Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Tacquitos have become an extremely popular dish and our baked chicken taquitos recipe is the perfect way to enjoy this trend. This recipe is quite easy to make and very easy to eat- they are the perfect finger food that is actually a full meal!
Perfect Chicken Taquitos
Chicken taquitos is a dish that you absolutely have to try. They are easy, they are full of flavor and they are the perfect easy, weeknight meal that everyone in your family will love. While you have likely seen chicken taquitos in the grocery store freezer section or on the menu at your favorite restaurant, why buy them when you can easily make them at home. We know that this recipe will make taquitos even more flavorful that you can get in any store as well.
How to Make Homemade Taquitos
Making homemade taquitos only take a few easy to follow steps. Take a look at how to make the chicken taquitos and you will see how simple the process is.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl. Use fresh spices when possible, loading things like whole peppercorns loaded into a spice grinder to get the most flavor possible.
- Rub the seasoning mix over the chicken breasts to season.
- Cook the seasoned chicken in a hot skillet or saute pan with olive oil for about 10 minutes. When you cut into the chicken, there should be no pink visible.
- Shred the cooked chicken with two forks and then mix together with the softened cream cheese.
- Scoop some of the shredded chicken mix into the center of each tortilla and roll it up, placing them on a baking sheet once they are rolled.
- Sprinkle the rolled taquitos with a cup shredded cheddar cheese and then bake in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the edges of the taquitos begin to turn golden brown.
- Enjoy while hot!
Making chicken taquitos is pretty simple and if you know how to cook chicken breast, you can make this recipe quite easily! Even if you are not a chicken cooking pro, you could definitely make these taquitos. Keep reading to find even more ways to make the recipe even easier- simple quick food is the best!
Quick Chicken Taquitos
If you want fresh, homemade taquitos but are running a little short on time, we can help! There are a few ways to make this recipe even easier and faster, helping you get dinner on the table in just a few minutes and cutting back on the prep time. Here are some short cuts you can take:
- Use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken rather than raw chicken breasts. Shred the rotisserie chicken with two forks and place the chicken in a large bowl. Grab your spice rack and add the seasonings and cream cheese to the shredded chicken in one step, stirring everything together well. Continue with the recipe as directed, scooping the chicken mixture, filling the baking sheet and baking the taquitos as normal. No chicken cooking required!
- Rather than blending your own spices as directed in this recipe, use about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning or fajita seasoning in its place. You can find packets of blended seasoning mixes in most grocery stores and they will taste great when used to make these chicken taquitos. This is also a great, money-saving option when you do not have a lot of the spices needed to make the mix (maybe you ran out of chili powder at just the wrong time!).
- Make a double batch of the shredded chicken, cream cheese mixture. Place it in an airtight container and freeze. Anytime you are ready to enjoy homemade taquitos, simply take out your premade, frozen filling and you will be ready to assemble and eat!
Making a perfect dinner that everyone will love does not have to be hard. In fact, food should be easy! Our recipe for perfect chicken taquitos is proof that you can have a delicious meal with little prep time required.
Chicken Taquitos Recipe with Cream Cheese
When you look at different recipes for chicken taquitos, you may notice that some have cream cheese, some have a cup or two of shredded cheese and others have just chicken in the filling. We loved the creamy texture that adding cream cheese gave these taquitos and felt it was necessary to include cream cheese in the mix.
In order to keep these taquitos on the healthier side while still being super creamy and rich, look for low fat cream cheese. The taste and texture will be completely the same while cutting back on some of the saturated fat that sometimes is found in cream cheese. You can also just add a little less cream cheese to the chicken mix if you want a little bit of creaminess but not too many extra calories!
There are a few ways to switch up this recipe without losing any of its great taste. Give a few of these options a try and let us know what you like! If you have any ideas of your own, leave them in the comments below- we love hearing about how you make our food into your own special creations.
- Skip the flour tortillas and use corn tortillas instead. Corn tortillas add a whole new flavor to the taquitos and it actually makes this recipe gluten-free (most corn tortillas are made using just corn and no flour at all but be sure to check the label on your specific pack of corn tortillas to be sure!).
- Get out your tortilla press and make your own tortillas for the chicken taquitos. Both homemade flour tortillas or corn tortillas will work!
- After the taquitos have come out of the oven and are fully baked, drizzle with some sour cream or toss some fresh salsa over the top.
- Skip the chili powder in the spice mix in order to make the taquitos a little milder.
- After the taquitos are rolled and ready on the baking sheet, spread about a cup of green enchilada sauce over the top. This will keep the taquitos soft as they bake and add some delicious, green tomato taste.
- Add some drained canned corn or rinsed canned black beans to the chicken mix. About a cup of either ingredient will add a great taste and also give you even more baked chicken taquitos- you will need extra corn tortillas!
See how many great ways you can use this baked chicken taquitos recipe? There is no reason for food to ever be boring when you have so many options to create your own unique dish. However, keep our baked chicken taquitos recipe exactly the same and it will be perfect every time.
Here are a few questions we are frequently asked about our baked chicken taquitos. Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have as well so you can get that oven started, your baking sheet ready and your taquitos cooking.
What do you serve with chicken taquitos?
Chicken taquitos are great on their own, straight out of the oven. They are a wonderful finger food and also make for a great appetizer. If you are serving the taquitos as an appetizer, put a cup of sour cream and a separate cup of guacamole on a tray with the taquitos. However, if you are looking for a more complete meal, try pairing these chicken taquitos with a simple salad, a bowl of nice tortilla soup or another light food- the taquitos are filling enough!
What’s the difference between flautas and taquitos?
Both flautas and taquitos are filled and rolled tortillas, baking in the oven on a baking sheet in much the same manner. However, flautas are traditionally made with flour tortillas while taquitos are made with corn tortillas. Call them what you will, both are delicious and this recipe can be used to make them interchangeably!
Can you freeze baked chicken taquitos?
You can definitely freeze baked chicken taquitos! Once you have made the chicken filling, rolled the taquitos and baked them in the oven on a baking sheet, wrap them tightly and freeze for up to three months. When you are ready to enjoy, simply take them out of the freezer, unwrap and return them to the oven to defrost and heat. In a 350 degree oven, the frozen taquitos should be ready to eat in about 30 minutes cook time. They are a perfect make-ahead food!
If you have any other questions about our delicious recipe or just want to tell us that you loved it, leave a message in the comments below! We hope you enjoyed our taquitos!
More Simple Chicken Recipes
- 21 Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Greek Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Simple Chicken Broth Bowl
- Fiesta Lime Grilled Chicken
Skinny Chicken Ranch Taquitos
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
The healthiest, most delicious taquitos you will ever try!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- toppings of your choice!
- Preheat oven to 350(F) and prepare a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic salt, chili powder, onion powder, cumin and paprika. Rub seasoning into both sides of chicken breasts.
- Spray a large pan or skillet with cooking spray and cook chicken over medium-high heat for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Shred chicken with two forks then add in cream cheese. Spread a spoonful (or two) of chicken down the middle of each tortilla. Top chicken with a handful of shredded cheese then roll each tortilla up.
- Place tortillas evenly across prepared baking sheet then spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tortilla edges begin to brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve with immediately with toppings of choice.
- If you want a spicier or milder taquito, simply adjust the amount of chili powder in the recipe, omitting it completely or doubling it up depending on your taste!
- Add some fresh salsa, guacamole or sour cream to the top of the taquitos once they have come out of the oven. This is an easy way to make the taquitos more filling and even more flavorful.
- Try using a different kind of cheese on top of the taquitos. Mexican blend, cheddar or even a cup of shredded oaxaca cheese will all taste great!
Misrii - Homemade Food says
Nice post and your skinny-chicken-ranch-taquitos pics are really amazing!
Good Bitee - Homemade Food says
Best homemade skinny-chicken-ranch-taquitos I have made! Thanks for the recipe!
You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it!