Baking the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies may sound like a dream but our recipe will help you make that dream come true. Our perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies are chocolatey, easy to make and completely paleo approved!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
When it comes to baking, it can be challenging to make something amazing while still adhering to Paleo guidelines. Butter, milk, refined sugar and white flour are all off-limits as they are not ingredients that would have been available to hunters and gatherers, the entire basis of the Paleo diet. However, even when following a Paleo way of eating, you likely are still craving delicious, homemade chocolate chip cookies!
Don’t worry, you are in luck! We have the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe for you! You won’t find any butter or processed ingredients in our paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe. All of our ingredients would have been found thousands of years ago which means they are totally paleo approved. Get ready to enjoy the most perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies you have ever had.
Ingredients in Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
When baking a paleo cookie recipe, you need to make sure that all of the ingredients fit into the paleo diet. This means that any processed ingredients like butter, milk or sugar are not used. Our recipe has replaced the traditional cookie ingredients with those that fit into the paleo diet and are actually much healthier for you in general. Take a look at some of the natural ingredients we use:
- Almond butter is used as the main fat in our cookie recipe, replacing the usual ingredient of butter. (Peanut butter will also work great and is great for paleo baking).
- 3/4 cup of almond flour is used in place of white, all purpose flour, giving the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies a perfect texture and taste while also adding some nutrition (Almonds are actually super healthy!). You can also use half almond flour and half coconut flour (or 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1/2 cup almond flour) which will make the cookies slightly more dense but still delicious. Bob s Red Mill makes great coconut and almond flour and the Bob s Red Mill brand can be found in many stores and online.
- Dark chocolate chips are used which have less (or no) sugar than other kinds of chocolate chips. Our recipe uses 1/2 cup of Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips which are sugar free.
- Honey is used in place of white processed sugar, adding a rich taste that you will love. (Honey is considered paleo but not vegan so keep that in mind if you are trying to make these cookies vegan. If you are looking for a vegan substitute, maple syrup will be amazing. Coconut sugar will also work as an amazing vegan alternative!)
- A splash of vanilla will give your cookie dough the taste you love in traditional chocolate chip cookies. Vanilla is considered to be a paleo ingredient when used in moderation. A small amount of vanilla extract does not have enough alcohol to make this recipe for perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies not be considered paleo. However, make sure to use real vanilla extract and not artificial vanilla as that would definitely not follow the paleo life style.
We have kept the ingredient list for our perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies super simple in order to make them fast to bake and still totally delicious. If you follow a paleo diet already, you likely have a lot of these amazing ingredients on hand already- saving you even more time! You are going to love these easy paleo cookies for sure and the recipe is so simple to make too! One bite of these cookies and you’ll be glad you chose this recipe.
How to Make Paleo Cookies
Our perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies are very easy to put together. You only need a few minutes of time to put the dough together and then you will be enjoying perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies, hot out of the oven, so soon! Take a look at how quickly this dough comes together in just a few simple steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and then prepare a baking sheet, lining it with foil, parchment paper or greasing it with butter. or coconut oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients ( the almond flour, almond butter, honey, egg, baking soda and vanilla extract), except the half cup of chocolate chips, in a large mixing bowl, stirring them completely until a smooth dough forms. It may take a few minutes to mix the dough by hand but will come together much quicker if you use a stand mixer (an appliance you will love to use!).
- Once the soft cookie dough has come together, stir in the dark chocolate chips (or whatever paleo chocolate chips you use).
- Scoop the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies dough onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes cook time for nice, soft, chewy cookies. Increase to about 12 minutes time for a more firm, less chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- Remove the chocolate chip cookies from the oven and let cool on the tray for a few minutes before enjoying.
You are going to love these perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies, especially when they are warm out of the oven. From mixing to baking, this recipe only takes a few minutes to make, giving you cookies with an amazing chewy texture that is completely delicious and fits your paleo life!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Variations
Sometimes, you may be craving paleo chocolate chip cookies but you may not have all the correct ingredients. Or maybe you are looking for a way to switch up this recipe and make it suit your personal tastes (we don’t all love the taste and texture of almond butter and almond flour!). From swapping the honey for coconut sugar or brown sugar to using coconut oil in place of nut butter, we have some great options for you that won’t take any more time to use.
While you will always need the basics like baking soda, here are a few ideas that will work well, making these chocolate chip cookies even better…although our recipe is totally perfect as is too!
- Swap 1/4 cup of almond flour for coconut flour. You can also use all coconut flour but the texture of the chocolate chip cookies will be more dense. The coconut flour will give the cookies a nice, subtle coconut taste while still being paleo. We do find that almond flour works best to keep these cookies a little more soft and tender.
- Use peanut butter in place of almond butter. You can use the same quantity of peanut butter and keep the chewy texture of the cookies. Be sure the nut butter you choose has no added sugar or salt as this can change the taste of the cookies and the added sugar will make out perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies not paleo friendly!
- Use 1/2 cup of almond butter and 1/4 cup of coconut oil. The coconut oil will give the cookies a perfect texture and utilize less of the nut butter. Coconut oil also has lots of health benefits and is considered to be a very healthy source of fats. You can also use coconut oil to grease the baking sheet for the cookies and add to the flavor of the cookies!
- Replace the honey with maple syrup. You can use the same quantity of maple syrup as honey in the recipe. Using maple syrup and replacing the egg in the recipe (see our next point regarding the egg!) will also make these cookies vegan In addition to being paleo (honey is not part of the vegan diet as it comes from bees, making it an animal product- something a vegan diet does not include!).
- Replace the egg with a flax egg to make the recipe both vegan and paleo. Mix one teaspoon of ground flaxseeds and one tablespoon of cold water to make the flax egg. Use in place of one egg in the cookie recipe. This works best when you are making a small vegan batch of cookies – more than one vegan flax egg can make the cookies bake a little funny.
- Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract to enhance the taste of the almond flour in the recipe. The cookies will have an amazing almond taste that you will love.
- Add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of the cookies. Sea salt is the best option as it is natural, paleo and vegan, however, any salt will do!
As you can see, there are many amazing ways to make perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies and all the options still give you delicious, chewy, paleo cookies you will love.
Our soft, perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies are one of our most popular cookie recipes and we know why- they are amazing! We get lots of love for this recipe and also get email with questions about how to bake them perfectly. Here are a few answers to commonly asked questions to help you bake our recipe to perfection:
Are chocolate chips Paleo?
While the paleo diet may say no to sugar, chocolate is okay! Chocolate chips are paleo when you choose the right kind of chocolate chip ingredients. You need to use a dark chocolate chip option for the cookies that has no added sugar or preservatives. Brands like Enjoy Life are perfect for using to bake these paleo cookies. If you can’t find unsweetened, preservative-free chocolate chips, chop up half a cup of dark chocolate bar into small pieces instead. Dark chocolate is definitely a healthy part of a paleo life- aren’t you glad! And the rich dark chocolate tastes perfect in these cookies and almost every paleo cookie recipe- you can’t go wrong with chocolate in cookies!
How do you store cookies after baking?
Once you have baked our amazing, perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies recipe, you want to be sure to store them in an airtight container at room temperature. The cookie will stay fresh for up to a week!
What kinds of sugar and sweetener can I use to make paleo chocolate chip cookies?
All paleo diet cookbooks and paleo recipe websites will agree that white sugar and brown sugar are off-limits. Both white and brown sugar are heavily processed and won’t work for amazing paleo cookies. However, you can use honey, maple syrup, agave, monk fruit, unprocessed coconut sugar, and yacon syrup to sweeten your cookies. Look at the sweetener label and read how much to use in place of honey if you choose to substitute the 1/4 cup of honey we use. Each may bake slightly differently or make the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies a different color but all should keep that soft chewy texture you love in these cookies.
We hope that you find these perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies as amazing as we do. They are healthy, paleo, full of chocolate flavor and can be made in just a few minutes time! Let us know how much you love the chocolate chip cookies in the comments below or send us an email to let us know any variations you may have made to the recipe- we love to hear how you make our recipes even better. We always take the time to read our recipe comments and will respond via email! We will also answer any questions you may have by email as well. We are here to help you bake the most perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies ever to fit right into your busy paleo life.
If you are interested in more amazing recipes for cookies or other time saving recipes, email us and we will email you back with easy, perfect, recipes that we know you will love! You can also email us and let us know how these cookies made your day or email us to let us know how you made this recipe even better (did you use coconut oil? Extra almond flour? coconut sugar? 1/4 cup coconut flour? We want to know!). We are always glad to hear how your recipes come out. Happy baking!Print
Sometimes you just want to make a batch of Perfect (Paleo) Chocolate Chip Cookies for no reason at all other than the fact they are healthy, simple and delicious! These are those (healthy) cookies.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350(F) degrees. Mix all of the ingredients except chocolate chips in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chocolate chips then place spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Once they are baked, these healthy chocolate chip cookies won’t stick around too long. The fact that I do consider them healthy makes them even more difficult to resist. That’s okay though! Full of nuts, honey and dark chocolate chips (did I mention that dark chocolate is full of antioxidants? So those are good for you too!), these are a definite win.
- Add some of the ingredients you love most in cookies to this recipe. Raisins, chopped nuts or extra chocolate chip add ins will all work well. Add them into the soft cookie dough when you add the chocolate chips, stirring into the dough thoroughly! Just make sure any ingredients you add stick to your Paleo diet. (Email us to tell us what delicious combinations of add ins you used! We are always glad to hear from you and how you enjoy our recipes).
- Save a few minutes of prep time in the future by freezing the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookie dough in balls. Scoop the dough onto a plate and freeze until firm. Place the frozen cookie dough balls in ziploc bags and store in the freezer. Anytime you crave perfect paleo chocolate chip cookies, preheat your oven, prepare your baking sheet and bake the frozen cookie dough. You can bake the cookies from the frozen dough, just add one or two minutes more baking time. You can also let the cookies spend a few minutes on the baking tray to thaw before placing in the oven. The cookies will still be nice and soft in the center thanks to the cold dough. This is a trick that you will love and can be done with any kind of paleo cookies- you’ll be glad you prepared in advance next time your cookie craving hits!
- Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the chocolate chip cookies onto the baking sheet. This will make the chocolate chip cookies perfectly sized, making them bake evenly and look amazing as if they were straight out of a paleo cookbook!
- Coconut flour is a great paleo ingredient however it does make cookies denser. However, this can be a good thing! Coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut sugar can all be used in this recipe to create fantastic cookies that have a subtle coconut taste. Coconut also pairs well with chocolate and your cookies will be slightly tropical while also super tasty, healthy and paleo. Bob s Red Mill makes great coconut flour that you can use in the recipe. Give 1/4 cup coconut flour, coconut oil and a cup of coconut sugar a try in your paleo cookies. You can even grease the baking sheet in coconut oil. Healthy coconut for the win!
Keywords: Cookies, chocolate chip cookies