Tex mex taco salad
If you are looking for a tex mex taco salad that has layers upon layers of flavor, this recipe is the one you need to try. With delicious marinated chicken and a homemade lime cilantro dressing, our recipe makes one of the most delicious salads you have ever tried.
Layered Taco Salad
Taco salad has become a staple within Mexican cuisine and it is clear why- it is so delicious! Our recipe is no exception, giving you layers upon layers of amazing fresh ingredients, deliciously cheese, creamy dressing and spices that mix together to create a perfect salad. While you may need to plan this salad in advance in order to let your chicken marinate, getting the most flavor possible, it is definitely worth the effort and the extra minutes in the kitchen (but don’t worry, we will give you a few short cut tricks to help cut back on prep time!).
Marinating Chicken for Salad
Marinating chicken is an important step in this recipe. This is when all the delicious taco seasoning spices have a chance to permeate into the chicken breast, giving it the amazing flavor that you will want in this tex-mex taco salad. While marinating chicken does take a little time as you really want the chicken to sit in the seasonings to develop more tastes, the process to marinate chicken is very easy.
- Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a large ziploc bag or bowl, including the cubed chicken.
- Toss everything together.
- Close the bag or place the marinating chicken in airtight containers and store in the fridge for at least two hours. If you have time to marinate the chicken overnight, definitely do so as it will grow in flavor!
- Place the coconut oil in a saute pan, heat, add the chicken and cook the marinated chicken in the coconut oil along with the marinade from the bag. The chicken cook time should be about 15 minutes or until you can cut into the chicken and see no pink.
- The chicken is now ready for the tex-mex taco salad.
Marinading chicken is such an easy way to add seasonings, spices and flavor to any recipes and it truly makes this salad exceptional. You should also consider marinating chicken for any of your salad recipes or food that requires seasoned chicken breast as it will make a huge difference.
Taco Salad Dressing Recipe
Another thing that makes our tex-mex taco salad better than any other recipes out there is the homemade cilantro lime dressing. Making your own dressing is so simple that you will be surprised how quickly you can make such a tasty salad topping. In addition, this dressing is great to use with other food as well, using it as a sauce in burritos or as a topping to a steak. To make our dressing:
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the dressing directly from the blender over the salad.
While you can store the dressing in the fridge for one or two days, it is best when made fresh. The avocado will start to turn brown and make the dressing a brownish color as well. It also may need to be whisked back together if it is let sit for a few days. Whenever possible, make the dressing right before you are ready to enjoy the salad for the best results.
Tex-Mex Taco Salad Toppings
Our tex-mex taco salad recipe relies on very few topping and salad mix-ins yet we have found that these few ingredients are all you really need. Our salad is topped with:
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced grape tomatoes
- diced red onion
- tortilla chips
While we like to stick to the basic, most flavorful toppings, there is definitely more you can add to the salad. Here are a few ideas that you may want to try:
- Add 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- Use a Mexican cheese blend
- Add a half cup of canned corn
- Toss in a sliced jalapeno
- drizzle some sour cream over the top
- Add a splash of hot sauce for a spicy kick
- Use toasted flour tortilla chips instead of corn
- Just add some extra cheese- more cheese is always better!
There are so many possibilities for this tex-mex taco salad and plenty of opportunities to make it suit your personal taste. Use this recipe as a general guide (and definitely stick to the marinated chicken and dressing portions of the recipe!) and then cook the salad toppings however you’d like!
Healthy Tex-Mex Taco Salad Recipe
There are plenty of healthy components in this delicious salad recipe. That means you have even more reason to make it frequently! Take a look at some of the most nutritious ingredients and start feeling good about enjoying this tasty food.
Lettuce- Lettuce has many antioxidants and, in addition to being high in minerals and vitamins, it has been shown to help improve sleep, relieve anxiety and lower cholesterol.
Avocado- Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K and B-6 along with being high in beneficial fats.
Chicken- Chicken is a great source of lean protein. It is low in fat and is considered to be a great part of a balanced diet.
Lime Juice– Lime juice can reduce heart disease, prevent kidney stones, help aid in iron absorption and even promote healthy skin.
Other ingredients in our recipe have beneficial aspects as well and adding other nutritious toppings, like black beans and corn, will make the salad even better!
If you have been searching for a perfect tex-mex taco salad recipe, look no further because this one has everything you could want or need! Make it today and we know it will become one of your favorite go-to foods! Also, be sure to check out some of our other recipes or sign up to have recipes sent right to your inbox form our site. We are always adding new and exciting recipes that only take a few minutes to create. Enjoy.Print
A perfect lunch or dinner that is full of vibrant flavors.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby mix greens
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- Tortilla strips (optional)
LIME CILANTRO DRESSING
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup of water (or more)
- Pinch of salt / pepper
FOR THE CHICKEN: Place all marinade ingredients (except coconut oil) and chicken into a large Ziploc bag and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Cook the chicken in a skillet with coconut oil on med-high heat for 10-15 minutes, turning to cook evenly.
FOR THE SALAD: Assemble all ingredients into 2 salad bowls, starting with mixed greens and adding the chicken last.
FOR THE DRESSING: Put all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed for consistency. Pour over salad and Enjoy!
- To make cutting raw chicken into cubes or slices easier, be sure to use a very sharp chef’s knife. Having a sharp blade will ensure that you can slice the chicken neatly and into small pieces. The smaller the slices, the more marinade will touch the surface of the chicken and add more flavor.
- Rather than using Greek yogurt in the dressing recipe, replace it with sour cream for a tangier and creamier taste.
- Replace the seasonings in the marinade with a simple taco seasoning which can be purchased in any spice section of the grocery store. This will save you a few minutes as you only need to measure one spice and, it will work fantastically as well!