blended in a glass to create a perfect shake!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Place everything in a high-speed blender for about 30 seconds then serve immediately.
- If you are craving a chocolate banana and peanut butter shake but do not have unsweetened cocoa powder, you can use hot cocoa mix in it’s place. However, eliminate the honey or agave as hot cocoa mix is already heavily sweetened. You can still get that yummy chocolate taste but you will also be getting a little extra sweetness in your chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie.
- Try using different kinds of milk in our chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie recipe. Almond milk can easily be replaced with unsweetened coconut milk, regular whole milk or even chocolate milk for some extra chocolate flavor. Whatever kind of milk you love and have on hand will work and taste delicious.
- Buy a big bunch of bananas and let them ripen until they are almost black. Peel the bananas and freeze them all in a large zippered bag. This way, anytime you want a smoothie, you have bananas ready to go right into the blender! Don’t forget to smash the bananas in the bag to make them easier to blend and getting your smoothie in your cup in just a few minutes total time.