If you want to try a recipe for potatoes that is so good, it is almost addictive, then these roasted ranch potatoes are the ones to make! While this recipe only has 5 ingredients, it is exploding with flavor that you are going to find hard to resist.
Oven Roasted Ranch Potatoes
Potatoes are a food that almost everyone loves however, eating the same old potatoes meal after meal can get a little boring. When you start to get tired of your basic roasted potatoes, it is time to add some intense flavor by adding ranch seasoning to the mix. You may not typically think of ranch and potatoes as being a match made in heaven, but they definitely are!
This recipe is so simple yet so incredible that you are going to be making these potatoes all the time. So stock up on that ranch seasoning and start buying potatoes by the bag full- you are going to want them!
How to Make Ranch Roasted Potatoes
Making our recipe for ranch roasted potatoes could not be any easier. There is very little prep time involved, just a few ingredients to mix and the potatoes basically cook themselves in the oven. Here is a little more detail if you are still wondering how to make something that sounds so intriguing:
- Preheat oven and prepare a baking sheet with foil or non stick spray.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and toss with all the other ingredients (add the ranch dressing mix, olive oil, salt and pepper).
- Place the potatoes on the prepared sheet tray and bake until brown and crisp.
- Enjoy while hot!
Doesn’t that sound simple? It really is one of the easiest potato recipes out there and definitely one of the most delicious.
How to Choose Potatoes
When looking at the ingredients for this recipe, you may notice that we suggest using red potatoes to roast. Red potatoes are ideal for a few reasons. First, the skin on a red potato is very thin and has no taste at all. There is no need to peel red potatoes before you roast them which will definitely save you time.
Red potatoes are also a little less starchy than other kinds of potatoes. Therefore, they can cook for a shorter amount of time and still be nice and tender in just a few minutes in the oven. Red potatoes are also just pretty and add a nice color to your plate. An all-around potato win!
When you are choosing red potatoes at the store, give them a slight squeeze. The potato should be firm and not soft. The skin should also be smooth and not wrinkled. When possible, try to choose potatoes that you can assess and grab yourself rather than a pre-packaged bag. This will ensure they are all good!
Are Potatoes Healthy?
While potato recipes tend to get lumped into the category of “white foods” that are often said to have very few nutrients, red potatoes are a little different. Since you are keeping the skin on the potato to roast it, you will be keeping the healthiest part while also cutting back on your meal prep!
Potato skins contain:
- B vitamins
So keeping that potato skin on for this recipe is very important, especially if you want to get the most nutritional value out of these ranch roasted potatoes.
Hidden Valley Ranch Potatoes Recipe
When you are relying on just one main seasoning to make a recipe fantastic, you want to be sure that you choose one that is fresh, loaded with the flavors that you want and also easy. For this recipe, we recommend using Hidden Valley Original Ranch mix. This comes in a powdered form in individual packets that you can usually find in the grocery store near the salad dressings.
Dressing mix has all the flavor of a regular, liquid dressing but it is just dry. This enables you to use the ranch seasoning as a spice rather than dressing or marinade. It really is a great flavor booster that is super simple since all the spices are conveniently mixed together for you!
Here are a few tips we have regarding using dressing mix as a seasoning for these roasted ranch potatoes:
- Sprinkle the original ranch powder over the potatoes as evenly and toss to coat them quickly before the powdered mix has time to absorb too much of the oil and get clumpy.
- Make sure the Hidden Valley original ranch seasoning packet (or whichever brand you choose) is 1 oz. That is the size that we have used in this recipe and found that it is the perfect amount of flavor. You may be able to find the mix in a larger container, but be sure to just add one ounce!
- In addition to the original ranch flavor, you may also like the buttermilk ranch or the fiesta ranch seasoning mixes as well. The buttermilk ranch will be a little creamier on your potatoes while the fiesta ranch option has a lot of extra spice. While the original ranch works perfectly to cook this dish, the other options may be great to make a whole variety of ranch roasted potatoes.
Follow these tips to make perfectly seasoned, brown and crisp ranch roasted potatoes and then give the dressing mix a try on other foods as well. Add the seasoning to some chopped asparagus, toss to coat, add some oil, place on a baking sheet and roast for a veggie side dish.
If you liked this recipe for ranch roasted potatoes, take a look for our other awesome, simple recipes that are guaranteed to be loved by everyone. You can also send us your email address and subscribe for our recipes to be sent right to your inbox. Dinner has never been easier or tastier!Print
A delicious new way to make roasted poatoes, adding more flavor to your plate.
- 2 pounds red potatoes (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 packet Hidden Valley® Ranch Mix
- sea salt + black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425(F) degrees and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl then gently toss to combine. Place potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately or reheat later.
- Rather than preheat your whole oven, you can easily make these ranch roasted potatoes in a countertop convection oven. Not only will heating the oven be faster and more energy-efficient, but the convection setting will help make the potatoes evenly brown and crisp. The potatoes will also cook faster, getting you delicious ranch roasted potatoes on the table even faster!
- You can freeze these potatoes after they have cooked by placing them in an airtight container and freeze. Re-crisp the potatoes by placing them back in the hot oven for about 5-10 minutes. This will save on meal prep and give you an easy side dish for busy weeknights!
- Make this recipe using sweet potatoes instead of red potatoes. You can still keep the skin on but be sure to wash the potatoes well before you toss them with the oil and original ranch seasoning. Sweet potatoes may take a little longer to cook but check them after 30 minutes. Once they are cooked, they should be fork tender.
- If you do not have olive oil on hand, vegetable oil or canola oil will work well in its place. Add the same amount of oil when you toss the potatoes no matter what kind you choose.