More specifically, we have some simple tips on how to feed yourself and/or your family lots of good nutritious meals without breaking the bank. So without further ado, let’s get started!
1. Shop in Season! Typically, in season produce is at its peak nutritionally and is almost always far less expensive.
This time of year, fresh asparagus, berries and melon are super cheap and tasty.
2. Jot down your main meal ideas for the week and stick to the plan so you only buy what you actually need.
It’s also great to skim through your freezer and/or cupboards before grocery shopping to see if you can use anything you already have on hand.
3. Pay attention to which stores have the lowest prices on the items you always buy (like oats, rice, chicken, eggs, etc.).
One store may have strawberries at a mega discount this week, but if everything else you need to buy is priced higher, it’s not worth the bargain.
4. Purchase foods you can easily mix and match to make a variety of different meals. Things like rice, potatoes, peppers + onions, eggs, and chicken are great for this!
Avoid experimenting with too many new foods you aren’t sure you and/or your family will enjoy. Specialty items usually cost more as well.
5. Make your own marinades and dressings with different combinations of oils + vinegars + citrus juice + spices. That’s all it really takes to pump up the flavor factor on your staple items!
6. Drink mostly water! Water is free. And good for you. Plus you can add tons of flavor at minimal cost with things like lemon wedges, cucumber slices or frozen watermelon.
We would love to hear any other simple tips + tricks you have for feeding yourself and/or your family well on a budget! =)