Orange julius is such an iconic, unique drink. You can make it quite easily in your home, especially now that you have found the perfect recipe.
There’s no need to find an orange julius stand when you have this recipe to use instead! Banana, coconut milk and honey are just a few of the ingredients that make this drink completely irresistible.
Homemade Orange Julius
The classic orange julius drink has been around for decades. It’s an iconic and classic drink that almost everyone has tried. The fact that the orange julius has stuck around so long proves how good it really is.
However, not all of us are lucky enough to live near an orange julius stand. Therefore, we need to find our own ways to make this delicious drink.
You can easily make your own orange julius with just a few simple ingredients. Not only is it easy but it also ensures that you are using wholesome, healthy ingredients.
You’ll feel good about drinking this orange juice smoothie when you make it on your own. After all, who knows what is really in those tasty orange drinks you buy at the mall… No fake sugar or additives in this smoothie!
Orange Julius Ingredients
The main ingredients in our orange julius recipe are orange juice, coconut milk, banana, vanilla and honey. Each ingredient plays an important part in the recipe and makes it taste like that classic drink you love.
- Orange juice- You can’t get that amazing orange taste without orange juice. In addition to adding loads of fresh flavor, oranges also add some amazing nutritional benefits. Oranges are full of vitamin C and have been shown to help clear skin, lower your risk of cancer, heart disease and stroke.
- Coconut milk– Full fat coconut milk is rich with flavor, natural sweetness and helps to thicken the orange julius as well.
- Banana– Full of fiber, potassium and, of course, flavor, bananas are a perfect addition to this recipe. They act as an amazing thickener as well, making your orange julius nice and naturally creamy.
- Vanilla– A little splash of vanilla goes a long way. Vanilla extract adds an incredible amount of flavor and helps bring out the rich tones in the drink. Adding vanilla has also been shown to help foods taste naturally sweeter yet it is completely sugar free.
- Honey– Rather than using white sugar, honey is a wonderful sweetener. Honey is completely natural and a little bit will make your orange julius quite sweet.
A little bit of ice added to the mix and you are ready to blend, pour and enjoy!
How to Make an Orange Julius
Making this orange julius recipe is quite simple. All you need to do is place all the ingredients into a blender and puree until it is smooth. Your prep time is just a few minutes. Look for a nice high speed blender that will crush the ice well.
Once everything is mixed, pour into two glasses and enjoy immediately! You can see why this may be a recipe that you start to make quite often. It is just so simple, refreshing and delicious.
Freezing an Orange Julius Recipe
If you want to prepare this orange julius recipe ahead of time, you definitely can do so. Make a big batch and then use one of these methods to freeze:
- Pour the blended orange julius mix into an ice cube tray and freeze. When you are ready to enjoy, place a few of the cubes into a blender and pulse until the drink is smooth again.
- Divide the orange julius between several, freezer safe glasses, cover and freeze. Move the cup to the fridge at night and you will have a nicely thawed orange smoothie for the morning.
- Pour the blended orange julius into Popsicle molds. Once frozen, enjoy the orange popsicle-what a fantastic alternative to ice cream!
Our recipe calls for one cup of orange juice but what kind you use can make a big difference. Fresh orange juice is a great option and is considered to have the most nutrients. You can get fresh, bottled, easy orange juice at the store and use this as well. Frozen orange juice concentrate will also work fine but be sure to choose a brand that has no added sugars.
It is always a good time to experiment with new ingredients and swapping out one ingredient for another. These are a few alterations I have tried that you may really love as well.
- Use regular milk rather than whole milk. One cup milk of any kind will work.
- If you do not have honey or want to make a vegan orange julius recipe, use powdered sugar, maple syrup or skip the sweetener all together.
- Freeze the banana beforehand then cut back on the ice you are adding. The frozen banana will thicken and cool the drink recipe perfectly.
- Add a cup water to the recipe to make it less thick.
- Keep blending the julius after it is already smooth. An extra minute of blending time will make it nice and frothy.
If you have any ideas of your own or make a change that you think we would love, leave a reply in the comments below. New and interesting orange julius recipes are always appreciated, so please share!
Don’t Miss our New Recipes! Follow Us on Social for the Latest Ones!
Check out more of our smoothie recipes below:
- Delicious Almond Butter & Banana Smoothie
- Great Tasting Green Smoothie
- Amazing After Work Out Smoothie
Drinking this smoothie is like having a creamsicle in a glass!
- 2 cups of ice cubes (or as needed)
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1 cup coconut milk (full-fat, canned)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place everything in a high-speed blender for about 30 seconds then serve immediately.
- If you plan on making this recipe frequently, you may want to invest in a portable ice machine. This will ensure you always have enough ice to whip up an orange julius anytime!
- While coconut milk freezes and blends up well, regular milk does not. Freezing whole milk can cause your drink to separate. If you plan to meal prep your orange julius, opt for coconut milk as the recipe calls for.
- Add a few strawberries, blueberries, pineapple or any of your other favorite fruit to the mix to give your orange julius recipes a little extra flavor.