These raw energy balls are sweet, healthy and easy to make snacks that require no cooking at all. You will feel good about eating these every day with no regrets!
No Bake Energy Balls
After reading this article, you are going to be obsessed with eating these energy balls. And for good reason! They are such a perfect, healthy snack that’s also super simple to put together. They taste as if you are eating a candy bar.
All you need are a few ingredients like almond butter (or any nut butter), chocolate chips, almond flour and shredded coconut. You can quickly mix everything together, roll it into balls and have a ready-to-eat snack. No oven needed, no complicated cooking steps, just mix and enjoy!
Are you intrigued? Then keep reading to find out more about our energy bites.
How to Make an Energy Ball
Making energy balls really couldn’t be any easier. Essentially, all you need to do is:
- Place all of the ingredients you are using for the energy balls in a bowl
- Mix everything together using a spoon, your hands or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (if you want to speed up the mixing process!)
- Scoop the dough and roll it into balls
- Store the energy bites in airtight food containers in the fridge
That is it! We told you they were easy to make. If you are wondering how long these protein balls last, the answer is about one week when stored in the fridge.
You can choose to freeze the energy bites as well. You just take them out to thaw at room temperature anytime you are ready to eat them.
When placed in the freezer, this recipe for energy bites will last about a month. However, in our experience, this perfect snack never sticks around that long. You will love eating them so much that they will quickly disappear!
Healthy Energy Balls
One of the keys to our raw energy bite recipe is that it is healthy while still being delicious. Almond butter and almond flour are the main ingredients in the recipe.
Almonds are known to be quite a super food, providing you with lots of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. They are also rich in protein which many of us could use more of in our diet!
If you want to keep this recipe healthy but change or add a few of your favorite ingredients, you definitely can. Here are a few healthy switched or additions that you can try:
- Use a different nut butter, replacing the almond butter with equal parts peanut butter or even hazelnut butter.
- Use half the quantity of nut butter and replace the remaining 1/2 cup with pureed dates (use a food processor to puree whole dates into a thick paste). Dates add fiber, potassium and also natural sweetness.
- Replace the almond flour with your favorite protein powder to give the energy bites a health boost.
- Mix in a tablespoon of raw cacao powder to make a chocolate version. Always choose unsweetened cacao powder or cocoa powder to help keep the carb count and calories low!
- Replace the almond flour with ground rolled oats or oat flour. Puree oats in a food processor until a fine powder has formed. You can also choose to grind your own nuts to use as a “flour”. Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and even peanuts pulsed in a food processor will work great in this recipe!
- Skip the dark chocolate chips and add some raisins, chopped nuts or other dried fruits.
- Add a tablespoon or two of chia seeds or ground flaxseeds
All of these are simply suggestions that work well in this recipe and keep the energy bites healthy and nutritious. However, if you find an addition or substitution that you love, please let us know in the comments below! We love to hear about how you made our recipes your own and added new taste to food we already enjoy!
Perfect Meal Prep Option
Another reason we absolutely love raw energy bites is that they are an ideal make-ahead snack that is perfect for your weekly meal prep. If you like to get yourself ready for the week, making your food in advance, you can definitely benefit from this recipe.
Make a double or even triple batch then place some energy balls in containers to put in your adult lunch bag. You have just made a perfect, healthy and easy recipe that you can bring to work, to school or just eat at home any time of day.
As you can see, energy bites are a great breakfast recipe (two or three of these will quickly fill you up!), an ideal on-the-go snack, and even a delicious sweet dessert. So go ahead and make a few extra, bring them to a party as a new appetizer option or just whip up a batch to enjoy right away. We know you will love this recipe!Print
Almond butter, coconut and dark chocolate go perfectly together to make a snack that is irresistable (and they are good enough to be a dessert!).
- 1 cup almond butter (raw or roasted)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (¼ cup for mix – ¼ cup to roll balls into)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (or cacao chips)
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients (except ¼ cup of coconut to use for coating balls) to food processor until well combined
- Use a tablespoon to measure mixture and roll it in the palm of your hands until it becomes a circle
- Roll into coconut and set it on a plate lined with parchment paper (optional)
- Repeat step 2 until mixture is gone (should make about 12 golf ball size balls)
- Eat immediately or refrigerate for a few hours – they should last about a week in the fridge
- If you want to make a few healthy additions to our recipe, be sure to keep the basic dry to wet ingredient quantities in line. That means, if you add some rolled oats, reduce the amount of almond flour. If you put a scoop of chia seeds in the mix, cut back slightly on the shredded coconut. If you find that the batter is too wet or too dry after everything is added, you can always mix in a tablespoon or two of almond butter or coconut oil to make it wetter and some extra oats or flour to make it more dry.
- Be sure to stick to ingredients that add nutrition and health benefits. Nuts, unsweetened coconut, unsweetened cocoa powder and even dark chocolate chips are all quite healthy while still tasting amazing!
- Scoop the raw energy bites into bite sized balls so that they are easy to eat. While you can choose to make them bigger or smaller, we have found that one to two bites is perfect, giving you just enough food to satisfy any craving but not being too cumbersome to eat with just your hands.