Post workout smoothie
After your work out, you are probably tired, sore and in need of a delicious pick-me-up. Our post workout smoothie is the perfect treat that is also healthy, giving you a tasty reward for your hard work while also being nutritious.
Best Post Workout Smoothie
After an exhausting workout, you are likely hungry. After all, you just burned a bunch of calories and pushed your body to it’s limits! That also means you probably want something that is quick and easy to make too, getting you a tasty and nourishing treat in just a few minutes. Our post workout smoothie will do the trick! It is healthy, refreshing and only takes a few minutes in the blender to make. It will definitely become part of your workout routine.
How to Make a Smoothie
Making smoothies is incredibly easy. All you need is a large blender, a few healthy ingredients and you are ready to go! Here is how we make our post workout smoothie.
- Blend the kale and coconut water in the blender until smooth. Blend on high speed so that you can get the kale pieces as small as possible.
- Add the protein powder, frozen blueberries, frozen mango, frozen pineapple and chia seeds and puree until the smoothie is nice and smooth.
A large high speed blender works the best to make sure all the fruit is pureed nicely, however, you can cut the recipe in half and use a smaller single serve blender for this post workout smoothie as well.
Protein Smoothie After Workout
Giving your body some protein after a workout is a good idea for several reasons. In fact, it is strongly recommended that you consume protein after a workout and here is why:
- Eating protein after a workout can help your muscles recover and heal. When you exercise, you will strain and tear your muscles and they need protein to heal. Having protein shakes for after workout sessions is the perfect way to give your muscles the nutrients they need to heal.
- Protein workout smoothies will also help prevent you from being sore. That protein will give the muscles what they need to feel better after working out and help you feel good.
- Protein helps to strengthen the muscles as well so good post work out smoothies full of nutrients can help you get stronger!
Pairing your workout with a healthy dose of protein is a fantastic idea. Our smoothie recipe uses vanilla protein powder to give you the healthy boost that you need but you can also add some peanut butter, almond butter, almond milk or chocolate powder as ingredients in your smoothie to get some extra nutrients.
New Ingredients for Smoothie Recipes
Our post workout smoothie is perfect when you make it exactly how the recipe is written (it is soooo good!), however, you may want to switch things up a bit depending on your taste and also what ingredients you have on hand. Here are a few ideas you can try:
- Replace the coconut water with milk. Any kind of milk will work well and using milk instead of coconut water will make the smoothie nice and creamy. Just remember that milk also adds some fats and carbs so choose a milk that is within your dietary requirements.
- Frozen banana will make the smoothie even creamier and more filling. Chop up a ripe banana and keep it in the freezer. Toss the banana in the blender and puree! This is also a fantastic way to use overripe banana which are actually the most flavorful.
- Use spinach in place of kale. Spinach is a perfect ingredient that blends well, has very little taste and packs a lot of nutrients into smoothie recipes. Green leafy veggie ingredients are great in smoothies!
- Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or other nut butter for extra protein. Peanut butter will give smoothies a whole new taste, taking them from fruity and light to hearty and rich.
- Blend hemp seeds or ground flax seeds into the smoothie for extra nutrition. Both are very healthy, giving you fiber, extra protein and beneficial fats that you may want in post-workout smoothies.
As you can see, the possibilities for your post-workout smoothies are endless! You will definitely find a fruit, veggie and protein powder mix that you love but start with our recipe first and use it as a guide- it really is the perfect consistency, sweetness and taste!
Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions that we receive about our post-workout smoothie recipe. Hopefully these answers help you make the best smoothie ever.
Are smoothies good post workout?
Smoothies are absolutely great after a long exercise session. They are cool and refreshing and also you can pack them with nutrients. Fruits, protein powders and even green veggies can all be consumed in one tasty drink. A good smoothie is a wonderful way to give your body the nutrients it craves after exercise.
How long after you make a smoothie should you drink it?
Ideally, you should drink your post-workout smoothies immediately after making them while they are still cold and slushy. If you wait too long, the smoothie may begin to melt. Pop the smoothie in the freezer to keep it cold if you are not able to drink it right away.
Hopefully, you love our smoothie recipe and start to incorporate it into your exercise routine. Knowing that you will get to enjoy a delicious smoothie after you exercise is also great motivation! If you are interested in more easy recipes from us, sign up to get our emails which are packed with delicious meals and treats that we know you will enjoy. Feel free to browse our site as well- we add new recipes often so stop by our page frequently and see whats new!Print
This incredibly healthy smoothie is perfect to give you a little energy and protein after a workout. Knowing you can have this smoothie will keep you motivated as you exercise!
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 1 cup coconut water, unsweetened (or regular water)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- Blend kale and coconut water in a high speed blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a tall glass or mason jar and enjoy immediately.
- While using fresh kale or spinach as the green ingredients in your smoothie is ideal, you can also use frozen leafy green vegetables as well. They will actually help keep the smoothie nice and cold.
- Make sure to keep the fruits that you will be using in your smoothie frozen. Frozen smoothie ingredients will make the smoothie cold and icy without having to use actual ice cubes which water down the taste. Frozen banana is also a fantastic addition to make the texture of the smoothie even better (frozen bananas blend to be super creamy!)
- While our smoothies are delicious as post-workout smoothies, you can really enjoy them anytime! A nutritious smoothie will keep your body healthy while also tasting delicious!
So here you go friends! This recipe is our humble offering to the smoothie-loving world! Hope you Enjoy! =)