Oriental chicken salad recipe
When you use this oriental chicken salad recipe, you will be giving your everyday salad a whole new life. With exciting ingredients and a delicious homemade dressing, salad will never be boring again but, instead, will be something you crave.
Easy Oriental Chicken Salad
If you have ever had an oriental salad from a restaurant, you may have been quite intrigued by all the interesting flavors that came together to make a perfect dish. The Applebee s oriental chicken salad is one that pops into mind as being delicious and memorable! Orange segments and green onions, sliced almonds and chicken, it all just works so perfectly but may be flavors you wouldn’t normally put together.
However, with our salad recipe, you will be able to mimic the tastes that you loved in that restaurant salad but make it quickly, right at home! Not only have we mastered the tastes that are in an oriental salad, but we have also made the entire process of making this dish super easy.
In fact, it only takes about 20 minutes total time to put this salad together and that includes making a homemade dressing! Easy and incredibly flavorful is what makes this recipe one of our favorites.
How to Make Oriental Chicken Salad
To make this awesome, Applebee s oriental chicken salad inspired recipe, you only need a large bowl, a small bowl, a nice chef’s knife and a few simple ingredients. Take a look:
- Start by mixing the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, combine everything by whisking together well.
- Place all the salad ingredients into the large bowl including the coleslaw mix (or some shredded red cabbage), cooked chicken breasts that have been shredded, oranges, sliced almonds, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the mix and toss everything together well.
- Divide the salad between plates or place it in an airtight container and store in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy!
As you can see, the entire recipe is pretty much just mixing the ingredients together and then eating. With a little time, 15 minutes is probably all you really need, you will be eating a flavorful dish. A tasty chicken salad couldn’t be any more simple and this one is especially impressive as well!
Oriental Salad Dressing
One of the most important parts of this recipe is the dressing that we use. Rather than reaching for premade dressing, it is so easy to make your own. It also really adds a lot of fresh flavor to the chicken salad recipe that takes it to a whole new level (way better than that Applebee s oriental chicken salad!). Here is what goes into our homemade dressing that makes it so good:
- Canola Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Orange Juice
Just five ingredients is all you need to make a dressing that stands out. While this dressing is absolutely perfect as written, you can make a few little tweaks to make it your own (or just to help if you do not have one of these ingredients on hand).
- Replace the balsamic vinegar with rice wine vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is actually a classic oriental flavor and goes wonderfully in this chicken salad recipe. Use the same quantity of rice wine vinegar as you would balsamic.
- Rather than cook chicken breasts to use in this recipe, grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use the pre cooked meat as the shredded chicken in this recipe. The chicken breasts that are on the rotisserie chicken will work perfectly!
- Replace half the canola oil with sesame oil. Sesame is often used in oriental cooking and will be delicious in this dressing recipe. However, just half of the amount of sesame oil will suffice. Sesame is a very strong taste and you do not want it to overpower the other flavors in this dish. So, opt for 1/3 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup sesame oil!
- Honey can be used in place of agave, using the same quantity of honey as asked for in the recipe.
Dressing is so simple to make that it almost always makes sense to whip up your own when you have extra prep time on your hands. Since this oriental chicken salad recipe has very little prep time and practically no minutes cook time, it is the perfect time to make your own dressing.
We have been asked these questions frequently and hope that these answers will help you make a perfect oriental chicken salad. If you have any other questions, leave a reply in the comments below and we will be sure to get back to you ASAP!
How many calories are in Applebee s oriental chicken salad?
Applebee s oriental chicken salad has 660 calories per serving. As you can see, our recipe for chicken salad only has 416 calories per servings. Skip the take out Applebee s oriental chicken salad and make our healthier version instead!
What Goes Good with Chinese Chicken Salad?
This chicken salad recipe is perfect when enjoyed on it’s own. It has protein, vegetable and fruit all mixed into one filling meal. However, you can top the dish with some crunchy chow mein noodles, have a side of wonton soup or even enjoy a few steamed pork dumplings with this salad. Anything that has that oriental flavor you love will be a perfect match for this dish.
Does Applebee’s have a salad bar?
Applebee’s does not have a salad bar but they do have a wide range of salad options on their menu. However, you do not need to order take out salads when you can make this tasty chicken salad at home in just a matter of minutes!
We hope that you love this easy-to-make chicken recipe, and we want to hear what you think! Leave a recipe rating below and feel free to email us any feedback you have. We love to hear from you and hope you use our site to find even more delicious chicken recipes! Enjoy.Print
This salad is full of tasty ingredients like chicken, oranges and almonds and then topped with a yummy homemade dressing.
- For the salad:
- 1 (16oz) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1 cup mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- sea salt + black pepper (to taste)
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup agave (or honey)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- squeeze of fresh orange juice (optional)
- Add all of the salad ingredients(except almonds) in a large bowl. Combine the vinaigrette ingredients then pour over salad ingredients. Mix everything until evenly combined.
- Top with sliced almonds and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for later.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds over the salad or mix the sesame seeds into the dish completely. This will add some extra flavor that pairs perfectly with the oriental chicken.
- Fresh clementine slices work well in place of mandarin orange slices.
- Crunchy chow mein noodles add a nice texture to the salad.