Cheesy pizza casserole
You will never need to order a take out pizza again after trying this cheesy pizza casserole recipe. Five ingredients and 20 minutes is all you need to create a delicious, hot pizza right in your own home.
Easy Cheesy Pizza Casserole
It is not hard to pick up the phone and order a pizza to be delivered to your house. However, it can be expensive. It is not very expensive to make pizza at home but who has the time to make fresh dough, let it rise, make some sauce and then wait for the dish to bake? Either pizza option has it’s downfalls and that is why we found a way to make easy, inexpensive, delicious pizza in a new way.
Our recipe uses refrigerated biscuit dough to make a flakey crust, pre-made sauce, and some nicely shredded mozzarella cheese to create a pizza casserole. It is cheesy, it is easy and it will be just as tasty as a traditional take out pie (if not more so!). It is a recipe you absolutely must try.
How to Make Casserole Pizza
As we already mentioned, making this recipe is super simple. There is very little prep time involved and you can have dinner on the table, ready to eat in under twenty minutes. Take a look at how that amazing feat is even possible:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cut up the biscuit dough and then lay it across the bottom of the prepared casserole dish, covering the bottom completely.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough then top with the two cups shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake in the oven until the biscuits have puffed up and the cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve the casserole while hot, right inside the pan. You can also let the dish cool a few minutes, remove it from the pan then slice and serve.
Homemade pizza has never been so simple! And, it gets even better- keep reading!
Customize Your Pie
Everyone has slightly different tastes when it comes to their pizza preferences. That is why many restaurants have so many different toppings to choose from! You can customize this recipe to suit your own personal preferences, even making half of the casserole dish one kind of pizza and putting different toppings on the other half. Here are a few of our favorite toppings:
- Ground beef and extra cheese (look for lower fat ground beef to prevent too much grease on the pizza)
- Sauteed veggies like mushrooms, bell pepper, onion slices or garlic cloves
- Fresh sliced tomatoes
- Cooked Italian sausage slices
- Pineapple and cooked ham
- Switch the marinara sauce for a jar of nacho cheesy sauce and add Mexican inspired toppings like jalapenos and diced green onions.
Everyone has their own favorite topping and we want to hear what you put on your pie! Send us an email telling us about your creation. Better yet, email us a picture or put it in the comments below. Sharing great ideas is what we are all about and we always try to respond to our email asap- you will hear from us soon!
Casserole for a Crowd
This dish is perfect to serve to a larger group of people and you can easily make several cheesy pizza casserole dishes at the same time. While we recommend making this recipe and enjoying it right away, you can get the biscuit dough ready in the pan in advance and also have all the toppings chopped and ready to go.
Consider giving each of your guests at a party a smaller casserole dish with dough and letting them assemble their own pizzas, adding whatever toppings and cheese they’d like. All you will need to do is preheat the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown! This is sure to be a fun, favorite party food.
Add Some Nutrition
Many may think of pizza as a dish that is high in fat and not very healthy. However. we know a few ways to make this recipe a little healthier- give them a try!
- Look for a marinara sauce that contains less sugar or no sugar.
- Use a low fat shredded cheese to top the casserole
- Add some vegetables to the pizza
- Use a little less cheese on top of the dish
- Find recipes for fresh, whole wheat biscuit dough so you can make your own, healthier crust.
There are plenty of ways to add some beneficial nutrients to our recipe and, of course, we would love to hear what you created! Leave a reply, your email address or just a simple comment below with your healthy ideas.
Storing and Reheating
Chances are, you will not have much of this dish left as it is too good to resist gobbling down the whole tray. However, if you find yourself with leftovers. remove the pizza from the pan and wrap in foil. To reheat, place the slices back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes or place them on a plate, cover with a microwave plate cover and reheat for about 30-60 seconds. Once the cheese starts to bubble and look delicious, it is ready to enjoy!
If you love this recipe and are interested in trying more super simple, outstanding recipes from us, sign up for our email list and we will send you new recipes all the time! You can also take a few minutes to browse our site now and see what recipes look great to you. If you have any comments or suggestions about this recipe or any others, leave a reply below or email us your thoughts. We will try to email you back ASAP!Print
20 Minute Cheesy Pizza Casserole
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
The ability to make pizza in just 20 minutes makes this the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Flaky Layers refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup mini pepperoni slices
- 1 8oz. bag Sargento mozzarella/provolone shredded cheese
- 3 cups Newman’s Marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning / red pepper flakes (for seasoning)
- Heat oven at 475 degrees
- In a 9×13 glass pan, spray with spray butter
- Cut up biscuits
- then add sauce, cheese and pepperonis
- Put in oven for 12-15 minutes or until top is browned.
- You can leave it longer or less depending on how crispy you want it.
- Look for shredded mozzarella cheese that is low in saturated fat. You can find lots of cheese variations in stores now, giving you some great options without all the saturated fat (this recipe will definitely already have much lower fat than take out!).
- Use a blend of parmesan and mozzarella cheese to add some authentic Italian taste to this recipe.
- Keep all these ingredients on hand. The sauce, cheese and biscuit dough (all the main ingredients!) all last a while when refrigerated properly, enabling you to make this dish anytime you have a few minutes to spare!
Phoebe @ Feed Me Phoebe says
This is such an easy and great family recipe!
So glad you like it! =)