This is exactly the way like to eat soup. Thick and creamy, hearty and healthy!
And most definitely overflowing with savory fall flavors. Everything about this recipe screams must make some now!
- 4 cups peeled, cubed and roasted butternut squash
- 1 medium size apple, peeled, cored and cubed (we used Granny Smith)
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk (we used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven 425 degrees
- Place peeled, cubed butternut squash on a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roast for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute apple and onion in coconut oil and a few dashes of salt for 7-10 mins or until brown and softened.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and squash to the skillet with the apple and onion and bring to a boil (or transfer to a pot to fit all).
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 mins. Stir in salt to taste. (about 1 tsp.)
- Use an immersion blender or transfer soup (carefully) to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Top with bacon and green onions.
- Enjoy with crusty bread or a grilled cheese! 🙂