Simple Mexican Rice Bowl
Happy New Year! Time to dust off those running shoes, start drinking 8 glasses of water a day, and eat all those healthy foods you’ve been meaning to. I’m not sure about the you, but I am SO ready to get back on track with eating right. I’ve been on a bit of a “break” since Thanksgiving and my body is craving some simple, healthy food.
My personal resolution is to eat more plant based meals. I’ve been incorporating some into our weekly menu for some time now, but I’d like to increase the frequency even more. So, in light of my resolution…here is a plant based meal to start your new year off right!
Creating a Healthy Mexican Rice Bowl
I’m not sure about your kids, but mine really enjoy “making their own” salads or rice bowls. I give them a healthy base to start and then put out a variety of toppings to choose from. This particular dinner is a combination of a salad and and rice bowl, and it’s already one of my kids most requested dinners.
This recipe starts with a hearty serving of fresh leafy greens. I buy whatever looks good at the store that day…organic if possible. The blend I used for this dinner was kale, swiss chard, and spinach. The next layer is a flavorful brown rice made with onions, celery, garlic, and a good amount of salsa.
Black Bean Rice Bowl
Next comes the sauteed black beans. I use this combination a ton, and it’s always so good. Start with onions and garlic, then add cumin, oregano, and white wine. Throw in a can of black beans and simmer until all the liquid is cooked out and the beans are tender. It really is delicious, and takes black beans to a whole new level.
Healthy Vegetable Rice Bowl
That is the”base” of this healthy Mexican rice bowl. From here I let the kids add what they like. I offered cut up red peppers, sauteed corn, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, and avocado. I think they added everything except the jalapeno (but my husband and I added a good amount on our own plates).
The color alone in this meal is beautiful, not to mention how incredible easy and affordable it is. And filling! Who knew a vegan meal could leave you feeling so satisfied? This is such a healthy dinner, rich in healthy fats, whole grains, protein, and fiber. It really is a great way to start your new year off right. Enjoy!
Healthy Mexican Rice Bowl Recipe Ingredients
- Brown rice
- Vegetable broth
- Onion, diced
- Celery stalk
- Garlic cloves
- White wine
- Cumin (also see Cumin Substitutes)
- Olive oil
More Simple Mexican Recipes
- 1,000 Mexican Recipes
- 21 Healthy Family Recipes
- Mexican Rice and Beans
- Slow Cooker Mexican Hashbrown Casserole
- Crockpot Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced divided
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped divided
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- For the rice:
- Saute ½ onion, celery and garlic in 1 tbs olive oil until translucent and slightly browned. About 5 minutes. Add uncooked rice, salsa, and vegetable stock and cook rice covered on low for about 25 minutes, or until done.
- For the beans:
- Saute ½ onion in 1 tbs olive oil for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add cumin and oregano, black beans and white wine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer on med-low heat until liquid has cooked out, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble Bowls:
- Start with greens of your choice, add rice, beans, and then top with any or all of the following:
- thawed frozen corn
- chopped bell peppers
Note: Simple Green Moms is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.