Chicken kabobs in oven
You don’t need to light up your outdoor grill to make delicious chicken especially now that you have our recipe for chicken kabobs in oven! With just a few simple ingredients, you can make amazing kabobs right inside your own home in under 30 minutes and we will show you how.
Easy Chicken Kabob Recipe
When you think about kabobs, you may automatically think of turning on your grill. Kabobs are traditionally made on and outside grill but our recipe has changed that completely. All you need to do is preheat your oven, get a baking sheet ready and start getting excited for this delicious chicken that is going to take less than thirty minutes to come together. It really is the perfect, easy weeknight meal.
Our recipe uses only a few main ingredients which makes it super simple to put together. You also are likely to already have lots of the ingredients for the chicken kebabs on hand. The main things that you need are:
- Chicken Breasts
- Hot Sauce
- Olive oil and lime juice
- One onion
Lots of those ingredients are household staples so you can throw this recipe together anytime you are searching for a last-minute dinner idea. Be sure to keep wooden skewers, chicken and hot sauce on hand at home!
How to Make Chicken Skewers
You can see that the ingredient list is simple, but what about the prep time? Well, don’t worry, that only takes a matter of minutes as well! We kept our recipe nice and easy so anyone, even the most novice chef, will have success cooking this recipe. Take a look and you will see how little time you really need to make these delicious chicken kabobs.
- Preheat your oven to 425 and prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the chicken breasts into one inch squares.
- Cut the onion into pieces that are similarly sized as the chicken breast (large chunks!)
- Place the cut chicken breast in a large bowl and toss with the hot sauce, olive oil, lime juice and garlic. (If you don’t have fresh garlic, a teaspoon of garlic powder will work as well!)
- Start skewering the chicken onto one of the wooden skewers, alternating between a piece of the marinated chicken and a chunk of onion. Continue to thread the chicken and onion until the wooden skewer is full.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken and the rest of the wooden skewers. Place the wooden skewers with chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the chicken kabobs with salt and pepper and place in the oven to bake for about 15 minutes or until the chicken begins to turn golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the skewers or leave them on to serve!
Pretty easy, right? All you are really doing is cutting some chicken, tossing it in some sauce, threading it on kabobs and baking in the oven! Such a fantastic way to make a flavorful and delicious baked chicken.
Make-Ahead Chicken Kabobs
There are a few ways in which you can start preparing the chicken kabobs ahead of time, cutting back on your actual prep time later on. Take a look at these tricks that will save you a few minutes in the kitchen for when your weeknights get a little crazy.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and toss with the marinade. Then, place the marinating chicken in airtight containers and store in the fridge. When you are ready to make the kabobs, take the chicken out of the fridge and continue on with the recipe. The longer the chicken sits in the marinade, the more flavorful it becomes so prepping it ahead of time for the chicken kabobs recipe will actually help the meal!
- Prepare the kabobs completely, baking them fully in the oven. Store the baked chicken in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy it. Reheat the chicken in the microwave, heating it in a microwavable container with a microwave cover to prevent it from drying out. Serve as if it just came out of the hot oven!
Anytime you can save a few minutes before dinner time, you definitely should so try these tricks to prep the kabobs and make your nights a little easier.
Variations of Kabobs
While we think our recipes of chicken kebab is just perfect, there is always room for improvement! Here are a few tweaks and additions that we have found to work well with this recipe.
- Add bell peppers to the kabobs by cutting either red or green bell peppers into one inch pieces and sticking them on the skewers with the chicken. Bake in the oven exactly the same as the directions in the recipe!
- Use metal, reusable skewers rather than wooden or bamboo, If you plan to make the kebab recipe chicken dinner alot, you will want a nice reusable set that you always have on hand. They work great on the grill as well!
- Add your favorite seasonings to the olive oil marinade. Sprinkle in some garlic powder, dried basil, onion powder or even some seasoned salt. Whatever seasoning you love to use, give it a try! Add up to one teaspoon of extra powdered seasoning.
- Cut back on the hot sauce if you do not like spicy baked chicken. Reduce the hot sauce in the recipe to 1/4 cup and increase the olive oil to 6 Tbsp to make up for the loss of liquid.
If you have any great ideas on how to make these kabobs better (or how to make any of our recipes even better!), submit them to our email address or leave them in the comments below. It’s always great to have new takes on our favorite recipes!
In addition, if you would like some more great recipes from us, sign up for our emails which will send you delicious, easy recipes right to your inbox. Of course, you can always take a few minutes to browse the recipes on our site right now and you will be sure to find some great foods to try. Recipes that make mealtime delicious, easy and fun are our specialty!Print
Quick and simple family meal! The kids will love them!
- 2 lbs of chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Frank’s RedHot Original
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt / pepper to season chicken
- 1 onion cut into large chunks
- 6–8 (approx.) wood skewers (dipped in water for 1 hour)
- Preheat oven at 425
- Cut up chicken breasts into square chunks for skewers
- Cut up onion also into large chunks
- Place chicken into a large bowl and add Frank’s ReHot, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper
- Insert one piece of chicken, one piece of onion and continue until skewer is full
- Repeat until all skewers are used
- Place chicken skewers on a cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes, turning if desired, once
- Remove chicken skewers and serve with rice or your favorite side!
- While this recipe is written to make baked chicken in the oven, you can definitely make these kabobs on the grill outside as well. Grill the kabobs for about 8 minutes, flip and grill for another 5 minutes then enjoy!
- When reheating the kabobs, you can quickly microwave them or place them back in the oven to warm up. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F again and heat the chicken for 2-3 minutes.
- When purchasing the chicken for the kabobs, look for organic, non GMO chicken breasts which have been shown to be a healthier option.