I am taking a bit of inspiration from the Farmer’s Market this week. I was reading an article about buying seasonal produce, and it reminded me to take a look and see what actually is in season in May. I’m sure you’ve noticed that asparagus has been ALL over the place lately. I checked the list and turns out it is in season in May, along with spinach. I’ve been desperate for a new salad recipe lately, so I took it as a challenge to create this healthy spinach, asparagus and strawberry salad. I think you’ll find our updated version of the classic spinach and strawberry salad not only delicious, but full of heart healthy vegetables rich in antioxidants and nutrients.
This salad makes a perfect lunch on its own, thanks to the hearty asparagus, tangy goat cheese, and crunchy almonds. Pair it with a grilled chicken breast or some pork tenderloin and it makes a filling spring/summertime dinner perfect for any weeknight or to entertain on the weekends. The flavor combination of this salad is amazing. I love a little sweetness (like from the strawberries) paired with the freshness of the asparagus and spinach. Top it with some lightly toasted almonds and some honey mustard dressing and this will quickly become your go to salad for the season. Enjoy!
Fresh and delicious salad made with asparagus, strawberries and spinach.
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed.
- 1 bunch baby spinach
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cub sliced toasted almonds
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute and submerge in ice bath. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine spinach, sliced strawberries, asparagus, almonds, and goat cheese in large salad bowl
- Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a mason jar and shake until well mixed.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss, and serve.