Not only is our recipe for easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies extremely delicious, but it is also healthy! These cookies are sure to become a family favorite and a recipe that you make all the time. Luckily, these cookies are easy to make so you will be enjoying warm, chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in just a few minutes.
Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
A good cookie recipe should be delicious and easy to make. The BEST cookie recipes are also healthy. This oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is very tasty, fast to put together and also contains lots of nutritious ingredients- they are definitely the best! We know that these cookies will quickly become a staple in your household. Make them just once and you will be hooked!
How to Make Homemade Oatmeal Cookies
When you first glance at this cookie recipe, you may think that there are a lot of ingredients for an “easy” oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. Don’t let that long list of ingredients fool you! There may be a lot to measure to make our cookie recipe perfect but the process is still very simple. Take a look at how easily this recipe comes together:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the one cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup coconut oil and eggs. Stir with a large spatula or use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients, mixing for just a few minutes.
- Once the all-purpose flour and oat flour are well-blended stir in the vanilla extract (be sure to use real vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla extract for the best taste in all cookie recipes), teaspoon baking soda, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Gently fold in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup almonds to the oats and flour mix, mixing for just a few minutes.
- Scoop the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls, (1/8 cup sized balls will work as well!)and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Space the cookie dough about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Use more than one baking sheet if needed!
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets.
- Move the cookies from the baking sheet to a cooling rack and then enjoy!
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to one week at room temperature.
As you can see, our oatmeal cookie recipe essentially just requires you to mix, scoop and bake in order to enjoy chewy, delicious homemade cookies. We promise that it only takes a few minutes to make this recipe!
Can Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Be Frozen?
A fresh baked cookie is one of the best desserts in the world. Luckily, you can have fresh easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies anytime you like when you freeze the dough. Here is what you need to do to freeze our easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe:
- Make the recipe completely, mixing in the chocolate chips, oats, everything!
- Scoop the oatmeal chocolate chip dough and place on baking sheet
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer and let the oatmeal chocolate chip dough freeze
- Move the cookie dough into freezer safe zippered bags or airtight container and store the recipe for up to three months
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 and place the frozen dough directly onto a baking sheet. Bake as many easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as you’d like- making just one or 12!
- Bake for the same amount of time as directed in the recipe. Since the dough is baking from frozen, the oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip loaded, will be soft and chewy oatmeal cookies!
Freezing cookie dough is one of the best ways to bake fresh cookies easily and in just a few minutes. Use our oatmeal cookie recipe, freeze the dough and you can bake chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies anytime the craving hits!
You can also choose to thaw the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies before you bake. Place the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough in the fridge the night before you would like to bake or place it on the counter at room temperature for about an hour before you bake. The thawed dough will bake in the same number of minutes as the fresh cookie dough. For chewy cookies, bake for about 8-9 minutes or for less chewy, crunchier cookies, flatten the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies gently and then bake the recipe for about 12 minutes.
Using Oat Flour in Cookies
Using oatmeal flour in cookies is a great way to make your recipe healthy and delicious. While you can buy flour made with oats in the grocery store, it is very easy to make yourself.
- Place a cup of rolled oats or a cup of quick oats in a blender or food processor or blender.
- Pulse the cup of rolled oats or quick oats until they are a fine powder (quick oats will blend faster since they are smaller pieces than rolled oats already).
- Measure the half cup needed and use the blended quick oats as directed in the recipe.
Quick oats or rolled oats will add some great fiber and antioxidants to the cookies. Oatmeal (and therefore flour made with oats) also has been shown to aid in weight loss and lower blood sugar levels. Now, we aren’t saying that eating these cookies will help you lose weight, but they are better than eating cookies made using only all-purpose flour for sure! Our recipe for chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal used as flour, are definitely a healthier cookie recipe option!
You can use flour made from oats and oatmeal in lots of cookie recipes. Replace up to one cup of flour with oatmeal flour and your cookie recipes should come out perfectly. You will not have to alter the baking powder, baking soda and salt when you make this switch. If you start to replace more that one cup regular flour with oatmeal flour, you will need to adjust the salt and leaveners so, stick to the one cup and keep your recipes simple. This is a fast way to make your recipe healthy and takes just a few minutes to do (flour made with oats is fast to make!).
Healthy Cookie Sweeteners
You may have noticed that our easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies use honey as the sweetener rather than granulated sugar, dark brown sugar or the light brown sugar that is usually found in cookie recipes. Honey is a more natural and healthy way to make delicious cookies. Honey has:
- is easier for the body to process
- can help heal the gut
- has antibacterial properties
It is a great replacement for granulated sugar or light brown sugar and still makes a perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that is sweet, soft, chewy and amazing. Honey should be in every cookie recipe if you ask us! Give our chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal cookie blended recipe a try.
As you can see, our oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a healthy and delicious cookie recipe that you should definitely try. With just some oats, chocolate chips, teaspoon baking soda and salt (and a few other choice ingredients in our recipe!) you can have perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookies so quickly! Once you try this recipe, we know you will want more recipes from us so leave a reply below telling us how much you loved this cookie recipe and then leave a reply, your email address included, and we will send you weekly recipes straight to your inbox.
We love recipes that only take a few minutes prep time, few minutes to bake, require only a few minutes cook time but still give fantastic results. We have a lot of recipes to share with you so sign up today!Print
Why choose between an oatmeal cookie and a chocolate cookie when you can have them both!
- 1 ½ cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup honey (or other sweetener)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or carob chips)
- Preheat oven to 350(F) degrees and prepare a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, honey, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon. Mix chocolate chips and almonds in and stir until evenly combined.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat, spacing cookies several inches apart until baking sheet is full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Carefully remove from oven and let the cookies cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If you like soft, chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, bake the cookies for a little less time, reducing the minutes cook time to 8 or 9 minutes only. The cookies will look barely set in the center but, once out of the oven, they will continue to bake on the hot tray and give you a soft, chewy center that many of us love in an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Soft and chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the best! (However, if you are a crunchy chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal flour kind of person, then bake the cookies for a few more minutes to get that crunch you like).
- Rather than use 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in this recipe, you can definitely replace the chocolate chips with raisins to make a chewy oatmeal raisin cookie. Our recipe works wonderfully for making chewy oatmeal raisin cookies as well. A soft and chewy oatmeal raisin cookie can be made in a healthy way when you use this recipe thanks to the oatmeal flour, honey, and coconut oil. It won’t take you any more prep time to make this easy switch!
- If you want to make our oatmeal cookie recipe but do not have coconut oil on hand, unsalted butter can work in it’s place. Soften the unsalted butter and use 1/4 cup of the butter in place of the coconut oil. The result will still be delicious, soft, chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
- Use two of these soft, chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to make an ice cream sandwich. Chocolate, vanilla and even coconut ice creams will all pair perfectly with these easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! About 1/4 cup of ice cream between two cookies will be the perfect amount.