No bake energy bites recipe
Everyone needs a little energy boost every now and then and our no bake energy bites recipe is the perfect way to get that pick-me-up that you may need. They are also tasty, easy to make and a very portable snack that you can bring with you anywhere!
No Bake Energy Balls
Have you ever needed an extra boost of energy in the morning? Or maybe the afternoon rolls around and you need a recipe for something to help you power through the rest of the day. Anytime you crave a tasty, energy packed snack, you should reach for one of these no bake energy balls- they are your delicious solution!
So what are energy bites?
No Bake energy balls are full of healthy, tasty ingredients that will give you a little extra energy and still be good for you. With ingredients like chocolate chips, flax seeds, almond butter and honey, you can feel good about eating this snack any time of day. The best part? They are simple to make! You can be eating an energy ball in less than 30 minutes. We know that this is a recipe you will love.
How to Make Energy Bites
Putting this recipe together is very easy. In fact, it only takes a few minutes of prep time and no baking at all. Keep that hot oven off because all you need for this recipe is a fridge- there really in no baking involved! Here is how we put together these delicious no-bake energy balls:
- Measure all the ingredients ( Rolled oats, honey, chocolate chips, nut butter, flax seeds and vanilla extract) into a large bowl and mix well. You can use a stand mixer, spatula or your hands to combine the ingredients for this recipe. Taste the mix and add a little more honey if needed. This is also the time to add coconut, raisins, or other nut butter if desired.
- Scoop the energy balls using a small ice cream scoop, tablespoon or your hands to divide the recipe into small bites.
- Use your hands to roll the balls into smooth, uniform balls and place directly into an airtight container. If the no bake energy bites are not sticking together, add a little more honey or peanut butter to the mix until the texture is just right and the balls hold together well. Add a tiny bit of honey and peanut butter at a time to make sure the bites don’t get too sticky!
- Put the energy balls in the fridge and let sit for about 30 minutes to get firm.
- Enjoy cold!
This super easy energy ball recipe couldn’t be easier to make. Anyone can make this tasty, healthy treat!
Healthy Energy Balls
Are energy bites good for you?
Not only does this recipe make an incredibly delicious treat but these energy balls are also very healthy. Each ingredient adds nutrition and makes our recipe something that you can feel good about eating (so have one or two more!).
- Flax Seeds- Flax seeds are loaded with nutrients including fiber, protein and omega-3 fatty acids. They are also one of the ingredients responsible for giving you a healthy boost of energy when you eat these balls.
- Honey- Honey is a natural sweetener and has many antioxidants and nutrients. Honey is also a better sweetener for diabetics as it is easier for the body to process.
- Dark Chocolate- Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and has shown to promote heart health too,
- Rolled Oats- Oats can improve blood sugar as well as promote heart health. They are also full of fiber and antioxidants as well.
It is amazing how delicious these no-bake energy bites are since all the ingredients are so healthy. Who knew that eating well could taste so good! We also have a few more tricks up our sleeve to make this recipe even better….
Different Energy Ball Recipe Options
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can easily add and replace ingredients to suit your taste (or to incorporate what ingredients you have on hand!). Here are a few things you should try to make these energy balls even more tasty:
- Add unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut. About a 1/2 cup of coconut flakes adds a tasty tropical taste and a natural sweetness. Coconut is also healthy, adding even more nutrients to these energy balls!
- Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to make protein balls. You don’t need a specific protein ball recipe, our recipe easily converts to be a protein balls recipe just by adding one ingredient! Protein ball recipes are a great way to give yourself an energy boost and also a quick, healthy does of energizing protein.
- Use maple syrup in place of honey. Use 1/3 cup maple syrup to keep the sweetness and also make these energy balls vegan. Maple syrup is a perfect natural sweetener and gives the energy ball recipe a great new taste (who doesn’t love maple syrup!). Maple syrup also gives this recipe a nice breakfasty taste- a few energy balls in the morning and you’ll be ready to face the day!
- Use peanut butter or almost any kind of nut butter will work so give cashew butter a try, hazelnut butter or even nut-free sun butter! You can even do a nut butter mix to make a unique flavored energy ball.
- Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract. Almond extract is great in place of vanilla extract especially when you use almond butter to increase the almond taste.
- Use 1/4 cup ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup hemp seeds to add some more natural protein to the no bake energy balls. You may need to cut back slightly on the nut butter as hemp seeds have lots of healthy oils- you do not want your energy balls to be too greasy!
- Add raisins or another dried fruit to the energy balls. About a 1/2 cup of dried fruit will work well and mix right into the recipe! You can even replace the chocolate chips with dried fruit if you prefer to have a chocolate chip free recipe.
If you come up with a great addition to this no-bake energy bites recipe, let us know! We love to hear how you recreated our recipes so use our email address and send us a message! You can also sign up with your email address to receive weekly, easy recipes sent straight to your inbox. Leave a picture in the comments below of you enjoying our energy bites- they are a tasty treat that you can make in less than 30 minutes and enjoy the rest of the week! Perfect for breakfast, a snack or anytime you need a little more energy.
A perfect breakfast, dessert or afternoon snack.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Form little balls of the mixture and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Keep them in your fridge until you are ready to eat. You can also eat them at room temperature but we like these best when cold.
- If you only have whole flax seeds, pulse them in a food processor until they are finely ground. Nutrients found in flax seeds are more easily absorbed when the flax seeds are ground. A food processor will do the trick and make these energy bites even more nutritious.
- Coconut flakes, raisins, dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and even a cup ground nuts will be great inside these no-bake energy bites. Get creative and use what you have on hand! Even a little instant espresso powder will work to give these energy bites even more power!
- If your no bake energy bites are a little crumbly and not sticking together, add 1/8 cup honey or a scoop more of the almond butter. Almond butter and a small cup honey will help the no bake energy bites stick together. On the other hand, if the no bake energy bites are too stick, add a scoop more of the ground flax seeds or some more rolled oats to help soak up some of the grease from the almond butter. When you try to alter the texture of the bites, add the “fixer” ingredients slowly so as not to change the texture too drastically.
- Mini chocolate chips work great in this recipe and blend in well to the no bake energy bites. You can also use chopped chocolate in place of chocolate chips if necessary. Dark chocolate will give you the most energy and is also the healthiest of all the chocolates, containing the least amount of sugar.