Spinach Pesto Pasta is a whole lot of green but it is seriously so good! Like super yum, lick the bowl clean then ask for thirds please yum.
If you close your eyes while you eat, you will have no idea there is so many green things in your pasta. Let alone spinach and/or kale. Yes green leafy spinach and/or kale blended into pesto pasta perfection. Never in our wildest dreams had we imagined green things could taste this good.
So this whole greens + pesto thing. Yeah it is going to blow your mind. The pesto is loaded up with goodies like olive oil, basil, garlic, spinach and kale that are an explosion of flavor when added to some whole grainy pasta. Or even by the spoonful. Your choice. Top it off with roasted tomatoes from the skillet and a little bit of Parmesan cheese.
An easy meal to make that is bursting with fresh flavor and nutrients.
FOR THE PASTA:
- 1 box (16oz) gluten free rigatoni
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh kale
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice from 1 lemon
FOR SAUTEED TOMATOES:
- 1 dry pint of grape tomatoes (halved)
- sea salt + black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks, place the pesto ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
- In large skillet add olive oil, garlic powder and grape tomatoes then cook on high turning periodically to avoid burning (about 5 minutes total).
- When pasta is done and drained, return to pot. Add pesto and tomatoes then mix well. Serve immediately.
For Pesto: you may have to push down the spinach/kale periodically to get everything nice and mixed. Do in two batches if your food processor is small. You should have about 2 cups of pesto when done.