Would you ever have imagined that double chocolate cookies could be healthy? Well, when you use our delicious, simple recipe, they are! This is one cookie recipe that you are definitely going to want to try.
Extra Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Everyone loves a good chocolate cookie. What people love even more is a double chocolate cookie. Not only are our chocolate cookies full of rich chocolate taste but they are also stuffed with chocolate chips, making for a purely amazing chocolate explosion. One bite of these cookies and you will be hooked. Once you find out that they are also healthy, you will want to make this recipe even more. Toss some cookies in your meal prep bag to enjoy at work or look forward to having a cookie before bed- these double chocolate cookies are perfect for any time of day!
How to Make Double Chocolate Cookies
Making chocolate cookie recipes is usually fairly simple. However, our specific chocolate cookies recipe is even easier than most. Take a look at how quickly these cookies come together:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and then prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl except for the chocolate chips. (Almond flour, almond butter, honey, egg, cocoa powder, teaspoon baking soda, and vanilla extract). Make a smooth dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and then bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and the cookies are firm on the edges.
- Let the cookies cool slightly on the tray and then enjoy!
In less than 15 minutes, you can be eating amazing, double chocolate cookies that are healthy and tasty. Store any extra cookies in airtight containers and keep them at room temperature for up to a week. All chocolate lovers will be pleased and all health conscious, sweet seekers will rejoice! This recipe is perfect for everyone!
Healthy Chocolate Cookies
We have mentioned a few times now that our chocolate cookies are healthy. You may be wondering what makes them so much more nutritious than other cookies. Here are just a few of the reasons why our cookies are much better for you than any traditional cookie recipe:
- Our cookies contain no unsalted butter or oil. The only fat in these cookies comes from the almond butter. However, almond butter is full of healthy fats rather than unhealthy saturated fats.
- This recipe has no added salt so those who are watching their sodium intake can freely enjoy! (Add baking soda and salt at the same time if you want to boost the cookie flavor and add some salt to the recipe).
- We use unsweetened cocoa powder to give that great chocolate flavor to our cookies.
- Semisweet chocolate chips are used in the recipe as the “second” chocolate. Semisweet chips have less sugar than milk chocolate while still having a great chocolate flavor
- This recipe uses honey as a sweetener rather than white sugar. Granulated sugar has almost no health benefits while honey has antioxidants and nutrients. Honey is also naturally sweeter than granulated sugar so you can use less while still getting a deliciously sweet cookie.
- Almond flour is used rather than all-purpose flour. Almond flour is made of ground almonds and therefore contains all the nutrients and beneficial fats that almonds contain. All-purpose flour has very little in the way of nutrients so utilizing a nut flour is much better for you (and tastes better too!)
These are just a few ways that our cookies are healthier than other cookie recipes out there. Don’t worry though, they are still incredibly delicious and full of amazing chocolate taste. That double chocolate chip dough will not disappoint!
Cookie Recipe Ingredient Substitutions
Sometimes, you may want to make some cookies, chocolate recipe cookies specifically, but you don’t have all the necessary ingredients on hand to whip up a beautiful dough. Here are a few ways you can tweak our recipe in order to enjoy amazing cookies in less than 15 minutes without having to run to the grocery store:
- Use 3/4 cup peanut butter in place of the 3/4 cup almond butter in the recipe.
- Use brown sugar in place of honey (1/3 cup packed brown sugar will work in place of the honey).
- Try 1/4 cup maple syrup instead of honey
- Use 1/2 cup coconut flour in place of the 3/4 cup almond flour for the dough
- Almond extract can be substituted for vanilla extract
- Use a flax egg rather than a whole egg for the cookie recipe (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds and 3 tablespoons of water will make one flax egg).
- Add some walnuts or other chopped nuts in place of the chocolate chips, folding them into the dough last.
- If you do not have a teaspoon baking soda, use three teaspoons of baking powder in its place.
When you want a delicious cookie, you need to find ways to make the recipe work with whatever ingredients you have! A cup or this and a teaspoon of that and you will have a perfect cookie dough in no time. Our recipe is flexible, tasty and healthy too- it seriously is one of the best cookie recipes out there.
After you give these double chocolate cookies a try, we know that you will be hooked. Sign up with your email address to receive more great recipes from us sent straight to your inbox. We have tons of amazing, time saving recipes that we know you will love. From baking cookie recipes to perfect diner recipes, we have them all!Print
Calling all chocolate lovers- this is your new go-to recipe!
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2–3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350(F) degrees. Mix all of the ingredients except chocolate chips in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Stir in the chocolate chips then place spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Mix the dry ingredients together first, stirring the cocoa powder, almond flour, and baking soda together before adding the wet ingredients to form the dough. This will ensure that the leaveners and cocoa are well mixed together. If you are using 1/3 cup brown sugar in place of honey, add it with the dry ingredients too.
- Chocolate cookies can be tricky when it comes to baking time. The dark chocolate makes it hard to tell if the cookie dough is done! Check the cookies after 12 minutes, tapping the edges of the cookies gently. When the edges are firm and the center no longer looks shiny or glossy like wet dough, the cookies are done! Baking time may vary depending on your oven and also your desired cookie texture (more baking time for crunchier cookies!).
- If you want your double chocolate chip cookies to be even more chocolate packed, add up to one cup of chocolate chips. The recipe can handle about a cup of chocolate chips and still bake perfectly. You can also try using half dark chocolate chips and half white chocolate chips for a pretty and tasty double chocolate chip recipe.