Chili cheese dip
A delicious chili cheese dip can make your next party or get together even better. With just 6 ingredients, you can quickly make a perfect party appetizer or special snack for you and your family to enjoy.
Homemade Chili Cheese Dip
A good chili cheese dip is something that people devour at parties. Scooping up that hot, melty, hearty dip is something that everyone loves. In fact, people tend to station themselves near a good chili cheese dip at those game day parties- no one wants to miss a delicious appetizer! With our easy recipe, you are going to be able to make a show-stopping dip that everyone at your next party is sure to crowd around…you may want to make double! But don’t worry, it is super easy to put together this homemade dip and the whole recipe, from start to finish, will only take you a few minutes total time!
How to Make a Chili Cheese Dip
We aren’t kidding when we say this recipe is easy to make. There really is no reason to ever buy pre made chili cheese dip ever again! Here is how we put together our chili dip:
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet until fully cooked and crumbles.
- Add the black beans, salsa and taco seasoning to the pan and mix everything together.
- Stir in the cheese and chili powder until the cheese is melted and mixed in well.
- Enjoy while hot!
With almost no prep time and just a few minutes of cook time, you will be eating a delicious dip that is way better than anything you could buy in the store. So ditch that Stagg chili dip that you usually buy for your parties and start making your own amazing chili cheese dip recipe.
Make Ahead Appetizer Recipe
Planning a party or get together can be time consuming. There are a lot of things you need to get ready to host a perfect event so anything that you can get done ahead of time is beneficial. Luckily our chili cheese dip is perfect to make in advance and tastes just as good reheated as it does the first day you make it.
- After you make the chili cheese dip recipe, place it in an airtight container and store in the fridge. The dip will stay good for about 5 days when sealed in the fridge.
- When you are ready to enjoy the dip, simply take it out of the fridge and heat it in a microwave until nice and hot.
- Stir the dip and serve while the cheese is nice and melted
Prep a big batch of this chili cheese dip days before your game day party and give yourself one less thing to do later on. You will be happy you did!
Can Cheese Dip be Frozen?
Our chili cheese dip can definitely be frozen and thawed later on. Once you make the recipe as directed, place it in an airtight container and freeze for up to two months. Place the chili cheese dip in the microwave to thaw and reheat whenever you are ready to serve it.
If you are concerned about the chili cheese dip drying out in the freezer, we have a few tips to make sure it comes out of the freezer as creamy and smooth as it was the day you made it.
- Add about 1/2 cup of cream cheese to the warm, thawed dip. Cream cheese chili dip has extra flavor and will make sure your dip is thick and creamy after being in the freezer.
- Add about a half cup more shredded cheese to make the chili cheese dip extra cheesy after freezing.
- Be sure to store the chili dip well sealed to prevent the drying air of the freezer from getting inside the container.
A few extra ingredients can bring frozen dip back to like, however, they aren’t always necessary. Our dip recipe freezes well on it’s own!
Chili Cheese Dip Variations
Looking to switch up our recipe and make it even better? We have a few ideas about how you can make our recipe your own by adding or changing just a few ingredients. Take a look at these ideas (and leave a reply below if you have any ideas of your own!).
- Add half a cup of cream cheese to the mix along with the shredded cheddar cheese to make the dip even smoother.
- Try using a different kind of cheese instead of Velveeta. Shredded cheddar, a Mexican blend, all cream cheese and even blue cheese chili will be delicious.
- Use ground beef instead of ground sausage. Ground turkey or chicken also work perfectly in chili recipes.
- Increase the amount of chili powder to make a spicier chilis dip. Or, reduce the amount of chili powder in the ingredients to make a more mild chili recipe.
There are lots of ways to switch up our recipes and this chili dip can be tweaked in so many ways. Of course, we think it is perfect as written!
We love to hear how you enjoyed our recipes and want to know exactly how much you loved this dip, chili cheese is our favorite! Sign up for our emails to get more recipes sent straight to your inbox. Fast, easy and flavorful recipes are what we are all about!Print
Perfect for your next holiday Party!
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese (cut in cubes)
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Once the meat is fully cooked, add in the black beans, salsa and taco seasoning
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes
- Add in the cheese and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes
- Transfer to a serving serving dish or keep it on the stove (on low) to stay warm.
- Serve this recipe with a side of tortilla chips or use it as a filling for burritos and tacos. It can help take your tacos to the next level with very little extra effort!
- Once the recipe is cooked completely through, pour it into a slow cooker and set the cooker to the “warm setting”. This is a perfect way to keep your dip nice and hot and the ingredients melted together during your party or get together. Guests can scoop the chili right out of the slow cooker and onto their plates!
- Add a few chopped bell peppers or jalapenos to the ground sausage as it cooks to add some more great, spicy chili taste.