Breakfast tater tot casseroles are always such a great one-dish meal option. With this recipe, you can use a few ingredients that you likely have on hand to make a tasty, fast, breakfast all in one pan. Layers of flavor with very little effort!
- One Dish Breakfast Casserole
- How to Make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Breakfast Prep
- Add Some Flavor
- Reheating Tater Tot Casserole
- Simple Breakfast Casserole
One Dish Breakfast Casserole
Making breakfast should always be easy and with this breakfast tater tot casserole, it definitely is. After all, when you first wake up, you are likely hungry and still a little tired so a quick, hot breakfast is always a good idea. You also probably do not want to do a lot of dishes after cooking. Something that can be made inside one pan is probably quite intriguing. Well, our tater tot breakfast casserole checks all of these boxes.
- It is simple
- It is easy
- It cooks in one dish
- It is super tasty
Everything you could want in the morning!
How to Make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Making this easy breakfast recipe only takes a few steps and 5 main ingredients that you may already have in your fridge. Five minutes of prep time and in about 45 minutes total and you will be eating a hot breakfast!
- Spread the frozen tater tots in your casserole dish
- Layer the cooked breakfast sausage over the potatoes in the pan
- Whisk the milk and eggs together using a hand mixer, fork or regular whisk (add some salt and pepper to the egg mixture, if you’d like)
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and sausage
- Top with cheese
- Bake in your preheated oven
- Once cooked, serve and enjoy!
Not only is this recipe quick to put together but it also makes about six servings which means it is a perfect dish to make for a crowd. Keep this recipe in mind around the holidays when you have family over or anytime you will be servings a large group breakfast. It is also ideal for brunch. Place the cooked casserole right on a buffet table and your guests can serve themselves.
Easy Breakfast Prep
This recipe for tater tot breakfast casserole calls for pre cooked, crumbled sausage. While you can definitely cook the sausage the morning you are making the casserole, you can also make it ahead of time so that you have it on hand, ready to go.
I like to make a big batch of ground sausage, cooking a few pounds at a time in a big skillet. I crumble it and then divide it into zippered plastic bags to store in the freezer.
When you want to make this recipe (or any recipes that have crumbled meat), you can simply spread the crumbled, frozen sausage over the top of the frozen potato layer and proceed with the recipe as written. You can also do this easy prep with ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey.
Add Some Flavor
Breakfast tater tot casserole is designed to be simple and straight forward. However, you can add a few ingredients to make this dish more flavorful and more suited to your food preferences. For example, our recipe suggests using sliced green bell peppers or sliced onions, layering them on to of the cooked meat.
Here are a few more ideas for you to try:
- Use a few cups shredded cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella or in conjunction with the mozzarella
- Add a little extra fresh ground black pepper or even red pepper flakes to make a spicy casserole dish
- Try a different meat, using ground beef, bacon, ham or chicken in place of sausage
- Sweet potato tater tots or shredded potatoes work wonderfully
- A quarter teaspoon of nutmeg whisked into the egg mixture can add some nice winter spice flavor
If you have a great addition to our tater tot breakfast casserole recipe that you love, let us know by leaving a message in the comments below! We love to hear your reviews and how you make our recipes even more delicious and unique. While you’re at it, send us your email address and we will send you even more tasty recipes!
Reheating Tater Tot Casserole
Since this recipe does make a nice big dish of breakfast deliciousness, you may have some extra leftover. You can definitely save this and reheat it the next day.
When you are ready to enjoy a slice the next morning, place the casserole in a microwavable container with a microwave cover which will help the heating process and also prevent your microwave from getting dirty! Reheat for about one minute and enjoy.
Can you freeze tater tot casserole?
You can freeze this tater tot breakfast casserole after it has been completely baked and then reheat it in the oven later on. So, if you are looking to make your mornings even easier, make this recipe completely, from start to finish, and then wrap it well and freeze. Move it to the fridge and let it defrost overnight then place it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes to make it nice and fresh!
What’s good with tater tots?
Almost everything! Think of tater tots simply as potatoes and then you will get lots of ideas. We love breakfast meats, onion slices, eggs milk and pretty much any diced veggies.
How do you defrost tater tots?
Tater tots quickly defrost when placed in the oven to bake. In fact, most tater tots and recipes that use tater tots do not require you to defrost them at all as they bake so fast even when frozen. If you do need to defrost the tater tots for other recipes you are using, simply place them on your kitchen counter at room temperature for about an hour or microwave them for about 30 seconds to one minute.Print
One of the best, easiest breakfast options out there! You can have a hot, fresh breakfast on the table in a mater of minutes (and your kids will love it) when you use this recipe.
- 1 package of frozen tater tots or hash browns
- 1½ lbs. cooked ground sausage (turkey or beef work too!)
- 12 eggs
- ½c milk
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Spread the hash browns in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan
- Spread the cooked ground sausage on top of the hash browns
- *Add diced peppers and onions now if desired
- Fluff the eggs and milk in a blender or mixing bowl for about 30 seconds
- Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over the hash browns and meat
- Spread the shredded mozzarella evenly over the whole pan
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the top is slightly brown
Here are a few extra tips and tricks to help you make a perfect tater tot breakfast casserole.
- Spray your casserole dish or baking pan with a little pan spray or melted butter. This will help the casserole tater tot breakfast pop right out of the pan in addition to helping make clean up easier by reducing hard to remove, stuck on food.
- Make your casserole extra rich by using heavy cream instead of milk. Or, use your favorite non-dairy milk (and non dairy shredded cheese!) to help slim down this breakfast.
- Always, always make and extra dish of casserole tater tot breakfast mix, cook it and freeze it. This way, you always have a delicious and easy breakfast already made and ready to enjoy! See our tips in the FAQ section on how to freeze and defrost this tasty food.