We have the secret to making the perfect bacon egg and cheese sandwich and it is surprisingly easy! This recipe highlights your favorite breakfast foods and makes a sandwich that you will love to cook and eat.
Breakfast Sandwich Tradition
When you wake up in the morning, you may automatically think of making a bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. That is because this is a traditional, healthy and fairly easy meal to make! People have been enjoying these sandwiches for decades and, while there are hundreds of variations on this popular dish, the classic ingredients still prevail:
While our recipe sticks to these traditional ingredients, we have also added a few twists of our own to make for an even better sandwich. After all, isn’t upgrading a classic something everyone loves to do?! I know I definitely enjoy making a delicious meal even better.
How to Make a Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwich
The standard way to make a bacon and egg sandwich is to cook the eggs in a pan (either scrambled eggs or over easy eggs are the norm). Then you place them on a piece of bread along with the cooked bacon and cheese.
While this method is tasty and has withstood the test of time, we have changed the process up just a little bit. This is how our recipe makes the most epic breakfast sandwich:
- Cook the eggs in a pan (scrambled eggs, over easy eggs, just egg whites- you choose!)
- Cook the bacon to suit your preferences as well (I like crispy because it adds a nice crunch to the sandwich)
- Spread a bit of mayo on each half of a sliced ciabatta bread
- Add the cooked eggs, then the bacon and then the cheese on the bottom piece of bread and place the top piece of ciabatta on as well.
- Place the entire sandwich in a panini maker then close and cook until the sandwich is nicely grilled
As you can see, we have added an extra step, using a panini machine to create a grilled sandwich. This is something that is going to truly take your breakfast to the next level!
Why Use a Panini Press?
Finishing the breakfast sandwiches in a panini maker ( a grilled cheese press would also work well!) has a few benefits. First, the direct heat toasts the bread, adding flavor and also color. Pressing sandwiches will seal them well compacting all the ingredients together.
This makes it easier to eat. All the ingredients are grilled together making these sandwiches restaurant worthy! This extra step is definitely worth the additional minute of cooking time and will make your breakfast sandwiches so much better.
The Secret Ingredients
When looking over the recipe for our eggs and bacon sandwiches, you may have noticed two things that vary from the norm:
- Using ciabatta bread
- Spreading mayo on the bread
These two ingredients also help to create delicious and slightly different breakfast sandwiches. The ciabatta bread is nice and sturdy, giving the eggs and bacon a solid base to sit upon. It is also nice and skinny which makes it easy to eat.
Ciabatta bread is also a perfect texture, not too chewy like a bagel and not to soft like sliced bread. It is ideal for this recipe!
The mayonnaise helps to add flavor. It also keeps the ciabtatta moist when grilled and gives you some early morning, healthy fats. While some people like to add a little salt and pepper to this recipe, you really don’t need to when you have mayonnaise layered in there!
If you are wondering if a bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwich is healthy, the answer is yes. Egg and bacon add lots of protein and nutrients while cheese contributes some much needed dairy.
Keep in mind that eating in moderation is always recommended. Just one sandwich in the AM will do!
If you have any of your own ideas regarding this recipe or any of our amazing food, leave us your notes in the comments below! You can also sign up for email notifications to get more access to delicious recipes!
Don’t Miss our New Recipes! Follow Us on Social for the Latest Ones!
Check out more of our simple egg recipes below:
Perfect Breakfast Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 Ciabatta bread
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 eggs
- 1 slices extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayo
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat, then place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain grease.
- In the same skillet, cook eggs for about 2-3 minutes (or however you desire). While eggs are cooking, spread mayo on bread. Top with bacon, egg and cheese then toast sandwich in a Panini maker or toaster until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Here are a few extra pointers to help you make the best, most delicious egg sandwiches that you have ever had!
- When cooking the egg, try using an omelette pan which is non stick and creates a perfectly smooth, uniform egg to place on top of the ciabatta. These pans are also super easy to clean!
- If you want to prep this recipe ahead of time, cook all of the ingredients fully and assemble and grill in the panini machine to reheat everything just before you are ready to eat. This make it an easy lunch recipe or make ahead for your weekly breakfasts! Keep in mind that cooked eggs will only stay fresh for about 2-3 days in the fridge.
- If you do not have ciabatta on hand, a bagel, slices of bread or even a gluten free bread will work well. We still recommend completing the final step and cooking the food in a panini press or grilled cheese maker- this adds flavor, texture and convenience no matter what kind of bread you use!
- You can double, triple or even quadrulple this recipe, making extra food to feed your family or just to make an extra meal for you to enjoy later in the day.
- If you are not a fan of mayonnaise, simply spread softened butter across the ciabatta instead
Leave a Reply