Flavorful, rich, restaurant-worthy peanut butter French toast is something you can easily make at home using this delicious recipe. Cinnamon, peanut butter and vanilla extract are just a few of the simple ingredients that you will need to make a memorable breakfast, unlike any other you have ever had.
Restaurant Style French Toast
When you go out for breakfast, the menu is likely full of French toast options that make your mouth water- peanut butter French toast might be one of them! That is why we decided to create a recipe that is easy to make at home yet completely comparable to something you may see on a restaurant menu. Now, you don’t have to go out when you want to have a rich and creative French toast- you can just make it yourself!
Ingredients For Peanut Butter French Toast
While French toast always seems fancy, you actually do not need much to make it! In fact, our recipe is complete with only six ingredients.
- Whole grain bread
- One egg
- Vanilla extract
- Creamy peanut butter
All of these ingredients you likely have at home already. So grab a big mixing bowl, a saute pan and heat up your espresso machine (coffee and French toast make for a perfect breakfast!), and you will be enjoying this French toast in a matter of minutes.
How to Make Peanut Butter French Toast
Our recipe is actually for stuffed French toast which means the rich, creamy, peanut butter is baked inside of the bread. Peanut butter in french toast gives the recipe a warm, gooey center just like you would see served in a restaurant! Here is how to accomplish such a perfect breakfast food:
- Spread peanut butter on the bread slices and sandwich them together, enclosing the peanut butter inside the sandwiches.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk.
- Dip the peanut butter sandwiches in the egg mixture and then cook in a preheated skillet, flipping halfway through to make each side golden brown.
- Enjoy while warm!
See how simple making peanut butter toast can be! I definitely recommend serving the French toast while it is hot out of the pan to ensure that the peanut butter center is nice and melted.
Toppings for French Toast
While this recipe is perfect if you enjoy it as is, with nothing extra added, you can choose to add your favorite toppings. Here are a few options that I love and think take this breakfast treat to the next level.
- Maple syrup
- A drizzle of honey
- Chopped fresh fruit
- Whipped cream
- Crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy
You can also add some tasty additions inside of the stuffed french toast. Simply place a few berries, some chopped nuts or even chocolate chips on the bread and then close, sandwiching the filings inside.
When the stuffed French toast cooks, the filling in the toast will heat and make for a fantastic surprise when you take a bite of your breakfast.
Healthy French Toast Recipe
Did you know that this French toast recipe is actually quite healthy? In fact, it a very healthy way to start your day and it is rich, flavorful and filling. This recipe is free from added sugars unlike other recipes which may add white sugar, brown sugar or other sweeteners into the egg mixture. We also use whole grain bread for extra nutrition, adding protein, vitamins, fiber and more.
If you want a sweeter breakfast, you can add sweeteners if you’d like or substitute white bread slices but you will definitely alter the awesome nutrition this recipe has to offer. Instead, try adding these things to make our recipe even more nutritionally complete.
- Add a teaspoon of ground flaxseeds to the egg mixture for some extra fiber and protein. You can buy flax already ground or grind them yourself in a coffee grinder or food processor.
- Top the dish with chopped nuts for some healthy fats
- Cook the toast in coconut oil which adds some good cholesterol to the dish
- Spread hazelnut butter or almond butter on the bread to make a new, healthy version of our recipe (also perfect for anyone with a peanut allergy!)
- Use almond milk, coconut milk or any other one of your favorite milk alternatives
If you have any other ideas that you want to share with us, please leave them in the comments below and don’t forget to leave this recipe a good rating! We love to hear how you take our recipes and make them your own.
If you are interested in more healthy, restaurant worthy food options that you can make at home, be sure to follow us on social media to see our newest tasty recipes. You can also explore our website for inspiration and recipes at any time!Print
This French toast is healthy and very flavorful thanks to the addition of peanut butter, spices and your favorite toppings. This will likely be your new favorite French toast!
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- toppings of choice (sliced banana, berries, powder sugar, maple syrup, etc.)
- Spread peanut butter on both slices of bread to make a sandwich. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Soak the sandwich in the egg/milk mixture.
- Prepare a small skillet with non-stick spray then heat the skillet to medium-high heat. Cook prepared sandwich for a couple of minutes on each side until lightly toasted.
- Transfer sandwich to a small plate and top it off with toppings of choice. Serve immediately.
Here are a few tips that we have found help make this recipe even more perfect.
- If you decided to use additional fillings in the recipe, stuffing the French toast with fruit or nuts in addition to the peanut butter, do not overfill the sandwiches or the filling may leak out when cooking.
- Add a splash of maple syrup to the egg mix to make the recipe a little sweeter. You may not even need extra maple syrup on top!
- After cooking, you can cool the French toast and then store it in zippered bags in the freezer. Microwave the French toast for about 30 second to one minute to reheat. Make a few extra servings anytime you are making this recipe fresh then save some for another day!