This breakfast skillet of sausage, egg & potato is completely restaurant worthy. A few basic ingredients are combined to make a flavorful, hot and gourmet dish that we know you will love.
Sausage, Egg and Potato Skillet Breakfast
Potatoes, eggs and sausage are a classic breakfast combination which is why we created this amazing dish! These ingredients go together as perfectly as any ingredients possibly could.
They are also some of the first foods that likely pop into your head when you think about breakfast. That is why this recipe is pure perfection.
It is not complicated or overly fancy yet it is still so tasty. So try starting your morning with this hearty breakfast, a cup of kona mountain coffee and a side of fruit and you’ll be begin your day on the right foot.
The Perfect Weekend Breakfast
While this skillet recipe is not very challenging to put together, it does require a little bit of prep time, cook time and a few pans (which translates to mean dishes). That is one reason why I love to make this recipe on the weekend.
I have time to put it together and then sit and enjoy it without being rushed. In addition, potatoes and eggs with some nice breakfast sausage also just feels like the weekend!
Of course, you can really enjoy this dish any day and in any season. The ingredients are all readily available year round. If you are a planner, you surely have time in the morning to wash an extra pan and sit down for a bite to eat!
Breakfast Skillet Recipe
So what exactly does making this dish entail? Not too much! All you really need is a nice cutting board, a chopping knife, two pans and a little time. To make this breakfast, you will follow a few easy steps:
- Peeling and dicing the potatoes.
- Cooking the potatoes in olive oil.
- Cooking the sausage in a separate pan.
- Cooking the eggs in your preferred method.
- Combining all the cooked components and enjoying!
It really isn’t difficult to make this tasty recipe and anyone you cook for will be quite impressed. Your husband may wonder how you became such a gourmet chef and your kids may actually beg for a second serving!
Ingredients to Add
While this recipe requires very few ingredients to make a delicious breakfast, there are a few things you can add to take the recipe to the next level. Here are a few suggestions that I have found to taste quite good.
- Add some sliced mushrooms, bell pepper or onion with the potatoes as they cook to slip in a tasty vegetable
- Try using sweet potato instead of a white potato
- Use a hot Italian sausage instead of breakfast sausage to give the dish a nice, spicy taste
- Drizzle hot sauce over the completed dish to add more flavor
- Replace the sausage with bacon
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the bowls- the heat from the cooked food will help it melt.
If you have any great ideas or additions that you put into this recipe, let us know! We always want to hear about how you made our recipes your own so please share in the comments below or send us a quick email!
Don’t Miss our New Recipes! Follow Us on Social for the Latest Ones!
Check out more of our simple breakfast recipes below:Print
This hearty sausage, egg and potatoes skillet is the breakfast of champions!
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package sausage links, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium/high heat then add diced potatoes and salt/pepper.
- Cover and cook potatoes for about 10 minutes turning every couple minutes to avoid sticking.
- While potatoes cook, brown the sausage in a separate pan over medium heat until fully cooked.
- Divide the fully cooked potatoes and sausage into two serving bowls
- Use one of the skillets to cook eggs however you like (we love them over easy!)
- Add the cooked egg onto the sausage and potatoes and enjoy!
- Rather than peel and dice fresh potatoes, look for pre-cut potatoes in the frozen section of your local grocery store. Add the frozen potatoes to the pan and cook as directed in the recipe. This will cut down on some of your prep time. It will also ensure that your potato is nice and tender since most frozen potatoes are pre-cooked.
- If you are cooking for your whole family or making this dish to share, the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled- you will just need a bigger skillet. In addition, you may need to increase the cook time for the potatoes and sausage as increasing the quantity means it will take a little longer to be done.
- While you can make the egg part of the dish however you’d like, we strongly recommend cooking the egg to over easy or over medium. When you place and over easy egg on top of the potatoes and sausage, the yolk creates a sauce, dripping down over the rest of the bowl. It is truly delicious!
- A nice cast iron skillet is perfect for cooking the sausage, egg or potatoes.
- Make the sausage ahead of time, cooking it completely and then storing it in the fridge until you are ready to use. This will save you some time at breakfast.
- Rather than use olive oil to cook the potatoes, use some of the grease from the sausage. Cook the sausage first and then transfer it to a bowl. Add the diced potato to the pan with the sausage grease and cook as directed. This saves you from using olive oil and also adds an incredible amount of flavor to this breakfast recipe.