You will fall in love with this gluten free banana bread recipe after just one bite! Rich, nutritious bananas are blended with avocado, oat flour and chocolate chips to make a healthy treat like you have never had before.
Making perfect gluten free banana bread can sometimes be quite a challenge. But not when you have this gluten free recipe! Not only can it be hard to make a baked good that has a nice texture but mastering the perfect flavor can take some practice.
While this gluten free banana bread did take a while to perfect, it is finally ready to share. The recipe has been tested, and changed, tried again and we have finally now made it perfect- we know you will love it.
One reason why banana bread is so fantastic is thanks to the nutritional content of the ingredients. While banana bread is fairly sweet and sometimes tastes almost dessert like, it is actually quite healthy. That is especially true for this gluten-free banana bread recipe which is loaded with even more nutrition than your typical loaf. Take a look at a few of the health benefits of this bread and you will see what I mean!
- Bananas– Bananas are full of fiber, containing 10% of your daily recommended fiber in just one banana. They are high in potassium, which helps promote heart health, and also vitamins like B6 and vitamin C.
- Oat Flour– Oat flour is made of ground oats and is far healthier than traditional white flour. Oats have been shown to help control blood sugar, help you loose weight and they are full of antioxidants. Oats also have lots of fiber and can help to lower cholesterol when added to your diet.
- Avocado– Full of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats (not saturated fat). They have prized omega-3 fatty acids and can help improve your digestion.
Other ingredients in this banana bread have just as many benefits (eggs for example, add some protein) but as you can clearly see, the bread is essentially loaded with healthy ingredients.
How to Make Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Gluten free baking does not have to be tricky or hard, especially when you have a fantastic recipe at your finger tips. In fact, this entire recipe only takes about 10 to 15 minutes and two bowls to put together. Yes, it will take a little while to bake so you will have to be patient as the oven does its thing! But your actual hands on time is very limited and you will be enjoying a tasty, gluten free bread in no time.
The dry ingredients are measured and mixed together. The oat flour, granulated sugar, teaspoon baking powder, and cinnamon all go into the bowl and are mixed.
- The remaining ingredients are blended together, mashing the bananas and avocado well. Use a high speed blender for the best results- you want the banana and avocado to be completely smooth.
- The dry ingredients and wet ingredients are mixed together, the batter is poured into the prepared loaf pan and then the bread is baked.
- Cool completely before slicing and enjoying! (All banana bread recipes and sweet bread recipes should be allowed to cool before cutting for the best bread texture)
Three simple steps and you will be enjoying a gluten-free banana bread so soon!
Why Is Gluten-Free Better?
Many people follow a gluten free diet for a variety of health reasons. Either they are allergic to gluten or have a gluten sensitivity that makes digesting gluten (commonly found in grains like flour) difficult. Other people claim that eliminating gluten from their diet helps them to feel more comfortable, experience less bloating and also can aid in weight loss.
However, even if you eat gluten in other food, this gluten-free banana bread is something that you will definitely enjoy. Not only is it more nutritious than a regular banana bread as mentioned previously, but it is also extremely flavorful. Packed with cinnamon, ripe bananas and just the right amount of chocolate chips, the bread is simply delicious. It is dense, moist and makes for a wonderful breakfast, lunch, snack or even dessert.
Best Gluten-Free Banana Bread
When baking gluten free, you may find that many of the baked goods come out dry. However, we have a secret ingredient than helps our gluten-free banana bread stay moist- avocado. Banana breads and gluten free baked goods in general tend to dry out due to the alternative flours that are used in the recipes.
Oat flour, for example, can be quite dry. Yet adding an avocado to the mix increases the fat content as well as the moisture. When the bread bakes, the moisture is retained thanks to the avocado. So, if you are looking to make a gluten free recipe more moist in the future, keep this banana bread recipe in mind and look at the fat content. An alteration or two and you will have nice, moist baked goods.
Banana Bread Recipe Variations
While this recipe is amazing as it is written, there are a few changes that I have tried that work well. If you are missing a certain ingredient in your pantry or just looking to make a few alterations, give these tips a try.
- Replace the cane sugar with equal amount of coconut sugar
- Grease the bread pan with coconut oil instead of cooking spray for extra natural flavor
- Replace half of the oat flour with finely ground almond flour
- If you do not have a ripe avocado, replace it with 1/4 cup coconut oil or 1/4 cup butter
- Add a teaspoon salt as a flavor booster
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts in place of the chocolate chips
- Make the recipe dairy-free by using almond milk instead of whole milk
If you have any fantastic ideas or switches that you make to this gluten-free banana bread, let us know! Write it in your review below, send us an email or just put your comments under this recipe. We love to hear from everyone, especially when it is about a recipe we love, like this banana bread!
Don’t Miss our New Recipes! Follow Us on Social for the Latest Ones!
Check out more of our Gluten Free recipes below:
A delicious, easy and very moist gluten free banana bread that everyone will go crazy for!
2 cups oat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 medium bananas, ripe
1/4 cup sugar
1 avocado, peeled, seed removed
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a loaf pan with baking spray. Set the pan aside.
- Measure the oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar together in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Place the bananas, avocado, almond milk and eggs in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredient mix to the blender and pulse until a smooth batter forms.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter, stirring by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges of the bread are golden brown and have begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pan and let cool before slicing.
When baking a sweet bread or any single loaf of bread, there is no need to turn on your entire oven. If you have a small, counter top convection oven, this will work just fine. Preheat the mini oven as you would your regular oven and bake as instructed!
Always test your bread before taking it out of the oven. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out cleanly and not be sticky at all. This, as well as a nicely brown, firm top indicated that the bread is baked.
A gluten free baking flour will work in place of oat flour but will not be quite as nutritious. Check the label of the gluten-free flour blend and make sure it is still nice and healthy!