Easy healthy banana bread muffins
A fresh, warm, homemade muffin is something that dreams are made of and our easy healthy banana bread muffins recipe can help make that dream come true. This recipe is simple, full of tasty ingredients and will make every morning fantastic with just one bite.
Super Moist Banana Bread Muffins
If you have ever had a really amazing banana bread muffin, you know that the best ones are moist and hearty. Not every muffin recipe can achieve this perfect texture and tasty however, our recipe definitely does! Our banana bread muffins come out of the oven tender and tasty, better than any banana muffin you can find in a grocery store or coffee shop. These muffins are the best! Since they are also easy to make, it is sure to be a recipe that you make frequently. We know this is a recipe you will love.
How to Make Banana Bread Muffins
Making muffins is always pretty easy. They come together with just a quick mix of a few simple ingredients. Our healthy banana muffins are definitely simple and take almost no prep time to put together. Take a look at how we blend these ingredients for our recipe- you will see for yourself how easy it is!
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare a muffin tin with paper muffin liners. If you do not want to turn your big oven on, consider baking these banana muffins in a countertop convection oven which will work perfectly!
- Mix the dry ingredients (the almond flour, teaspoon baking soda and cinnamon) together in a large bowl. Make sure the leaveners are well mixed into the flour so that the batter bakes evenly. YOu may also want to sift the flour to make for a smoother batter
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl, mixing in the 1/3 cup almond milk, eggs, ripe bananas, vanilla and 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup. Blend using a hand mixer or just a rubber spatula until the batter is smooth.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the muffins for about 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the banana muffin center comes out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly then enjoy your homemade, healthy banana muffins!
Essentially all you need to do to make this muffin recipe come together is measure and mix! Once baked, you will likely eat the majority of the muffins but, if there are any left overs, store them in airtight containers until you are ready to enjoy them later on.
How Long are Banana Muffins Good For?
While we strongly believe that these muffins will not stick around too long (they just taste so good!), you may need to store them in order to keep them fresh. Banana muffins will keep for about a week at room temperature when stored in airtight containers. You can even place the muffins in a large, gallon sized zippered freezer bag and freeze them for up to three months. Take a muffin out anytime you crave that delicious banana taste and microwave it for about 30 seconds to help it thaw quickly. It will be just like eating a muffin hot out of the oven!
Healthy Banana Bread Muffins
With all the banana muffin recipes out there, you want to be sure that the recipe you choose is healthy. It is easy to make a healthy muffin when you choose the right ingredients. Our banana muffins definitely fit into the healthy category and here is why:
- Our muffin recipe is full of ripe bananas which add lots of nutritional value. Bananas are high in potassium, vitamin C and will fill you up which means you will eat less food throughout the day, therefore leading to weight loss.
- Our healthy recipe uses 2 1/2 cup of almond flour rather than traditional wheat flour. Almond flour is a much healthier alternative as almonds are full of nutrients, healthy fats and antioxidants. You can use other healthy flours in place of almond flour if needed. Replace half the almond flour with coconut flour, hazelnut flour or even just regular whole wheat flour to keep these muffins healthy while playing around with taste and texture of the recipe via various flour types.
- Almond milk has all the health benefits of almonds and is also low in calories and naturally sugar free. Almond milk can be replaced with coconut milk as well as a healthy alternative that is still dairy free. You can certainly use whole milk in this recipe if you do not need the dairy free quality.
- Our healthy banana muffins are sweetened with honey or maple syrup rather than granulated sugar. White, granulated sugar has almost no nutritional benefits while honey is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, making it much better that sugar. Honey is sweetener than sugar so you need less of it in order to sweeten the muffins. If you only have sugar on hand, you can use 1/4 cup sugar or brown sugar in place of honey but keep in mind that adding sugar will make these tasty muffins a little less healthy! (However, sugar or brown sugar will still taste great!)
- Our muffin recipe is actually free from butter, coconut oil or any kind of fat. The mashed bananas help replace the oil and fat that is in most banana muffin recipes.
- This recipe for healthy banana muffins is paleo, gulten free and vegetarian.
As you can see, our healthy banana muffins are a great way to start your morning or just to enjoy as a delicious snack. We mentioned freezing the muffins before and we strongly recommend making a double batch and freezing some muffins for later- it’s always good to have a healthy food on hand for when hunger strikes and 12 muffins just isn’t enough!
Banana Muffin Recipe Tricks
If you are like us, then you are always looking for ways to make things better. We love playing around with our recipes and seeing what alterations we can make to keep the recipe great yet give some new tasty options. Here are ways which we have made these banana muffins even better without adding prep time or baking time to the muffins:
- Add 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or 1/4 cup melted coconut oil to the batter to make the muffins even more moist and rich.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the muffin batter to enhance the flavors. Add the 1/2 teaspoon salt to the dry ingredients at the beginning of the recipe.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the batter, stirring the chocolate chips in at the end. Use dark chocolate chips to make sure to get the most health benefits from the chocolate. Chocolate chips add lots of flavor and make these muffins almost like a dessert.
- Try different kinds of flours to add new flavors and textures to the recipe. Almond flour works great but coconut flour, buckwheat flour, or amaranth flour are fun substitutions. You could even try banana flour to enhance the banana taste in the recipe.
If you have any more ideas on how to make these healthy banana muffins even better, leave a reply below and let us know your creative recipe alterations. We love to hear from you! Also, be sure to rate this recipe and let us know how much you loved it. A great recipe rating will show others how fantastic these banana muffins really are.
If you want to try more easy, delicious recipes, we have a lot! Reply your email address below and we will send you new, exciting recipes right to your inbox. We can’t wait to share more great recipes with you.Print
A wonderful recipe that you can make at the beginning of the week, setting up your weekday breakfasts for success!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350(F) degrees and prepare a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients (including banana) to a high speed blender for about 30 seconds then stir into dry mixture.
- Once everything is evenly combined, divide the batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 17-20 minutes of until edges are golden brown. Carefully remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- If you do not have a teaspoon baking soda on hand for this recipe, you can use baking powder in it’s place. Three teaspoons of baking powder is equal to one teaspoon of baking soda. Baking powder as a substitute will work well in this muffin recipe when mixed in with the flour and other dry ingredients.
- Ripe bananas are the best for muffins. In fact, the darker the bananas, the better! The more ripe the banana is, the more natural sugar it has and therefore, the sweeter your muffins will be without having to add extra sugar. If you have bananas at home that are starting to brown, place it in a zippered freezer bag and freeze for later. Whenever you want to make healthy banana muffins, you will be ready to go!
- If you do not have paper liners for the muffin tin, grease the muffin tray with coconut oil or baking spray. Coconut oil works well as it will add flavor to the muffins. Coconut oil also has some great health benefits and even a little bit will make this muffin recipe even healthier! 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil should be able to grease the entire muffin tin.