This nutella French toast recipe is going to blow you away. It’s decadent, chocolatey and just delicious. We love it for breakfast but it is absolutely dessert worthy as well!
Nutella Stuffed French Toast
When I think of this French toast, I automatically think of a decadent breakfast that it probably complicated and time-consuming to make. All of these assumptions are incorrect, especially when using this super easy recipe! In fact, making stuffed French toast only takes a few minutes and requires very few ingredients.
You can have a perfect breakfast completely cooked and ready to eat in about 15 minutes, from start to finish. And, the breakfast will be impressive, loaded with flavor and very filling!
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Making stuffed French toast is much easier than one would imagine. Stuffed French toast is essentially two pieces of bread sandwiched together with your choice of filling (in this case, nutella).
Once the filling is added and the sandwich is made, it is dipped in an egg mixture and then cooked in a hot skillet. The egg batter cooks until it’s golden brown and the filling of the French toast gets nice and soft.
Once cooked, the hot French toast is ready to be served. You can top it off with your choice of either maple syrup or powdered sugar. Nutella stuffed French toast recipes do not have to be hard. This recipe is the perfect example of how easy breakfast can be.
Healthy Nutella Recipe
Nutella is made with hazelnuts and chocolate. Due to its incredible taste and sweetness, it is often considered to be unhealthy. While eating an entire container of nutella may not be the best choice and adding it to all of your recipes may be overkill, there are a few things about nutella that are, actually, nutritious.
Hazelnuts have healthy fats, protein, fiber and lots of vitamin E. Dark chocolate has fiber, antioxidants, iron, magnesium and much more. Some pre made nutella does have added sugar but, if you want to avoid this, try making your own!
- Add three cups toasted hazelnuts, 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Store the homemade nutella in an airtight container or use right away!
Now you have a very healthy way to make and enjoy nutella that is completely guilt free! You are going to love this spread and you can use it in any recipes that call for nutella as well. Make nutella toast, have a quick slice of bread with nutella or use it as a dip.
Nutritious Bread Option
Using homemade nutella will definitely add to the nutritional content of this recipe. But the bread slices are another factor. While you can definitely use white bread slices, wheat bread or whole grain bread in french toast recipes, I opted to use Ezekiel bread. If you have never heard of Ezekiel bread, it is a super healthy, very hearty bread that is perfect to use for French toast.
Here are some tid bits about Ezekiel bread:
- It’s made from sprouted grains which are unprocessed, preserving all the nutritional benefits of grains
- Has no added sugars, additives or chemicals
- Contains 4 kinds of grains and also legumes
- Helps you absorb nutrients thanks to the sprouted grains
- Has lots of folate, fiber and vitamins
Overall, Ezekiel bread is one of the healthiest bread choices you can make. When you spread nutella across it, dip it in a healthy egg mixture and sear it in a skillet, it is very tasty and no one will ever know how nutritious it really it! A perfect way to easily add nutrition into your diet.
Make it Vegan
A delicious vegan french toast is something that is hard to achieve. However, this recipe is perfect for anyone following a vegan diet with just a few quick alterations.
- Use the homemade nutella recipe listed above, using vegan dark chocolate.
- Replace the egg with 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (you can grind whole chia seeds in a coffee grinder like one of these, pulsing them until they are a fine powder).
- Use your favorite vegan milk
That is it! Follow the recipe as written and you will have the tastiest vegan nutella French toast you have ever tried. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends and spread the vegan French toast love!
Don’t Miss our New Recipes! Follow Us on Social for the Latest Ones!
Check out more of our simple breakfast recipes below:
Talk about a decadent breakfast. This full flavor, over the top French toast will surely be a favorite in your home.
- 2 slices of bread (we use Ezekiel!)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons Nutella
- sliced strawberries (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Spread Nutella on one slice of bread then top it off with the other slice (basically make a sandwich).
- Whisk egg and milk in a small bowl. Dip the Nutella sandwich in the egg mixture until covered.
- Toast sandwich in a small skillet on medium high for a couple of minutes on each side or until the bread is fully toasted. Serve on a small topped with powdered sugar and/or strawberries.
- After making nutella stuffed French toast many times, we have a few tips and tricks that will help you perfect this recipe.
- Our recipe for nutella stuffed french toast is very simple and tastes fantastic. However, you can make a few alterations to make it extra special. Add a half teaspoon of cinnamon or some vanilla extract to the egg mix for some more flavor. Sprinkle the french toast with powdered sugar once it has been plated. Drizzle some maple syrup over the nutella on toast or add a few fresh strawberries. Little changes like these can make your breakfast even more amazing!
- Always double or triple this recipe and share this special breakfast with your family and friends- they will be super impressed and love enjoying such a delicious, healthy breakfast!
- Heat about a half tablespoon of coconut oil or butter in your skillet before adding the French toast slices. This will help prevent the stuffed French toast from sticking to the pan, make the toast golden brown and also add a little extra flavor.