This breakfast egg muffins with bacon recipe is a complete meal that you can make quickly and take on the go! You don’t need a plate or a fork to enjoy this tasty version of bacon and eggs.
Healthy Breakfast Muffin Cups
Many people tend to rush breakfast especially during the week. You are likely in a hurry to get to work, get to school, transport your kids or, maybe you are just still a little groggy and too tired to cook. That is when you should reach for this recipe. Bacon egg muffins are actually extremely easy to make and are a complete breakfast, containing lots of protein that will keep you full throughout the morning.
This recipe is also a solution to eating bacon and eggs in the car or as you run around throughout your busy morning. Rather than sit down with a plate, a fork and a bunch of eggs and bacon at breakfast, you can pick these muffin cups up and take them with you- no utensils needed! Now you can have the eggs that you love, the bacon that you crave and the convenience that you need all wrapped up in one healthy little breakfast muffin cup.
How To Make Egg Muffins
Now you may be wondering how to whip up these tasty egg muffin cups, so let’s get into some details about this recipe(don’t worry, they are not complicated!). To begin this recipe, you really only need 4 essential ingredients– eggs, bacon crumbles(we love using HORMEL®, salt and pepper). I like a little green onion to be added in as well but it is just for bonus flavor and not required.
- Begin by preheating your oven and spraying a muffin tin with cooking spray. The cooking spray will help the egg muffins slide right out of the pan when they are done, making clean up extra easy. You can also grease the pan with butter or oil- both will work great.
- Each egg is then cracked into one muffin tin cup. You don’t need to whisk the egg or stir the egg at all, just crack one egg in and move on to the next one!
- Then the bacon crumbles are sprinkled on top of each egg muffin. You can purchase HORMEL® bacon crumbles that are already cooked and packaged for convenience.
- Once the egg muffins are in the muffin tin and sprinkled with bacon, salt and pepper (and green onion from the recipe if you are using it), they go right into the preheated oven to cook. You can even use a countertop convection oven so you don’t even need to turn your entire oven on!
- The egg muffins take about 12-15 minutes to cook and will be firm to the touch when they are ready (make a note in your recipe for how long the egg muffins took to cook in your personal oven so next time you will be prepared!).
- Let them cool for a few minutes before popping them out of the muffin tin and directly into your mouth- you’re going to love them.
Making Egg Muffins In Advance
If you are worried about prep time with this recipe, the 20 minutes total cook time that it takes to fully make these muffins or just time in general, you can definitely make these egg muffin cups in advance. In fact, they will last about 4-5 days in the refrigerator after being cooked.
Make the muffins as directed without changing anything (except add some extra bacon if you want a treat). Then, remove them from the muffin tin once cooled, place on a plate and wrap with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Your meal prep is done!
During the week, when you need breakfast in a hurry, pop a few of the bacon egg muffins into the microwave for about 15 seconds and your breakfast muffins are ready to go! Bacon and breakfast eggs have never been so easy.
And, it will be nice to know that you have a delicious breakfast that is loaded with nutrition (but not too many calories) ready and waiting each morning. You may want to make a few extra as any family members in your home are likely to want breakfast egg muffins with bacon too…
If you want to be extra ambitious and make a really big batch of breakfast egg muffins with bacon, you can individually wrap the muffins once cooked and freeze them. The bacon egg muffins will keep in the freezer, when wrapped well, for about a month.
- Move a few frozen bacon muffins to the fridge the night before you would like to eat them.
- Heat the thawed egg muffins in the microwave for 15 seconds. It is important to thaw the muffins first so that they do not get rubbery when reheated.
- Enjoy when they are hot from the microwave
Bacon Egg Muffin Additions
Looking to add a little something extra to your bacon eggs muffins ? No problem! There are plenty of delicious and healthy ingredients you can add to make the muffins even more perfect. It is also a great way to experiment with recipes, making the egg muffins have the nutrition, calories, protein and nutrients you want.
You can choose to add more bacon or ham to your egg muffins to get extra protein. Vegetables lend amazing nutrients and taste. Recipes like this are amazingly flexible, getting you your perfect breakfast!
Here are some additions to try:
- Chopped mushrooms
- Chopped spinach
- Cheddar cheese
While you can just sprinkle these ingredients into the cup as you do with the bacon, you can also choose to mix everything together, whisking the eggs with a little milk too, to create a whole new breakfast muffin. Place the eggs in a bowl along with a splash of milk (a teaspoon or two will do!). Whisk with a fork and add the ingredients you choose to the egg mixture, stirring well.
This delicious recipe takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish and feeds a small crowd (also known as a family). The best part is the REAL BACON FLAVOR. We always make these with HORMEL® Bacon Toppings to enhance the muffins with the delicious flavor of 100% real bacon. We don’t even have to force our families to the kitchen when these Simple Breakfast Muffins are in the oven. One whiff of bacon and the family comes running in begging to eat!
We hope this quick and easy recipe is enough to get you in the kitchen cooking for your family just one more meal each week! Also be sure to Visit Hormel Foods for more information, recipes, savings/coupons, and newsletter signup. You can also click on this link for more Easy Recipe Ideas. Enjoy! =)
These nutritious and tasty egg muffins are the perfect breakfast to go!
- 6 whole eggs
- 3 oz bacon toppings
- sea salt + black pepper
- green onion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450(F) degrees and prepare a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Break one egg into each muffin slot, then drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of crumbled bacon.
- Bake for about 12-15 mins or until muffin tops are firm. Carefully remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with green onions and/or sprinkle hot sauce for extra flavor.