Healthy Yogurt Parfait Recipe
If you have been searching for a perfect fruit and yogurt parfait recipe, you have found it! Fruit and yogurt parfaits have gained popularity over the years and for good reason. They are typically quite healthy and easy to put together. They give you a little crunch paired with a creamy yogurt. In addition, they just look so good! Put a fruit and yogurt parfait in a mason jar and you have a picture perfect snack.
While this recipe can act as a simple mid day snack, it is also a great breakfast, lunch or even as a dessert (especially with those chocolate chips mixed in!). No matter when you choose to eat your parfait, you can feel good about your choice as it is full of health benefits.
- Oats are rich in fiber and higher in protein than most other grains.
- Bananas have vitamin C, manganese and also lots of potassium. They are also said to give you energy.
- Berries have many nutrients and antioxidants. They are good for your skin, can help lower cholesterol levels and also protect against cancer.
- Yogurt can help promote bone health, improve your digestion, have calcium and numerous vitamins.
No Bake Granola Recipe
One of the reasons why we love this parfait recipe is the no bake granola portion. Many granola recipes require you to turn on your oven, cook your granola until crispy, wait until it cools and then enjoy it. That can take quite a while.
Our granola recipe only takes a few minutes to create. How simple is this:
- Mix the oats and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Melt the honey and peanut butter in the microwave.
- Stir the hot peanut butter mix into the oat mix and let harden. Done!
Fresh, homemade granola has never been easier and it goes wonderfully with the fruit parfait. You may want to make a little extra and keep it as an easy on-the-go snack.
How to Make a Parfait
While parfaits are popping up on menus everywhere, you may wonder what is a parfait made of? Parfaits are usually made by layering fruit, yogurt and granola. This description is nice and broad, allowing you to make your own perfect parfait while sticking to the general parfait “rules”.
To make a parfait, all you need to do is:
- Put some vanilla Greek yogurt in the bottom of a mason jar or glass with clear sides (you want to be able to see the pretty layers!)
- Add the fresh fruit on top of the vanilla yogurt
- Top with granola
If you have a bigger glass or jar, repeat the layering process to make bigger parfaits. Stick to this order as keeping the granola on top will prevent it from getting soggy under the Greek yogurt and fruit.
How Long Do Yogurt Parfaits Last?
While you may be tempted to make a bunch of yogurt parfaits, putting them in your meal prep bag and getting ahead for the week, you may want to reconsider. Yogurt parfaits are best when eaten immediately after they have been assembled. This is when the fruit is freshest and the granola is at it’s crunchiest.
You can prepare the components of the parfait ahead of time to make them faster to assemble when you are ready to eat. Make a big batch of the granola and then store it in an airtight container. When you want a fresh parfait, you will already have completed half the recipe and have the granola ready to go right on top!
Make Your Perfect Healthy Parfait Recipe
Parfaits are quite easy to customize. Here are a few ideas you can try to switch up our recipe a little and create your ideal parfait.
- Use a fruit flavored yogurt in place of vanilla yogurt
- Use a sugar free or fat free vanilla yogurt
- Use all blueberries, strawberries or raspberries rather than a mix
- Skip the berries and just use bananas
- Stir your favorite protein powder into the yogurt
- Add some maple syrup to the granola instead of honey
- Opt for Manuka Honey for extra health benefits
When you find your perfect recipes and blend of ingredients, write them down so you can make the ones you love anytime!
When to Eat a Parfait
Parfaits are one of those magic foods that are perfect for almost any meal or any time of day. While many people think of them as breakfast or a snack, you really can eat them as a healthy lunch or dessert too. The chocolate in our recipe makes it a delicious and satisfying dessert while the Greek yogurt is a traditional breakfast. Parfaits can be anything!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup organic peanut butter
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups fresh mixed organic berries
- 2 cups organic vanilla Greek yogurt
- For the granola layer: mix oats and dark chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl. Melt the honey and peanut butter in a small glass bowl for about 20 seconds in the microwave then pour over oat mixture. Mix together until combined.
- Next put ½ cup of Greek yogurt in the bottom of 4 mason jars. Add a layer of sliced bananas and berries to each jar. Top it off with ¼ of the granola mixture and enjoy or pack along for later!
- If you are using frozen berries, defrost them in the microwave or at room temperature then drain the juice . This will prevent the yogurt from becoming very liquid and runny. Save the liquid to add to smoothies.
- Greek yogurt is great for parfaits since it is nice and thick but any yogurt will do.
- Add some ground flaxseeds, chia seeds or raisins to the granola for some extra goodness
- While this recipe makes 4 serving, you can easily make 1 serving by cutting the recipe in 1/4. You can still make the entire quantity of granola and save it for the next few days of parfaits!