- Roasted Veggies and Sausage
- One Pan Healthy Sausage and Veggies
- How to Make Sausage and Vegetables
- Vegetable Options for Your Perfect Dinner
- Italian Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
- Perfect Dinner Additions
- Recipe FAQ’s
- Roasted Summer Veggies and Sausage
- Pro Tips:
Roasted Veggies and Sausage
Our recipe for roasted veggies and sausage is the perfect, one dish meal. Healthy veggies, savory sausage and just one pan to clean up, you are going to want to cook this dinner again and again.
One Pan Healthy Sausage and Veggies
You likely have a lot going on in your life. Whether it is work, family or a number of other things that keep you running around, dinner shouldn’t be one of them. Dinner should be easy, healthy and also taste great. We are here to help you make that dream a reality and this easy, one pan meal is the first step!
While our recipe contains a whole variety of healthy vegetables, it also has sweet Italian sausage mixed in to make it filling and complete. We are serious when we say that you can make the whole thing on one baking sheet- you really don’t need anything else. Okay, okay, you do need a cutting board, a chef’s knife and some plates and forks to eat with! Other than that, a healthy dinner is just a few steps and 30 minutes away.
How to Make Sausage and Vegetables
Anyone can make our roasted sausage and vegetable recipe. From the most novice cook to a professional chef, everyone will be sure to love this dish as well. To prepare the meal, all you need to do is:
- Chop all the veggies and the Italian sausage.
- Place the prepared veggies on a baking sheet tray or rimmed baking dish (a casserole dish will work well too)
- Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper and some Italian seasoning then toss together.
- Bake the easy dinner for about an hour in your preheated oven until the vegetables are fork tender.
When you follow our recipe exactly, the dish will take about 60 minutes cook time so be sure to get everything into the oven early. However, the time may vary if you choose to use different vegetables. That’s right, you can customize this dish to be your own!
Vegetable Options for Your Perfect Dinner
Everyone has their favorite vegetables, preferring one green veggie over the next. That is what makes us each unique and also what helps to create new and exciting meals! While we believe that our recipe is absolutely delicious, here are a few vegetable options you may want to try in place of a vegetable in the recipe or in addition to the ones we have listed.
- Add some sliced green beans
- Replace the butternut squash with sweet potatoes
- Add some bell pepper, either red, green, yellow or orange bell pepper will work wonderfully
- Halved cherry tomatoes are nice and sweet in place of large tomatoes
- Brussels sprouts roast beautifully in this dish
- Add some red pepper flakes along with the Italian seasoning for a spicier recipe
In addition to adding more or just different vegetables, you can also try a few different sausage options. The sweet Italian sausage that we use is flavorful yet mild, however, you can also try hot Italian sausage (or try using a mix of both!) which will be much spicier. Use a smoked sausage, chicken sausage or even an apple sausage to keep this recipe exciting and fresh!
Italian Sausage and Roasted Vegetables
After you have put together your perfect sausage and vegetable dinner, you want to be sure that you store it properly. That is, of course, if there are actually leftovers of this easy and delicious meal! If you do have a little extra, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
While this meal does not freeze particularly well, it does keep perfectly in the refrigerator making it an ideal meal prep option. Mix up a big batch of sausage and veggies and divide it between meal prep storage containers. Place each container in a meal prep bag and you have just set yourself up for an easy week of lunches and dinner! Just another reason to love this sheet pan dinner recipe.
Perfect Dinner Additions
While this meal is pretty much complete, already being filled with vegetables and meats, a “complete meal” typically also features a healthy carbohydrate addition. Adding a nutritious carb to this meal will help keep you fuller longer and also give you a little more energy to get you through the night.
My favorite carb to pair with this sausage and roasted vegetable recipe is brown rice. The meal already has so much flavor that you don’t need to add much to it. But brown rice adds some more fiber, some extra minerals and makes the entire meal more filling. Cook the rice according to the package instructions then toss it with some tablespoons olive oil and maybe a little salt and ground black pepper. Scoop the rice into a bowl and then top with the cooked sausage and veggies. A filling dinner is done!
How do you cook sausage in a pan?
When you think of cooking sausage, you may automatically think of sauteing it or grilling it. However, it is very easy to simply drizzle the sausage with olive oil and roast it in the oven. Sausage does take a while to cook all the way through as it is often quite thick. To ensure it is cooked thoroughly and also in order to caramelize the outside completely, flip the sausage halfway through cooking this recipe.
Can Your Roast Sausages?
Absolutely! You will be roasting sausages in this recipe all you need is some olive oil, a baking sheet and a nice, hot oven!
How do you know when the veggies are cooked?
While many of the veggies in the recipe will brown as they cook zucchini, eggplant and bell pepper will all caramelize in the high heat, the tougher, starchy veggies may be harder to assess. If you choose to use sweet potatoes or just opt for the butternut squash as written, you should stick a fork into the veggie to test for doneness. The fork should slide right in easily once the sweet potato or squash is done.
If you love this recipe, please leave a reply in the comments. We want to hear all about how our delicious one sheet pan dinner made your week easier and tastier! You can also reply your email address to get more great recipes sent straight to you. We have all kinds of easy weeknight meal options with sausage, veggies, and everything in between.Print
Roasted Summer Veggies and Sausage
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
Summer veggies pair so well with Italian sausage that you will want this dish every night!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 butternut squash
- 4–5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- olive oil
- 8 links sweet Italian Sausage
- Cut all the veggies up into similar sizes and drizzle liberally with olive oil. Toss in herbs and chopped garlic and top with sausage. I removed sausage from the casing and crumbled on top of the veggies. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about an hour, or until veggies are browned and sausage is cooked through. Serve alone, or over pasta or rice. Enjoy!
- While this recipe is extremely easy to make, taking very few minutes total time to prep, it does take a while to cook in the oven. Be sure to follow the instructions, preheat oven well in advance and get everything cooking about an hour before dinner time. However, you can also just make the entire dinner the day before or even a few days before. It heats up wonderfully.
- Some sausage can be high in saturated fat so be sure to look for an Italian sausage that has lower saturated fat listed right on the label. It will still be just as delicious without any of the harmful health side effects! (Although, eating a regular sausage every now and then is perfectly okay as well!)
- To speed up the cooking time, opt for faster cooking vegetables like bell peppers, green beans, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes (skip the squash and the sweet potatoes, if using). You can also slice the sausage links before tossing them into the veggie mix on the baking sheet tray. When you slice the sausage and opt for soft vegetables, you can make this recipe in almost half the time, 30 minutes to 45 minutes even! Such an easy way to have a delicious and healthy sausage and vegetable dinner! Enjoy!
It is!! Thank you.