- Quick Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Quick Chicken Fajitas Recipe
If you want chicken fajitas in a hurry, don’t order take out- just make this quick chicken fajita recipe. It will only take you a few minutes to prep, cook and start enjoying the flavorful fajitas that you crave.
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Making fajitas is actually quite simple and truly a recipe that anyone can make in just a matter of minutes. Sure, ordering take out fajitas is easy but why pay all that extra money when you can make something even better at home! This recipe is one that every fajita lover will enjoy making.
We use only the necessary ingredients that make fajitas great- no excess, unnecessary spices or veggies here! Our recipe relies on:
- Fresh chicken breasts
- Purple onion (also known as red onion)
- Bell pepper
- Fajita seasoning
If you have these main ingredients on hand, then you are ready to start cooking!
How to Make Healthy Chicken Fajitas
Taking these simple ingredients and making them into a drool-worthy dinner is super easy. Here are the basic steps you will need to follow to get your ingredients from the fridge to the table:
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan and saute until the veggies are nicely browned then remove from the pan.
- Add chicken and add the remaining ingredients to the same pan (that will keep the flavor from the vegetables in the recipe!) and saute again.
- Cook the chicken breast slices until browned (about 7 minutes of time).
- Add the cooked peppers and onions back into the skillet to heat and then serve!
You can serve the fajita mix over brown rice, in corn or flour tortillas or even over a bed of lettuce for tasty fajita salad! See how easy it is to make fajitas right at home. A few minutes of time and a few ingredients is all you really need.
Our fajita recipe is actually quite healthy for a few reasons. Take a closer look at a few of our ingredients and why they add so much to this recipe.
Coconut oil– Coconut oil will help increase the good cholesterol in your blood stream and can also help fight Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease and high blood pressure. It also has beneficial fatty acids that have been shown to have great medicinal properties.
Chicken Breast– Chicken is a lean meat which means it does not have a lot of saturated fat. It is full of protein, phosphorus, selenium, and vitamin B6 to name just a few of the nutrients it contains.
Bell Peppers – no matter what color bell peppers you choose, they are full of nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamin A, C, iron, folate and potassium.
Red Onions– Onions are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. They can help control blood sugar and also have amazing antibacterial properties.
Looks like these quick chicken fajitas are a super healthy dinner option for both you and your family. You can definitely feel good about eating these several times a week!
While many people automatically think of toppings to put on nachos, tacos and burritos, you may not think of all the great options you have when it comes to fajitas. Many of the toppings that go great on fajitas are the same as those that are good with tacos and burritos so choose your favorites that you would usually use on these dishes. Here are some suggestions:
- Sour cream
- Fresh Guacamole
- Lime Juice
- Chopped tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- Minced green onion
- Chopped cilantro
As we mentioned before, what you put under your fajita mix will also make a big difference in taste. Just switching between using rice, lettuce or tortillas will make this one recipe into a bunch of different, interesting recipes! You can even spend a little extra time and make your own tortillas using a tortilla press. This will make these fajitas extra impressive and tasty!
Here are a few fajita questions that we have received. Hopefully, the answers will help you make perfect fajitas! If you have any other questions, send us an email or leave your questions in the comments below and we will be sure to answer!
How do you cut chicken for fajitas?
Cutting the chicken is actually quite easy as long as you have a nice, sharp chef’s knife. Use the sharp knife to slice the chicken breasts into thinly sliced strips. The ideal size is 1/2 inch wide strips that are about 3-4 inches long. When the chicken is sliced to this size it will be about the same size as the veggies and cook in the time directed. Add the nicely sliced chicken right to the pan and
Can I use taco seasoning for fajitas?
Taco seasoning and fajita seasoning are a little bit different. Taco seasoning tends to have more chili powder, oregano and red pepper flakes which makes it spicier than fajita seasoning. If you like the spice that taco seasoning has, you can definitely use it in place of fajita seasoning.
How do you make fajita seasoning?
To make your own chicken fajita seasoning, combine one teaspoon ground cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika and sugar along with 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, garlic powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Once everything is mixed, use one tablespoon of the mixture to replace the fajita seasoning in the recipe and save the rest for another night or for other recipes.
Hopefully, you love these easy chicken fajitas and make it all the time. It is perfect for weeknights when you are in a rush, as a meal prep dinner or lunch or to make as a big batch when you have a party. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time to prepare a delicious dinner and this is the perfect example of all the time-saving recipes we have on our site. Take a look, search for specific recipes you want to make and try a few more of our tasty creations!Print
Make fajita night any night of the week with this easy to make recipe.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast (sliced in strips)
- 1 cup purple onion (julienned)
- 1 red or yellow pepper (julienned)
- 1 green pepper (julienned)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt + black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté peppers and onions until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining coconut oil, chicken strips, seasoning and lemon juice. Mix well and continue to cook over medium-high heat for 7-9 minutes or until cooked through.
- Return pepper mixture to skillet and let cook together for a few minutes. Remover from heat and serve over rice or with warm tortillas. =)
- If you do not have coconut oil or want to skip the subtle tropical taste that it adds to the chicken, use the same quantity of olive oil, vegetable oil or canola oil instead. Olive oil works best as a substitute if you have it on hand!
- If you want to make easy chicken fajitas even easier, check your grocery store for pre-sliced onions and bell peppers. This will save you a few minutes of prep time and help you get dinner on the table faster.
- Use sliced sirloin in the place of the chicken. Cut the sirloin into thinly sliced strips and cook for about 5-6 minutes depending on your steak preference (cook longer for more well-done steak and less time for a rarer fajita meat). Now, instead of easy chicken fajitas, you have made easy steak fajitas! Versatile recipes are the best.
- Lime juice is a fantastic substitute for lemon juice, or, you can use both for extra flavor!