Using Copper Cookware
While there are many types of pots and pans on the market, copper cookware is the choice of many professional chefs. Why? Because of its precise cooking and heat conductivity. Copper pots and pans have a unique ability to rapidly adjust to the temperature of your cook top. So, if you raise or lower the heat, your copper pot will change temperatures as well. Copper cookware includes heavy duty pots and pans that allow you to achieve (or at least come close to) true cooking perfection with your dishes.
Copper cookware includes heavy duty pots and pans that allow you to achieve (or at least come close to) true cooking perfection with your dishes. We reviewed the best cooper cookware options in each major product category.
Selecting and Maintaining Cooper Cookware
Fortunately, copper cookware is also available to home chefs. From high-end pieces made almost entirely out of copper to affordable copper-based alternatives, you can find copper cookware that fits your needs and budget. Just make sure that any copper cookware you choose is lined with a stainless-steel interior. This prevents your food from reacting with the copper.
When cleaning these pots and pans, true copper must be hand-washed, dried thoroughly, polished regularly, and stored in a clean, dry location. Otherwise, it can corrode or spot. Alternative forms of copper cookware can be washed in the dishwasher, but should also be dried and stored properly.
Best Copper Cookware Sets
If you are sold on copper cookware and ready to fully commit to it, then consider a complete, matching set. All-Clad’s heavy-duty seven-piece copper core set includes its top four pots, plus three matching lids. The Mauviel collection includes six pots, four lids, plus a five-ounce container of its Copperbrill cleaner to keep your cookware in tip-top shape. And the 10-piece tri-ply copper set from Calphalon includes its most popular pieces.
For a complete collection of high-end copper core cookware, the All-Clad 6000 7-piece set is all you need. It includes a 10-inch fry pan, two-quart sauce pan with lid, three quarts covered sauté pan, and covered stockpot that holds up to eight quarts. All-Clad is an American company that manufactures all its cookware in the USA. This seven-piece set’s features include:
- 5-ply construction made with aluminum, stainless steel, and a thick copper core.
- 18/10 stainless steel interior that is highly polished and stick resistant.
- Each pot and pan are safe to use on a stove top or in the oven or broiler.
- Highly responsive cooking and even heating.
This collection of pots and pans provide the conductivity and capability of professional grade cookware in household products. Each one is well-made with American-born craftsmanship.
Mauviel’s M150S 10-piece set represents a beautiful collection of the French manufacturer’s premium stainless steel-lined copper cookware. Included in the set is a 1.9 quart covered saucepan, a 3.6 quart covered saucepan, a 3.2 quart covered sauté pan, a 6.4 quart covered saucepan, 8-inch and 10.2-inch sauté pans and a five-ounce container of Mauviel’s Copperbrill cleaner. Notable features include:
- Constructed out of 90% copper with a 10% stainless steel interior.
- Unsurpassed cooking responsiveness with 1.5mm thick pans.
- Oversized handles that are permanently fastened with stainless steel rivets.
- Can be used on most stove tops as well as in the oven or broiler.
The 10-piece set copper cookware set from Mauviel is an investment, but one that will last a very long time with proper care and maintenance.
Calphalon’s Tri-Ply Copper cookware set is made to stand the test of time. Each piece is constructed out of three metals: heavy-gauge aluminum that is sandwiched between layers of stainless steel and copper. The set includes a 3-quart sauté pan with lid, 1.5-quart, 2.5-quart, and 6-quart covered saucepots, an 8-inch omelet pan, and a 10-inch omelet pan. This set’s features include:
- Precise cooking control due to its copper exterior and aluminum inner core.
- Stainless steel interiors that do not react to food.
- Spill-free pouring with durable, flared rims.
- Steel covers that fit precisely to retain food’s moisture and nutrients.
Calphalon’s Tri-Ply Copper 10-piece set is hardworking, yet beautiful. It is a complete set that can be used in both the oven or on the stove top. It is a great collection for any serious cook.
Best Copper Pots
A heavy-duty stockpot is essential in any busy mom’s kitchen. With a good stockpot, you can make large batches of food so that you can freeze some for later, or cook a big meal for a hungry crowd. Each of these stockpots can get the job done. The first two are copper-based alternatives. So, they are less expensive than the third option, and less maintenance. However, if you want the full copper cookware experience, this third stockpot may be your best bet.
The All-Clad Copper Core 8-Qt stockpot is ideal for making soups, stews, and creating different stocks. It can also be used for canning, blanching, and preparing large batches of food. Heat spreads quickly and evenly across this pot and up to its rim. This works well with recipes that need precise temperature control when cooking. This stockpot offers many great features including:
- Dishwasher safe, oven safe, and even broiler safe up to 600 degrees F.
- Strong durability with 5-ply bonded construction that includes stainless steel, aluminum, and a thick copper core.
- Stainless steel interior that is easy to clean and doesn’t react with food.
This stockpot looks beautiful and holds up well in the kitchen. It transfers easily from stove to oven and it is also easy to clean. The All-Clad stockpot in an investment that will last for many years to come. It is the ideal pot for any busy cook who desires quality and simplicity in their cookware.
The 8-Quart Copper Professional Covered Stockpot by Old Dutch International can be used as a multi-purpose pot. It works great for making large batches of soup, stew, or chili. And you can also use it for boiling pasta or blanching vegetables. This pot is not only beautiful, it is highly functional. Some of its top features include:
- Tri-ply copper material for efficient and even heating.
- A tempered glass lid that controls evaporation and allows you to see inside.
- Can use for stove top cooking and in the oven up to 500 F (minus the glass lid).
- Stainless steel base cooks well on gas, electric, and induction stove tops.
This large copper pot provides high-quality cooking at a reasonable price. It comes with a 10-year warranty and can be used for multiple purposes. It is a great addition for any cook who likes to make large batches of food without too much fuss.
Mauviel’s M’Heritage Copper 8-Quart Stockpot is made of 90% copper from France’s premier manufacturer of cookware. It is intended for household use, yet designed with Cuprinox, a professional grade of copper. It works extremely well for soups, stews, and sauces. This stockpot’s features include:
- Copper exterior that is 2.5mm thick for superior heat conductivity.
- Durable bronze side handles that have stainless rivets.
- Tight-fitting lid to seal in flavor and nutrients.
This copper pot comes with a hefty price tag compared to some of the other stockpots. However, it is the closest one to professional-grade cookware. So, for a true, professional chef experience, the Mauviel 8-quart stockpot is the way to go.
Best Cooper Frying Pans
A good frying pan is a staple in the kitchen. It is the quickest way to cook something up for a hungry family. Everything from searing meat, sautéing vegetables, or scrambling eggs takes place in a frying pan. So, having a reliable one is important. Each of these three frying pans is durable and dependable.
The Mauviel provides a true, copper cooking experience. The All-Clad features a copper core for even cooking, but is also dishwasher safe. And Copper Chef’s square frying pan features a non-stick surface that is free of harmful toxins.
The Mauviel M150S is a beautiful round frying pan. It is made of 0.15” thick copper and has a cast stainless steel handle. And because it is copper, it heats evenly and quick. This pan’s best features include:
- Ability to use on different stove tops including gas, electric, and induction.
- Its copper material provides superior cooking control over other types of frying pans.
- Highly durable copper exterior and stainless steel interior.
- Designed by the leading manufacturer of French cookware.
Not all frying pans are capable of cooking food as evenly as copper. The Mauviel M150S provides fast, superior cooking control. It is ideal for anyone who desires precise cooking capability.
Originally designed for professional chefs, the All-Clad 6112 SS 12-inch frying pan is an essential tool for anyone serious about cooking. It has a copper core and 18/10 stainless-steel interior. This frying pan is ideal for high-temperature cooking. Its top features include:
- Constructed out of stainless steel, aluminum, and copper for even, responsive heating.
- Easy to maintain and won’t react with food.
- Can use it in the oven or broiler up to 600 degrees F.
With 5-ply construction and responsive cooking, this versatile frying pan handles high heat and delicate sauces with equal precision. The All-Clad 6112 SS Copper Core is a staple for anyone who enjoys cooking.
This unique Copper Chef fry pan is a 9.5-inch square pan. It has a non-stick coating that allows you to cook without using oil or butter in the bottom of your pan. It cooks even and fast and cleanup is a breeze. Some of its best features include:
- Fast, even cooking on its stainless-steel induction plate.
- Safe for cooking in the oven or broiler up to 800 degrees F.
- Reduced amount of mess with 2 ¼ inch depth and a non-stick, Cerami-tech coating.
- Safe to use, PFOA and PTFE free.
Many non-stick pans are considered a health risk because of the chemicals in their non-stick coating, but the Copper Chef Square Fry pan is 100% safe to use. It is an excellent choice for cooking without the mess you get with other fry pans.
Saucepans are another essential tool in the kitchen. They are ideal for creating delicious sauces, cooking with liquids, or reheating soups and stews. Each of the following three sauce pans has great features that would be a welcome addition to your cookware. The Mauviel saucepan is very responsive and able to handle delicate sauces with care. The All-Clad’s heavy duty saucepan can go on the stovetop, in the oven, and in the dishwasher. And the Old Dutch makes measurement and reduction a breeze.
Mauviel’s M’Heritage Copper M150S Saucepan provides maximum cooking control. This pot is designed with 90% copper which means that it is two times more conductive than aluminum and 10 times more conductive than stainless steel. It heats up and cools down quickly. Notable features include:
- Superior cooking control with 1 ½ mm thick copper exterior.
- Ten percent stainless steel interior preserves the quality and taste of food.
- Capacity to hold 1.2 quarts of food or liquid.
- Ability to use on any type of stove or in the oven.
The All-Clad 6203 SS Copper Core Saucepan is ideal for making sauces, heating or reheating liquids, and cooking food in liquid. It is a versatile pot that was originally designed for professional use. Its copper core provides precise temperature control for cooking. Its standout features include:
- Capacity to hold up to three quarts of food or liquid.
- Constructed of a combination of stainless steel, aluminum, and a thick copper core.
- Stick resistant interior that is easy to clean and won’t react to food.
- Comfortable, stainless steel handles.
This saucepan can handle any type of stove top and can even be used in the oven. The All-Clad 6203SS Copper Core Saucepan is an excellent addition to any serious cook’s collection.
The Tri-Ply Professional Covered Saucepan by Old Dutch International is a high-performing and attractive pot to incorporate into your cooking routine. It holds up to two quarts and can be used for everything from creating sauces and side dishes to reheating leftovers. Its top features include:
- Tempered glass lid for easy monitoring of the cooking process.
- Etched measurement markings for easing monitoring of quantities and reduction.
- Energy efficient copper tri-ply material.
- Drip-free pouring with flared rim design.
This versatile saucepan is comfortable to hold and can even be used in the oven. It has an induction capable base that works well on any type of stove top and is a great piece to add to your cookware collection.
Best Copper Sauté Pans
Sauté pans are multi-functional cookware that can be used for all sorts of creative concoctions. These three copper and copper-based pans are great additions to your kitchen. The All-Clad sauté pan is extremely durable and can hold large quantities of food. The Mauviel comes with special handles that do not heat up when your food does. And the Kila Chef’s tri-ply copper base provides smooth, even cooking.
The 6405 SS Copper Core Sauté Pan by All-Clad can hold up to five quarts of food or liquid and can be used for a wide range of dishes and recipes. It is ideal for searing or browning meats. And you can even de-glaze or finish them in the same pan. Its large surface area and straight, tall sides prevent spills and splatters so it is a good choice for cooking vegetables, soups, stews, and sauces. This cookware’s top notable features are:
- Easy to clean and does not react with food.
- Large enough to hold up to five quarts.
- Can be used in the oven or on the stove top.
- Copper core construction transfers heat evenly and smoothly.
Whether you plan to cook chicken or fish, sauté vegetables, or create a delicate sauce, this pan can get the job done. It is attractive and versatile and a great addition to any kitchen.
Mauviel’s M’Heritage Copper 3 ⅕ quart sauté pan is both stunning and functional. It is designed by the leading French manufacturer of cookware and is constructed out of 90 percent copper. It has a stainless-steel interior to maintain the quality of the food. This sauté pan’s most notable features include:
- Unsurpassed ability to heat evenly and cool down quickly.
- Secure fitting lid specifically designed to trap moisture and heat and retain nutrients.
- Stainless steel riveted handles do not heat up when the pot is cooking.
- Can be used on most cook tops and in the oven.
For professional grade quality in a pot designed for household use, Mauviel’s covered sauté pan is the ideal piece to add to your collection.
The Tri-Ply Copper Bottom Sauté Pan by Kila Chef works great for browning meats, sautéing vegetables, caramelizing, or deglazing a delicious sauce. It is a very thick pan that is made of copper, aluminum, and stainless steel. Some of its best features include:
- 11-inch pan with 3-inch straight sides that prevents spills.
- Comfortable, ergonomic handle.
- Stainless steel interior that prevents food reactions and is easy to clean.
- 5mm copper exterior for quick, even cooking.
Whether you need to heat something up quickly or want to try your hand at making a gourmet meal, this 11-inch sauté pan by Kila Chef will enhance your cooking experience.
Note: Simple Green Moms is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.