This recipe only has 5 ingredients. Count them: (1) Chicken (2) Sauce (3) Cheese (4) Beans (5) Tortillas!
At first it seemed so strange that an entire meal could be made with only 5 easy ingredients. It seemed too good to be true. Like something had to be missing. But after taste testing this on several occasions we are certain that nothing is missing from this deliciousness. Plus it is super simple to make. All of the ingredients just get layered in a pan then the flavors melt together perfectly when baked.
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole has quickly become quite the family favorite in our households and we are sure it will be in yours too. Enjoy!! =)
- 1 – 1½lbs of boneless, skinless cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 2 ½ cups of enchilada sauce (your choice)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (cheddar cheese)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 can of re-fried beans
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Spread a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x9 baking pan
- Use two tortillas to cover the entire surface
- Layer the beans (about ⅓ cup) , chicken (about 1 cup), cheese (about ⅓ cup), sauce about ⅔ cup) and tortillas for a 3 total layers
- Cover with the final layer with the remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving (I know it’s hard to wait but it will make much it much less messy!)
- Serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream, green onions, jalapeños, etc.
Is this made with pre-cooked, pre-shredded chicken?
Yes pre-cooked and pre-shredded (or rotisserie chicken will work great too!)