Keurig is the original single-serve coffee maker – founded by two former college roommates who wanted to solve the problem of stale, bitter workplace coffee. So, they created the concept of single-serving pods and a coffee machine that would brew them. The Keurig was so unique and so popular at offices that it wasn’t long before people wanted this coffee pot for their homes.
What makes the Keurig so unique? It has its own brewing system, which actually takes place it the K-cup. K-cups are the small, sealed cups with just enough coffee to brew one cup. When you are ready to brew the coffee, you simply place a K-cup in the Keurig where it’s container is punctured so that pressurized water can flow through it to produce a fresh, single cup of coffee.
The Keurig Coffee Maker includes a large capacity water reservoir so that you don’t have to measure water each time you brew a cup of coffee. It has a sleek design and multiple settings that allow you to customize your coffee experience. Since the popular Keurig burst onto the scene and into the homes of people everywhere, other brands have worked to create similar coffee machines. Today we’ll look at what makes the Keurig such a great coffee maker and how its alternatives measure up.
There are many reasons so many people love their Keurig coffee maker. It is easy to use, and it makes a great cup of coffee. Simply choose your brand and flavor of coffee, insert the pod and let it brew. No measuring, grinding or pressing. Some of the Keurig’s best features include:
- Five temperature settings so that you can control the brewing process.
- An 80 oz water reservoir that holds enough for 10 cups of coffee.
- Ability to brew different sized cups up to 12oz, or you can even brew a full carafe of coffee in your Keurig.
- Large touch screen feature makes it easy to program your Keurig with your own personal settings.
Top Alternatives to Keurig
Yes, the Keurig has many fantastic features, but it may not be for everyone. In fact, you may find that one of these great Keurig alternatives is more your style. Let’s look at some of the alternative options to the Keurig.
The Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Maker is an extremely popular choice. It offers two different ways to brew – by the cup or by the pot.
- Programmable clock and timer that allows you to set the time your coffee brews up to 24 hours in advance.
- Two-way brewer feature so you can use pre-measured soft pods, or freshly ground coffee in your coffee pot.
- Brew strength selector that lets you change the level of strength of your coffee.
Like the Keurig, Hamilton Beach coffee maker provides several options for the size and strength of your coffee. However, it looks more like a standard coffee pot and is a very affordable alternative.
The Ninja Coffee Bar Brewer has a unique look and features that allow you to make all kinds of tasty coffee treats. Whether you want to enjoy a simple cup of good black coffee, or a frothy iced, coffee-house style drink, you can make it at your Ninja Coffee Bar.
- Variety of coffee making options like classic, rich, iced brew, or a specialty drink.
- Auto-IQ One Touch Intelligence delivers the right amount of water for the size and brew that you choose.
- Patent-pending brewing technology with thermal flavor extraction delivers rich, full-flavored coffee in every cup.
Similar to the Keurig, this great coffee machine allows you to make a single cup or more of coffee without all the measuring. However, this machine is a full coffee bar with numerous styles and blends to choose from.
The Cuisinart SS-10 Premium Single-Serve Coffeemaker has a beautiful stainless steel design. It is small and compact and fits easily on your countertop. This single-serve coffeemaker includes great features such as:
- Option to choose from five different cup sizes ranging from 4 to 12 oz.
- Charcoal water filter ensures you have the best tasting cup of coffee.
- Hot water button so that you can brew tea and hot cocoa too.
This Cuisinart coffeemaker is similar to the Keurig in that it makes a good, single cup of coffee. However, that is the only thing that this coffee pot does. If simplicity is what you want, then the Cuisinart is a great option.
The Black + Decker 12-cup Thermal Coffeemaker keeps your coffee hot long after it is brewed. Plus, its no drip perfect pour spout is specially designed to prevent you from spilling hot coffee as you pour.
- Its Evenstream Showerhead which extracts the maximum coffee flavor by evenly dispensing the water over your coffee.
- Customizable brewing options that you can set to brew 1 to 4 cups of the perfect cup.
- LCD display including a timer that lets you know how much time has passed since your coffee was brewed.
What makes this Black + Decker coffee pot a great alternative to the Keurig? It’s an affordable coffeemaker that allows you to brew up to four cups of your favorite grind.
The Aicok Single Serve Coffee Maker comes with a sleek design and a large removable water tank. With many great features and an affordable price, this coffee pot makes a great option.
- Quick brew technology that allows you to make a tasty cup of coffee in a mere 30 seconds.
- Capacity to hold up to 45oz of water so that you can make multiple cups of coffee with minimal effort.
- One touch buttons for programming your coffee pot to make different sizes for different tastes.
This single serve coffee maker has many of the same features as the Keurig, plus you can even use your favorite K-cup pods in it. However, with its quick brew and one touch features, the Aicock Coffee Maker is in a class of its own.
The Black + Decker Brew n’ Go Personal Coffeemaker is ideal for making a quick cup of coffee on the go. It is small, compact, and hassle-free.
- Mesh metal filter eliminates the need for paper filters. It works great with both soft pods and coffee grounds.
- 15oz stainless steel travel mug ideal for taking your coffee on the run.
- Automatic shut-off feature after your cup is brewed so you never have to worry about turning your coffee pot off.
If you like the single serve feature of the Keurig, then the Black + Decker Brew ‘n Go is a great and inexpensive alternative.