Taco Tater Tot Casserole
Making taco tater tot casserole is a fantastic way to switch up the classic taco night at your house, making it new and exciting. This recipe also only takes a matter of minutes to throw together, saving you time and still providing a delicious meal.
Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Tuesday taco night has become quite a trend and it is easy to see why- tacos are so delicious! While regular, traditional tacos are great, you may be looking for a new way to create your own Taco Tuesday. Our recipe for taco tater tot casserole is here to help!
With a base of perfectly golden tater tots, ground beef, taco seasoning and lots of cheese, this meal is packed with Mexican inspired flavors. In addition, it takes only about 10 minutes to get this dish in the oven (even less if you follow some of our tips below!). Choosing to make this version of tacos is a fantastic choice both on taco Tuesday and any regular weeknight when you need a fast but delicious meal.
How To Make Taco Casserole
I believe that anytime you make a casserole, it should be nice and simple. The whole idea behind casseroles is that there is only one dish required! So grease that casserole dish and then follow these simple and quick steps to prepare a perfect taco meal.
- Brown the ground beef in a hot skillet and then add in the taco seasoning mix.
- Place half of the frozen tater tots, half the shredded cheddar cheese and half of the ground beef mixture in the casserole dish.
- Add the remaining portions of the ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbling and the casserole is hot all the way through (about 40 minutes). Enjoy!
Thanks to the pre-cooked, crispy, frozen tater tots, it is so fast to put together a perfect taco-inspired meal!
Taco Tater Tot Casserole Variations
One thing that people love about tacos is that they are super easy to customize. You can easily choose your favorite toppings and filling choices to make your tacos exactly the way you like them. You can do the same with this recipe too! Here are a few things that I have added to the casserole in order to make it a little more filling and a little more personalized.
- Add some onion, diced finely, in the baking dish before you brown the ground beef.
- Mix a bag of frozen corn or a can of drained corn kernels into the ground beef mixture.
- Add some chopped tomatoes to the casserole, layering it in just like the other ingredients.
- Canned black beans, rinsed well, can be layered into the casserole. Sprinkle half the can over the tater tots before the browned ground beef.
- Pour some enchilada sauce over the top of the entire casserole before you add the last layer of cheese. This will take the tacos to a whole new level! Only use about a cup of enchilada sauce to prevent the tater tots from becoming too soggy. You can also just put the enchilada sauce on the side after the dinner has been cooked, using it as a dip or topping.
- After baking, top the casserole with sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro, and extra shredded Mexican cheese.
- Make the tater tot casserole a little spicy by layering some green chiles into the baking dish.
As you can see, there is a lot you can do with this simple recipe. Of course, you can always stick to it as written- we think it is perfect as is too.
Make-Ahead Taco Casserole
Classic style tacos do not always reheat well the next day. In fact, the taco shells can get super soggy and definitely do not hold up well in the fridge. However, our tater tot version of tacos heats up amazingly. It may even taste better the following day after the flavors have had time to mingle.
Place any leftovers in a container with a microwave cover. Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Whenever you are ready to enjoy the tater tot taco casserole again, simply place the entire container in the microwave and heat. The cover will help keep your microwave clean and also help the meal heat faster. You may want to make extra just to have some leftovers the next day!
Assemble Tacos and Burritos
One way to make this super simple recipe a little more traditional is to simply scoop the baked casserole into taco shells or to wrap it up in a burrito. All the flavor of tacos will still be there but in a much easier to make format. Place a scoop of the taco casserole in the center of a flour tortilla, sprinkle with some extra cheese, roll it up and enjoy a whole new kind of burrito!
So, are you ready to try a new kind of taco? Tater tot tacos are really going to change your world and this super simple recipe will be one you use all the time. We love to hear what you think of our recipes so send an email or leave a reply in the messages below. Enjoy!Print
This dish couldn’t be easier to put together and makes for a hot lunch or dinner that you and your kids will love.
- 1 bag of frozen tater tots (32oz – we used gluten free)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and prepare 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Brown meat in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Once the meat is fully cooked, add in taco seasoning and salt/pepper to taste
- Place half of the tater tots, taco meat and cheese to prepared dish
- Season with salt and pepper then add the remaining tater tots, meat and cheese
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired, then place uncovered in the oven
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown
- Adding veggies to the meal is a great way to increase the nutritional value of the meal as a whole. If you want to add corn, chopped zucchini, tomatoes or any other of your favorite vegetables, stir it into the meat mixture after it has been fully cooked.
- This recipe freezes very well so you may want to consider cooking two casseroles at once. Enjoy one right away and then wrap and freeze the other one for up to three months. When you are ready to enjoy the frozen one, just preheat oven temperature to 350 degrees F and heat for about 30 minutes or until defrosted.
- While extra cheese and sour cream are totally delicious on these tacos, you can easily cut back on the saturated fat by using reduced-fat cheese, low-fat sour cream or simply using less of each in the recipe. You can also look for a low-fat version of tater tots.