- Making Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Oil
- Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- Butternut Squash Soup Requirements
- Paleo Butternut Squash Recipe Ingredients
- More Simple Soup Recipes
- Simple Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Making Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
I absolutely love the fall. There is just something about the weather getting cooler and the leaves changing color that is just so inviting and comforting. I especially adore the flavors that become available in the fall. Crunchy apples, pumpkin spice and warm soups all being to make their appearance around this time. One of my all time favorite fall recipes is this butternut squash soup which I must make at least thirty times every season- I just can’t resist it!
I like to get the ingredients for this soup from our local farmers market which readily has the ingredients available in the fall. If you are lucky enough to have one close by, I highly suggest it! This is where you will find the best butternut squash and the crispiest apples. If you are even luckier and live near an apple orchard, base your whole day around this soup and go pick some apples with your family just for this recipe (and a few to eat as well!). Enjoy being outside in the cool fall weather while you look forward to a nice warm soup.
How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
The first part of this recipe is where all of the magic begins- roasting the butternut squash. If you want your house to smell warm and inviting, all you have to do is roast the squash and the cinnamon aroma will envelope you completely (forget lighting a candle, roasting food in the oven makes a much better air freshener!). While it may take a little bit of time to roast the squash, it is definitely worth the wait. While roasting, the squash pieces will slightly caramelize making them sweeter and more flavorful- the perfect base to your delicious soup.
Adding apple to the butternut squash soup is not only another way for me to sneak in my favorite fall produce but it will give the soup another layer of sweet flavor. Make sure to get apples that are good for cooking such as Granny Smith, Honey Crisp or Jonagold as these will hold up best when you sauté them. With so many apples in season, you are sure to find some great options for this soup.
Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Oil
I chose to use coconut oil in this recipe for its added health benefits (helps increase metabolism, full of good saturated fats etc.) but also because it has a subtle tropical flavor which goes amazingly well in this soup. If you do not have coconut oil, simply use olive oil, vegetable oil or even butter. They will all work great to nicely cook your apples and onions!
Because I loves the coconut flavor so much when paired with the butternut squash, I also decided to try adding coconut milk and it was one of the best additions I have ever made to a recipe! Coconut milk within the broth compliments the butternut squash and apple flavors flawlessly and gives the soup a creamy texture without having to add heavy cream or milk. Using coconut milk also makes this recipes dairy free and perfect for anyone who may have a lactose intolerance. We don’t want to exclude anyone from enjoying this amazing fall recipe!
Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
While I use chicken broth as the primary liquid in this soup, feel free to substitute vegetable broth which would make this recipe vegetarian and vegan. I happen to like the deeper flavor that chicken broth has and as no one in my family keeps a vegan diet, I usually opt for this. Yet I have made this soup hundreds of times (it seriously is my all time favorite!) and I have used vegetable broth on many occasions and had delightful results.
After you simmer and blend your soup, it’s time for my favorite part- eating it! After roasting the squash and sautéing the apple and simmering the broth, you finally get to taste this perfect fall recipe. While I find that this soup is hearty enough on its own, it is also great paired with a grilled cheese sandwich (try dunking it in the soup!), some bacon crumbles on top or a simple piece of nice crusty bread. However you eat it, let the fall flavors fill your stomach and warm your soul! Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup Requirements
Paleo Butternut Squash Recipe Ingredients
- Roasted butternut squash, peeled and cubed.
- Apple, peeled, cored, and cubed, see our guide to apple slicers and corers.
- Yellow onion, diced.
- Coconut oil.
- Chicken broth.
- Coconut milk.
More Simple Soup Recipes
Each spoonful of this butternut squash soup is full of homemade, fall flavors that you are sure to love.
- 4 cups peeled, cubed and roasted butternut squash
- 1 medium size apple, peeled, cored and cubed (we used Granny Smith)
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth for a vegan option
- 1 can coconut milk (we used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven 425 degrees
- Place peeled, cubed butternut squash on a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roast for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute apple and onion in coconut oil and a few dashes of salt for 7-10 mins or until brown and softened.
- Add broth, coconut milk, and squash to the skillet with the apple and onion and bring to a boil (or transfer to a pot to fit all).
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 mins. Stir in salt to taste. (about 1 tsp.)
- Use an immersion blender or transfer soup (carefully) to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Top with bacon and green onions.
- Enjoy with crusty bread or a grilled cheese! ?