Ribeye steak sandwiches recipe
A ribeye steak sandwiches recipe may sound like something that is complex or for professional chefs only, however, this recipe is one that anyone can make. With a few simple steps and a special, secret sauce and you will be eating a restaurant-worthy sandwich in no time!
Best Steak Sandwiches
We have all had a really great, memorable steak sandwich at one time or another. You can probably remember exactly where and when you had that sandwich too! A truly great sandwich is something that can be hard to come by which is why a good one can really make a lasting impression. That is what inspired this recipe and set off the quest to create the perfect steak sandwich that anyone could easily make at home. The recipe is now ready to share and, hopefully, you love it as much as I do!
How To Make Steak Sandwiches
To start making a perfect steak sandwich, you must start off with a good cut of meat. Our recipe uses ribeye steaks which are tender, nicely marbled with delicious fat and are not too expensive. Ribeye is easy to grill and slices nicely to create perfect sandwich meat.
Here is a quick look at how to make this recipe come to fruition:
- Heat up your outdoor or indoor grill and grill the steak to your desired doneness (We recommend cooking the steak to medium) then let the steak sit to allow the juices to absorb into the meat.
- Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the cooked steak into thin slices
- Saute the mushrooms with the herbs and butter over medium heat and set aside.
- Make the special sauce, mixing the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Assemble the sandwiches on fresh ciabatta bread, adding the sauce, steak and mushrooms.
That doesn’t sound too hard, right?! It really does not take a long time to prepare this amazing sandwich and every time you make this recipe, it will become faster and faster as you learn how to save a few minutes in every step. Soon you will be making steak sandwiches as quickly as your favorite deli!
The Special Sauce
You may be intrigued by what goes into our special steak sandwich sauce. This is the part of the recipe that I find to be most impressive and what really takes this sandwich to a whole new culinary level. Anyone can cook some meat and put it on some bread, but the combination of the sauteed mushrooms and our sauce recipe is what makes this sandwich an unforgettable one.
Our special “secret” spread is actually made using:
- cream cheese
Everything is blended together in just a few minutes to make a tasty, tangy topping that pairs perfectly with the steak and mushrooms. You can definitely double or triple this part of the recipe, especially if you plan on having this meal often. The seasoned cream cheese will keep in the fridge for almost one month when wrapped tightly. This way, anytime you are ready to assemble your sandwich, your cream cheese spread will be ready to go, reducing your prep time significantly.
While this sandwich has already been perfectly crafted to have a beautiful blend of flavors, there are a few things you may want to add or change to suit your personal preferences. Here are a few options that we have tried in the past that worked well:
- Saute the mushrooms in olive oil rather than butter for a slightly healthier and less rich option. Add a little salt and pepper to the pan as well while the mushrooms cook.
- Place a piece of swiss cheese or sliced provolone cheese over the top of the mushrooms after they are on the sandwich. Place the open-faced sandwich under a broiler to heat and melt the cheese then add the top piece of bread. Melted cheese is a wonderful and classic addition!
- Try different kinds of bread rather than ciabatta. Regular sliced whole wheat bread, a french baguette or a sliced sesame Italian bread all work well. Toasted bread will especially be good with this tender sandwich
- Try using all different kinds of sliced mushrooms. Baby portobellos, button mushrooms and even sliced shitake mushrooms will all add their own unique level of umami flavor.
- Add sauteed onions to the top of the dish. You can even cook the onions in the same pan that you used to cook the mushrooms, or, simply cook them together, adding the onion slices to the pan about a minute before you add the mushrooms.
Here are a few questions we have been asked often about how to cook our perfect sandwich recipe. Hopefully, these answers will help you as well!
What is the best cut of beef for steak sandwiches?
So exactly what is sandwich steak cut? Ideally, you want a steak that is tender and juicy to go inside your sandwich. That being said, the fact that the steak will be paired with other ingredients enables you to use a steak of slightly lesser quality (and lower cost!). A rib eye steak is what we recommend but a roast or sirloin will also work well and make for a delicious sandwich. One of the keys is to always cut the meat into very thin slices, making the sandwich less chewy and more likely to just “melt” in your mouth.
How do you grill a thin cut ribeye steak?
Cooking a thin cut ribeye is not difficult at all. If you have an outdoor grill, simply heat the grill on high, then sear the steaks on the grill plates, flipping halfway through. A medium steak, which is what we recommend cooking the steaks to in this recipe, cooks on a grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Change the cook time for the steak to suit your personal preferences!
How do you slice steak for a sandwich?
Once the steak has cooked, you want to let it sit for a few minutes before slicing into it. Once it has had a little “resting time”, use a very sharp chef’s knife to cut the meat against the grain of the meat. Cut the steaks into as thin slices as possible to prevent your sandwich from being too chewy. The thinly sliced meat will melt in your mouth and make your sandwich much easier to eat!
If you loved this recipe and want to try even more recipes from us, sign up for our email to have new, exciting and easy recipes sent right to you! You can also simply explore our website to find some perfect recipes to try right now. Enjoy!Print
Steak Sandwiches with Mushrooms and Herb Cream Cheese
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
Perfect steak sandwiches made with rich cream cheese and mushrooms.
- 2 Rib-eye steaks
- 1 lb mushrooms (button or baby bella)
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1–2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tbs fresh cut chives
- 4–6 ciabatta rolls
- grill steaks to medium temperature, set aside and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice thin against the grain
- saute mushrooms in butter with garlic and thyme, Add salt and pepper to taste.
- mix cream cheese, chives, salt and pepper, and horseradish.
- Layer cream cheese on roll, followed by steak, and topped with mushrooms. Enjoy!
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper before cooking in order to tenderize the meat a little more and add a little more flavor.
- Cook the steaks in advance, slice the meat and then store it in an airtight container until you are ready to eat. The steak will keep in the fridge for up to a week and having the meat pre-sliced makes for a very quick lunch or dinner option.
- When cooking the sliced mushrooms, use olive oil instead of butter. Cutting out butter will lower the calorie count of the dish and you can use a little less olive oil to get the calories even lower.
- Choose ingredients that look delicious and fresh. If the sirloin at your local grocery store looks better than the rib eye, go with that instead! The basis of almost all great recipes is using quality ingredients.
- There are lots of great recipes available for homemade bread that you can use in place of ciabatta, making this meal even more impressive and tasty!
The beautiful cutting board you see these sandwiches sitting on is the Gripperwood Sheesham by Architec products, we love ours and it makes a beautiful addition to any kitchen, check prices on amazon for these and our other favorite Architec kitchen tools (affiliate):
Thanks for reading!
Leave a Reply