Taco Pizza recipe
We hope that when you hear “taco pizza recipe” you get just as excited about this meal as we do. It has everything that is great about tacos and pizzas combined into one, delicious, easy to make dish that is a guaranteed winner.
Homemade Taco Pizza
If you are having a hard time deciding whether you should make tacos or pizza, why not just make both?! Now, we don’t mean that you need to prepare two full meals, but rather combine them together to make a perfect pizza taco recipe that is the best of both worlds. This recipe will show you how!
Not only are you going to love this recipe thanks to the perfect fusion of two classic weeknight dinners, but you will also enjoy how simple it is to make. In just a few minutes, you will have hot taco pizza on the table, ready for everyone to enjoy. A delicious dinner does not have to take long and one dish can definitely please everyone- this taco pizza recipe really does have it all.
How to Make Taco Pizza
To make homemade taco pizza, you do not need to wait for pizza dough to rise or worry about making fresh pizza sauce. Instead, our recipe relies on delicious tortillas to act as the pizza crust. And this is just one of the ways this recipe is easier than making homemade pizza or a full-on taco bar. Take a look at the simple steps in this recipe to see just how easy it is to make this meal.:
- Preheat oven and grease an ovenproof skillet (like a large cast-iron skillet, for example).
- Place one tortilla in the skillet to be the pizza crust and bake in the oven for a few minutes to brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and spread the refried beans across the tortilla crust. The beans act as the “sauce” for the taco pizza.
- Sprinkle the cooked taco meat on top of the beans and top with shredded cheese.
- Return the taco pizza to the hot oven, keeping it in the skillet, and cook until the shredded cheese is melted and is beginning to turn golden brown (about 5 more minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the oven again and then top the pizza with the remaining ingredients (shredded lettuce, diced onion, about 1/4 cup sour cream etc) in the recipe or your choice of favorite pizza toppings.
It doesn’t seem hard at all! This is definitely a recipe that you can cook any day of the week without taking too many minutes out of your day in order to get a fresh meal on the table.
Taco Pizza Variations
Just as everyone likes different kinds of toppings on their pizza and also different fillings in their tacos, you can customize this taco pizza to suit your personal preferences as well, adding a cup extra of one thing and a little less of another. You can do this easily by just choosing various taco-esque toppings for your pizza such as:
- extra refried beans on the crust (as the “sauce”)
- shredded lettuce on the pizza after it has cooked
- a drizzle of sour cream over the pizza after it has cooked
- a cup of diced tomatoes
- diced jalapenos
- extra shredded cheese (Mexican blend cheese, mozzarella cheese or just shredded cheddar cheese)
To make your taco pizza percent, all you need to do is think of what you like with tacos, what you like with pizza and put it right on top! Grab that ceramic knife and start chopping up some great toppings!
Cooking Taco Meat
Our recipe calls for cooked taco meat to be used and this is very simple to make. You can use the ground meat of your choice- ground chicken, ground beef or ground turkey. Ground pork could even work well! Place the meat in a hot skillet and chop up as you cook to break the meat into small pieces. When the meat is almost cooked, add a packet of taco seasoning, stir into the meat and you are done!
Taco seasoning packets usually contain enough seasoning for about a pound of meat. If you cannot find taco seasoning, Fajita seasoning would work as well. You can even make your own taco seasoning with cumin, paprika, ground black pepper, oregano, salt and a little cayenne pepper if you like a little extra spice- likely ingredients you have on hand at home!
Since our taco pizza recipe is so popular we often get questions about our recipe and also about other taco pizza recipes that helped to popularize this dish. Hopefully, the answers to these FAQ’s will help you perfect your taco pizza recipes!
What is on a taco pizza from Pizza Hut?
If you are looking to make taco pizza like Pizza Hut, here is what you will need to put on top. Use a flour tortilla as the pizza crust then top with refried beans, beef seasoned with taco seasoning, pizza cheese, shredded lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, and taco chips. Then top the pizza with some taco sauce and you will have a pizza just like Pizza Hut!
What’s on Casey’s taco pizza?
Casey’s taco pizza is quite simple and you can easily use your recipe to make a pizza just like it. Refried beans and salsa are used for the pizza sauce and a large flour tortilla is used as the crust, just like in our recipe! (No need for pizza dough here!). Beef, mozzarella cheese, shredded lettuce, and crunchy tortilla chips are the final topping. Delicious and simple!
Who created the taco pizza?
Happy Joe’s, a pizza parlor in Iowa, is the first place to have made taco pizza. The creation came about in 1974 and has been loved ever since, with hundreds of recipes stemming from this original idea. The first taco pizza was made with many of the same ingredients but had a doughy crust instead of a tortilla like we use (but isn’t a tortilla crust so much easier!).
Does Papa Murphys have taco pizza?
Papa Murphys does make a taco pizza that you can bake right at home. The pizza crust is made with real pizza dough rather than a tortilla but it is still covered in delicious taco toppings. After you bake the pizza for a few minutes, top it with a cup or two of fresh shredded lettuce and a drizzle of sour cream to make it more homemade.
We hope that you loved this recipe and enjoy this taco pizza all the time. If you want more easy recipes, sign up with your email address to receive delicious recipes straight to your inbox. You can also browse recipes on our website anytime, finding new and exciting ideas for every meal!
Deep Dish Skinny Taco Pizza
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
A simple and delicious family meal in less than 30 minutes!
- 3 large flour tortillas
- ½ can (14oz) fat free refried beans
- ½ lb. ground taco meat
- 8oz shredded cheese (any kind!)
- 1 Roma tomato (diced)
- ½ purple onion (diced)
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Optional toppings: black olives, sour cream, hot sauce, peppers, etc.
- Preheat oven to 450(F) degrees and prepare a skillet with non-stick spray. Place tortillas in the skillet to form pizza crust. Spray tortillas with cooking spray and brown in oven for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove pan from oven and spread a layer of refried beans on the crust. Layer on the meat and cheese then place skillet back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully remove skillet from your oven and top with the remaining ingredients of choice. Serve immediately.
- Adding ingredients like sour cream, a cup of fresh guacamole, and diced tomatoes to your pizza after you cook it will add flavor as well as make your pizza unique. You can also opt for salsa as the sauce rather than refried beans for a whole new pizza style!
- If you have any fresh pizza dough on hand, consider using that instead of a tortilla for the crust. You can even buy pizza dough at the grocery store or at your local pizza parlor if you want it to be perfectly made for you- no recipes needed! Add the sauce and toppings to the rolled out pizza dough and cook as directed!
- If you are feeling very ambitious, you can make your own flour tortillas for the crust of the pizza. Use a tortilla press to get the dough nice and thin or keep it slightly thicker for a chewier crust.
Leave a Reply