Cheddar cheese sticks
If you love cheddar cheese sticks then this recipe is going to be your new favorite thing. You will never buy premade cheese sticks again after you try one, delicious, homemade cheese stick!
Cheddar Cheese Sticks Recipe
Cheese sticks are an amazing party appetizer that always disappears quickly. They are also a great snack to have on hand when you want something super cheesy, tasty and a little bit decadent. Most of the time, people buy cheese sticks pre breaded and frozen and, while these can be good, they aren’t always great. If you feel this same way, then you need to try homemade cheesy sticks.
How to Make Cheddar Cheese Sticks
The secret to the ease of our recipe is the wonton wrappers we use in place of breadcrumbs. Coating cheese in breading can take a while and it really isn’t worth the hassle. Wonton wrappers are an easy substitute to breadcrumbs and they actually taste a whole lot crisper and better! Here is how we make our cheesey straws.
- Cut the sticks and place each one in the center of a wonton wrapper. You can buy the cheddar pre-cut or use a cheese slicer to cut them into perfect dowels.
- Brush the edge of the wonton wrapper with some egg white and then wrap the wonton wrapper around the cheese.
- Fry the wrapped straws in hot oil until the outside is golden brown.
- Serve with a side of marinara sauce, ranch dressing or any of your favorite dips!
It is just so easy to make your own cheese straws recipes that you will never need to buy those premade sticks again. This recipe is going to be your new favorite snack and party food ever- we know it!
Freezer Cheesey Sticks Recipe
Besides tasting awesome, our homemade cheesy straws are perfect for making in advance. Make the cheese straws recipe all the way up to wrapping the wonton wrappers. Then, place the straws in an airtight container or a large, gallon sized, zippered freezer bag. Freeze the recipe for up to a month. When you are ready to enjoy them, simply place them in the fridge overnight and then fry them before serving.
You can also make the cheesy sticks completely, frying them and then letting them cool before freezing. This is an even faster way to enjoy cheesy straws as they are all cooked and ready to eat! Take a few out of the freezer and pop them in the microwave to reheat. Enjoy right away while they are hot! It really is a perfect make ahead snack.
If you are looking to cut back on calories, fat or salt, we have options for you. This recipe of cheese straws can be easily altered to fit your dietary needs. Take a look at these simple fixes:
- Bake the recipe rather than frying it. This will cut back on calories from the fryer oil and also the fat in each serving. Place the straws on a foil lined sheet tray and bake for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven . The straws will be nicely golden brown, crispy and just as delicious without all the fat from frying.
- Choose a lower sodium cheese to cut back on salt. Many low salt cheeses taste just as good as regular, traditional cheeses.
- Add some protein to the recipe by wrapping some sliced deli ham, crumbled bacon or even some cooked ground beef in the wonton. Not only will you get a healthy boost of protein but you will add lots of extra flavor to the recipe.
Let us know how you modify our ingredients in order to make the cheesy straws of your dreams. Eating tasty food doesn’t mean that it has to be unhealthy!
Perfect Party Appetizers
Our recipe is the epitome of a perfect party food and we know that it will go perfectly on your next buffet or to pass around on game day. Here is why you should definitely give these cheddar cheesy straws out at your next get together:
- They are easy to eat and the perfect finger food. People can grab one or two and walk around, eat and enjoy- no plates needed!
- You can make them in advance which means less work for you the day of the party. Have the recipe completely cooked and in the freezer weeks in advance. All you will need to do is heat the straws up and serve!
- You can pair this recipe with all kinds of dips, giving everyone their favorite dips and sauces. Place a cup of marinara on the side or maybe serving this recipe with salsa is your thing. Either way, people will love them!
You should clearly plan on serving this recipe at your next get together. Your guests will be very impressed by your culinary abilities (and we won’t tell them that this recipe only required a few simple ingredients and barely any time at all!).
If you love this recipe and are interested in getting more fantastic recipes from us, sign up to receive our emails. We will send awesome, time saving, recipes straight to your inbox. You can also feel free to browse our site and search for recipes that you have been wanting to make. We have hundreds of great dishes right here! As always, let us know what you think in the comments below- we hope you enjoyed our recipe!
More Simple RecipesPrint
Melted Cheddar Cheese Sticks
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Appetizer
Kids and adults will go crazy for these cheesesticks and, since they are so easy to make, you can serve them anytime! A perfect finger food for an afternoon snack or a party appetizer.
- 1 package cheddar cheese sticks (or slice a block of cheese)
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1 egg white, beaten
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Place each stick of cheddar cheese in center of a wonton wrapper. Moisten edges of wrappers with egg white then fold wontons in half to form triangle. Fold edges again and roll.
- Press edges of wonton wrappers to seal. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place wontons in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until wrapper is golden brown.
- Carefully remove wontons from skillet and drain excess oil on paper towels. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Try different cheeses in this recipe. Replace the cheddar with mozzarella, swiss and even blue cheese crumbles. This is an easy way to make the recipe new and exciting while still keeping it simple and easy.
- Buy extra wonton wrappers and freeze them. The wrappers thaw quickly so anytime you’d like to make this recipe, you will have the ingredients on hand, ready to use!
- Wrapping meat inside the wonton along with the cheese is a great way to add protein and make this recipe more of a complete meal. They will be much more filling and hearty when you wrap in your favorite deli sliced meats!
These look amazing!!