Copycat Chipotle Rice Recipe
Rice doesn’t have to be boring and with this copycat chipotle rice recipe, it will be far from basic. If you love Chipotle style rice or if you are just looking for a way to make your white rice even better, we know just how to help!
Chipotle Lime Cilantro Rice Recipe
If you have ever visited a Chipotle restaurant, you have likely had their famous cilantro lime rice. In fact, it is one of the main components in many of their burritos and burrito bowl menu options. While many Mexican inspired restaurants and dishes will simply use plain white rice or a salsa based tomato rice, Chipotle opted for a lighter and more flavorful rice recipe that almost instantly got a cult-like following. Once you give their rice a try, you will see why so many people are obsessed.
We have created a rice recipe that is a copycat of the chipotle cilantro lime rice that you can get at any Chipotle restaurant. But why go to a restaurant when you can easily make it at home? It is actually quite easy to create an identical rice right in your own home. With our recipe, you will never have to settle for plain rice again!
How to Make Chipotle Style Rice
If you know how to make any basic rice, you will be able to make chipotle cilantro lime rice. When following our recipe, you will be essentially making plain white rice and then adding the flavorings at the end. To make the rice,
- the rice is rinsed to remove excess starch and then placed in a pot to boil.
- Once the rice has come to a boil, the heat is lowered to a simmer and the rice is cooked for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed completely.
- The rice is removed from the heat and then the cilantro, lime juice and other seasonings are added.
That is all it takes to make this recipe! As you can see, there is no reason why you should stick to plain rice when you can make chipotle style rice just as easily.
While it would be fun to say that Chipotle style rice contains some secret ingredient, it is actually pretty straight forward. Fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice are the two major flavorings in the rice and are what truly makes this rice stand out. However, there is also
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- lemon juice
Each of these ingredients is necessary if you are looking for a true Chipotle copycat rice. Salt and pepper add a nice base of flavor while the olive oil helps prevent the rice from being too sticky. Lemon juice adds a citrus taste that is not quite as strong as the lime juice but gives the rice a tangy flavor boost. Use the ingredients we listed in the quantities that we have in the recipe and you will love our perfect copycat Chipotle rice!
Chipotle offers both white rice and also brown rice versions of their signature rice. You can also try different grain rice options depending on your rice preferences, what rice you have on hand or which rice happens to be on sale that week! Various rices may alter the nutritional content of the recipe and different kinds of rice may give you a different texture as an end result.
For example, if you choose to use brown rice rather than our recommended white basmati rice, you will have a more firm, chewy rice even after you have fully cooked the recipe. In addition, brown rice does have a longer cook time as it takes longer until the water is absorbed and the rice is soft due to the nature of the rice grain. However, brown rice has more fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants when compared to white rice which is definitely something to consider!
You can also try using
- Jasmine rice
- black rice
- wild rice
- boil in the bag rice
Just be sure to check the cooking time required for each different kind of rice and cook it according to the directions on the packaging. Most of the time, the rice will be cooked when the water is absorbed fully and the rice is nice and soft!
Cooking the Rice
Our recipe for copycat chipotle cilantro lime rice utilized the traditional method of making rice. The water and rice are added to a pot, boiled then covered and simmered. This method of cooking is straightforward and easy but there are other ways to cook the rice for this recipe perfectly.
- Use boil in the bag rice which can be cooked in a microwave in a matter of minutes.
- Make the rice in a rice cooker which will ensure the rice is cooked perfectly every time.
- Try making the rice in an instant pot which will reduce your cooking time dramatically
No matter how you cook your rice, be sure to add the rest of the ingredients to the rice immediately after the rice has cooked. This will help the flavors absorb and prevent the rice from getting too sticky or firm.
Uses for Chipotle Style Rice
The uses for this cilantro lime rice recipe are endless. Of course, you can use it as they do at Chipotle, putting it inside a burrito, in soft tacos, or as the base for a burrito bowl. You can also serve it as a simple side dish, pairing it with your favorite fish recipe or chicken dish. You can even make a nice big plate of rice, black beans, cheese, extra chopped cilantro, maybe even some jalapeno and scoop it all up with some tortilla chips.
No matter how you use this delicious rice recipe, we know that you are going to love it. In the amount of time it usually takes you to make regular old white rice, you can make flavor packed cilantro lime rice in the style of your favorite restaurant. So don’t wait any longer, make this delicious copycat recipe now- you will fall in love with this rice with just one bite.
More Simple Copycat Recipes
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Vegetarian + Gluten Free
Make your favorite cilantro lime rice right in your own kitchen.
- 2 ¼ cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or 2 frozen cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt + black pepper (or more)
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Rinse rice with cold water for about 30 seconds. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil then add rice and stir. Turn heat to a medium-high boil, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir rice, cover with lid then cook for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer rice into a large mixing bowl. Stir in olive oil, salt, black pepper, lime, lemon and cilantro.
- Check for taste, and add a little more lemon juice or salt/pepper if needed.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe, making enough rice for a crowd or to just last you a few days. Store the rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- When you reheat the rice, you may find it helpful to add a tablespoon or two of olive oil before reheating. This will prevent the cooked rice from getting too dry as it reheats without altering the flavor too much.
- When you cook the rice, be sure to check the cooking instructions listed on your specific package of rice. All grains of rice cook slightly differently and the recipes on the package may as for varying cups of water, for the rice to cook longer than 15 minutes or for the addition of salt to the water. Cook the rice according to the rice package and then, once the rice has cooked, return to our recipe for the seasoning portion!
Leave a Reply